PDA

View Full Version : Tiller recommendations anyone???

Greyst1
06-05-2011, 10:07 PM
Looking to buy a tiller, anybody have a recommendation or thoughts on which is better.

Front or rear??

Need some help thanks....

SouthSide Cutter
06-05-2011, 10:36 PM
Had a Troy rear tine, Got a Honda FR700 rear tine now and really like it. Just got a Snapper front tine from a customer. Needed a small one to get between rows in my garden. What a piece of chit tiller. Works ok for me doing what I do with it. Garden is already worked good. But in dirt that is not it vibrates so bad the engine starts to miss. And you could do a better job I think with a ICE PICK!!!!

TuffWork
06-05-2011, 11:40 PM
I got a tiller next to a dumpster one day with a seized motor. The tines are 2 feet across and it was a crapsman. I bought a 6.5 hp harbor freight motor to put on it and it works amazing. If you have time to cruise craigslist and put in a new motor you can get one for pennies. I've got $120 into mine with a two year warranty on the motor. It's EASY to put in a new motor on one of these if you are mechanically inclined at all. Find a good shell to put a motor on if at all possible. Used mine today.

Also, I prefer front tines. They seem easier to maneuver.

Poontamer
06-05-2011, 11:40 PM
Blue Bird
Posted via Mobile Device

Bilrus61
06-05-2011, 11:51 PM
Is it for your home garden or for part of a landscaping business? Rear tine is much better. For a cheap one look on Craigslist for some old troy bilt that can be re-engined. If your wanting new, do a internet search for a Grillo 85. For a mini tiller like you might need for island flowerbeds I've found the Honda FG110 is pretty tough to beat. We also have a mantis (same as the Echo) and its very tough and works great as a edger. Its two cycled engine can be fussy sometimes. The Honda FG 110 is not proven but the engine is the GX commerical grade on it. Some of the early Honda mini tillers had gear box issues.

topsites
06-05-2011, 11:58 PM
Rear tine.

Greyst1
06-06-2011, 01:24 AM
This would be for my landscaping business. Mainly for bed design/installs. Im the type of guy who like new and i checked out the grillo, looks bad ars but maybe not be the most maneuverable.

Anybody know anything about the Husqvarna's?

White Gardens
06-06-2011, 02:12 AM
BCS (http://bcs-america.com/) Makes the best tiller now in my eyes.

wimpy
06-06-2011, 03:01 AM
The honda frc 800 is a weak POS. Barreto makes the best tillers. FACT.

mdlwn1
06-06-2011, 08:32 AM

Funny that you mentioned this. I rented "whatever they had" from my local dealer and it was a BCS. Used it for my veggie garden and have to say it did an excellent job...much more so than expected. I would have guessed that they are all the same..until I used this. The finished product after tilling was this perfect granular "potting soil" like medium...left in perfect rows. The machine I used was on the smaller side, so it would only go to depth of 10' or so with SOME effort.

ProTouch Groundscapes
06-06-2011, 09:17 AM
Ive never used a forward rotating tine tiller that Ive liked. Too much tine walking. I bought a cub cadet rt65 for 700 bucks and beat the shite out of this thing and it still works like a champ. you can change tine rotation forward or reverse. Its a big tiller that i use for small lawn installs or small patio installs instead of renting a mini ex or skid steer.

White Gardens
06-06-2011, 09:53 AM
If you go used, try to find an old Troy-Built horse tiller.

That or an older Ariens tiller. I've got an older Ariens 8 horse and the thing is a beast and tills super deep.

Will P.C.
06-06-2011, 07:00 PM
If you go used, try to find an old Troy-Built horse tiller.

That or an older Ariens tiller. I've got an older Ariens 8 horse and the thing is a beast and tills super deep.

+1
None of the newer tillers I have used could come close to the deep soil destruction that the Troy Built could do

Grott
06-06-2011, 07:24 PM
Rear tine for sure...

On the cheap, the Troy Built Horse gets another vote tough and heavy and I think parts are still available.

I really like the BCS I rented and it has other non tiller attachments, it's kinda a walk behind tractor. It might do some other things for you too. But it's a boat load more money.

G

SouthSide Cutter
06-06-2011, 07:43 PM

That is what I am getting next a 732 BCS

jtsnipe
06-06-2011, 10:10 PM
That is what I am getting next a 732 BCSBCS is definitely on the wish list.

White Gardens
06-07-2011, 12:04 AM
I really like the BCS I rented and it has other non tiller attachments, it's kinda a walk behind tractor. It might do some other things for you too. But it's a boat load more money.

G

There is tons of attachments for it. A sulky, harrows, cycle bars, rotary mowers, sweepers, etc. BCS TILLER ATTACHMENTS (http://earthtoolsbcs.com/)

I'd love to have a BCS with the rotary plow. That thing looks sweet.

Reliable 1
06-07-2011, 10:27 AM
I own a TROY BILT HORSE and it does a good job.....but I've rented a BCS before, and it is by far a superior tiller....very durable, hard or soft ground and numerous attachments. If I had to replace my TB, I'd buy a BCS....but your gonna pay more....but it will be well worth it.

probe1957
06-07-2011, 10:58 AM
I have a Mantis. I consider it more of a cultivator than a tiller.

metro36
06-07-2011, 11:09 AM
Mantis is good for small spaces where the ground isnt too hard.

My favorite tiller is a barretto. They are a fully hydraulic tiller and will chew through anything. They are what most rental places have for full size tillers.