PDA

View Full Version : Question about Quadracut/Double Blades on Honda Push Mower

joed
06-05-2011, 07:45 PM
With Fathers Day around the corner, the family and I decided to buy my father a new mower. This will replace his 1985 Lawn Boy 2 stroke push model that has faithfully served him but is now on its last legs.

My father's lot has about 2500 sq feet of turf. He loves to take care of it and fertilizes the heck out of it. In addition, he mulches or side discharges.

The mower he wants is the entry level Honda push mower listed in the link below. Model number should be the HRS216pda.
http://www.hondapowerequipment.com/products/modeldetail.aspx?page=modeldetail&section=P2LM&modelname=HRS216K3PDA&modelid=HRS2163PDA

The dealer wants an additional $40 for the qudra-cut/double blades. My questions about this is:
1. How well do they work? Will the mulch wet, thick grass in one pass without leaving any clumps?

2. The unit comes standard with the high lift blade. That should work good for side-discharging. However, would the quadra-cut blades decrease the performance of the unit in side-discharge mode?

Thanks, in advance, for the responses.

MOturkey
06-05-2011, 08:46 PM
I have basically the same mower, although mine is about 8 years old. I also have a newer self-propelled, can't tell you the model without going out and looking at it, which has the quad blade system. Honestly, I haven't used the self-propelled much at all, because shortly after I bought it, I ended up with no fenced yards with small gates. I still use the old push model, because it is light enough for me to lift in and out of my pickup without help, and I have two or three places I still have a need for a 21.

All that said, I really can't tell much difference between the cut of the two mowers, especially if the grass is mowed regularly, which it sounds as if it will be. One thing though, that Honda is probably the hardest to push mower I've ever owned. The rear wheels are ball bearing, but the front aren't, and that plus the small wheels all around make it a booger to push and maneuver, and, it is far from being light. Of course, 2500 feet is a pretty small area, so if your dad is in reasonably good shape, he will likely have no problem. I owned a Craftsman several years ago (yow, I know), before I went into the mowing business which had the large wheels on the rear. Don't understand why all mowers don't have those. Made a ton of difference in the way it pushed and maneuvered.

One thing about Honda, though, they take a licking and keep on ticking. Mine has been hauled around in the pickup for the past two seasons, and never gets unloaded at night, and still starts the very first pull every time.

joed
06-06-2011, 08:15 PM
MOturkey, thanks for the response. Any one else have any experience with this mower?

topsites
06-06-2011, 09:09 PM
Yes, I have the HRR216, great mower, light as feathers, the $40 includes labor!

rlitman
06-07-2011, 10:50 AM
I've got the HRX217HXA. Sinfully heavy mower at about 110lbs, it moves around easy with the self-propel.
Anyway, the picture sums it up. Wet grass, WAY tall, mulched completely with the quadra-cut blades.
https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-loRBJWDBnhE/Te46b7QLc9I/AAAAAAAABlA/S3kScvZsKps/s400/DSC_2138.JPG

BINKY1902
06-07-2011, 03:49 PM
I have the same mower as Topsites, the 216. I got it from Home Depot for $399. It's very light at about 80 lbs, and the double blades are definately worth it. I think HD stills has it on sale. I also like the drive system, very firm and strong feeling. Mine will almost pull me around if I let it. I use it on four back yard gates right now, and a couple of rough ditches I have. Cleanest cut I've ever gotten out of a 21". I would go ahead and get the rear wheel drive if I were you, forget the pushing.

Maco Services
06-07-2011, 05:07 PM
I've owned every honda model in the last 2 years, new and old, with the exception of the electric start models.

Every single one of them we have the double blad mulch setup on it, and love them. I would highly recommend it. The lower blade will take the brunt of the wear, with the upper just helping mulching a bit more than a single, so he wont be changing/sharpening it as often as the bottom.

I say go for it. I could care less about the weight, if it cuts better, its worth it. The hondas have longer handles, and a good pivot on the rear wheel, even if they are heavier.

T888
06-07-2011, 06:00 PM
i have an HRX and would not go with any thing else. the duble blades on it are really good. it cuts stuff up really small

scooter487
06-07-2011, 06:16 PM
I've been cutting 17 residential lawns with my new HS216 this year. i started with the single blade. The mower was bogging in the damp, thicker grass because of all the rain we've had lately. I went and bought the upper blade to double them up two weeks ago. What a difference!! Mulches everything to dust. I use the side discharge when it's damp and the clippings come out super fine. Worth every penny!!

joed
06-07-2011, 09:00 PM
I've been cutting 17 residential lawns with my new HS216 this year. i started with the single blade. The mower was bogging in the damp, thicker grass because of all the rain we've had lately. I went and bought the upper blade to double them up two weeks ago. What a difference!! Mulches everything to dust. I use the side discharge when it's damp and the clippings come out super fine. Worth every penny!!

Thanks for all the advice and photos fellows. I really appreciate it. Seems like the quadracut systems is a real gm. Scooter, do you find the hrs216 heavy to push around?

scooter487
06-08-2011, 06:45 AM
It seems a little heavy, but this is the first year I'm using a gas push mower, so I'm a little light on experience:canadaflag:. I know I'm going for the commercial self propelled for next year.

JABBERS
06-24-2011, 04:30 PM
how are these honda motors on ditches? I burn out a most lawn mowers very quickly