PDA

View Full Version : Can you recommend a cabover???

KenH
10-14-2002, 09:57 PM
Does not have to be 4WD. Mainly used for groundskeeping business, hauling brush/leaves/mulch/ not my mowers. Would you recommend diesel vs gas??

Mits vs Isuzu??? Just started looking and need some advice. Thanks

dlandscaping
10-14-2002, 10:45 PM
Does it have to be a cabover. When i went pricing a f550 was about the same price with the psd.

AL Inc
10-14-2002, 10:52 PM
Ken-I have a 1995 UD (Nissan). My truck has the 6 cylinder turbo diesel, which I would definitely recommend. Have not had an ounce of trouble with this truck in the 2 years I have owned it. Truck had about 60,000 miles on it when I bought it, and I've heard you can get 200,000 or more. I use it mostly for maintenance, pulling a 16' enclosed trailer, but I've loaded it with stone, mulch, pallets of fert, you name it. Not a real fast truck, but it will get the job done. I don't think you can go wrong with any of the cabover trucks.

KenH
10-14-2002, 11:01 PM
Thanks...

dlandscaping----It doesnt have to be a cabover. They just seemed like the perfect truck for me.

This was some of the info I was looking for.

gene gls
10-14-2002, 11:53 PM
Ken,

I have a Mitsi 4 cyl diesel auto with a 10' platform dump. The wheel base is shorter than my 3/4 Chevy pickup. Its no ball of fire on the hills but its a work horse. I also use a plow and sander on it . One thing to consider, the shorter the wheel base the worse the traction is. I have a locker in the rear and its "hairie" on wet roads.

Gene

Albemarle Lawn
10-17-2002, 10:07 AM
If you get the Mitsubishi, get the 14,500 gross and not the 13,500 gross. The 14,500 is essentially the same truck but you get 6 lug wheels, bigger brakes, and the option of a 16 Valve 4 cyl with 347 lb-ft torque vs 275 for the standard engine.

Even with the 13,500 gross I can carry nearly 6000 lbs, I have used it to move a large Case 1840 skidsteer "bobcat" with ease.

Ken B.

Albemarle Lawn
10-17-2002, 10:12 AM
On rainy days off work I leave my car clean in the garage and "FUSO" around town.

My neighbor has an Isuzu and he likes it. His is gas and he tells me he gets a WHOPPING 6-7 MILES PER GALLON!!!

GET THE DIESEL. GET THE DIESEL. I'll repeat in case anyone didn't hear....GET THE DIESEL!!!

Only prob I have experienced with the Mitsubishi is the automatic transmission. The trans croaked at 6K miles....warranty.

Also, because of the lack of real power, I would buy a manual trans next time.

Ken

Gravel Rat
10-17-2002, 01:43 PM
Ya what ever you do don't buy a gas pot powerec vehical if its got a gvw higher than 12,000 lbs I had a F-Superduty with a 14,500 gvw and it was 460 gas got rid of it because it burned too much fuel. I'am looking at to buy a diesel F-Superduty I hate handing over my wallet to the local gas station when I owned my previous truck.

As for a small COE truck the GMC Forwards are good but watch out for the cabs they can be rust buckets but the rest of the truck goes and goes. I friend of mine and my dads has a W-5 and its got lots of kms on it hes packed alot of weight in the poor truck the heaviest load I seen was 5.5 tons. This truck is a high cube van he uses it for P+D work the truck is getting pretty tired now but still works everyday.

My buddy with the truck says its no power house don't be winning any races with it but it will get you there and back with no problems.

I thought about buying one but I need a truck that can be used as a daily driver so I'am buying a F-Superduty because it doesn't look so commercial.

Nomoslowmow
10-17-2002, 11:11 PM
I love my Isuzu NPR - this is a cab over diesel with a 14 ft box. Having all the equipment inside makes my garage a workshop, not a storage building. The box makes a big leaf hauler in the fall (its 14ft X 8ft X 8ft)

It's small 4 cylinder diesel with auto gets 10-11 mpg around town towing a 10ft tandem axle trailer...nothing to crow about, but not in the gas guzzler class for a truck with a 14,500 pound GVWR.

This truck will never win a drag race.

The GMC and Chevy cabovers are rebadged Isusu's.

The F550 will tow a MUCH bigger trailer than the NPR and has real highway capability. The NPR is really only an around town truck (exactly what we need). The NPR has a turning radius smaller than a Ford Mustang, which makes getting in and out of subdivisions a lot easier.

Gravel Rat has a good point about looking commercial.....this is an advantage when you want to look like you are a real business, and a disadvantage when your nieghbors call and complain about "that thing" in your driveway!

If I could afford another two trucks, I'd get another NPR AND an F550!

HTH

Bob

mdb landscaping
10-18-2002, 07:22 PM
hey albermarle. i like your location:D . i wouldnt mind mowing that place:cool:

KenH
10-18-2002, 07:38 PM
Hey Albermarle--- I know it probably doesnt, but does your body dump?? I would like that style, but I would also like a dump.

Albemarle Lawn
10-21-2002, 11:47 PM
It would be impossible to have a dove-tail dump. In fact, if I lift the front 2 ft with a jack or drive it onto a tall curb the azz touches the ground.

You can get dumpers but the dumpers don't haul equip very well.

Ken

southside
11-04-2002, 06:55 AM
Go with the Mitsubishi. Very nice to drive. I wouldn't waste the time with an auto,simply for the lack of engine braking.