PDA

View Full Version : If It Sounds Too Good To Be True........

Darryl G
06-06-2011, 12:58 AM
I ran across this add today. It seemed like an outrageously good deal so I figured it was probably a scam but thought I'd inquire about it anyway. So I sent a mail asking where the tractor was located because I'd like to take a look at it.

Here's the ad: http://newhaven.craigslist.org/gms/2407169929.html

Note that my mail program flagged the mail with this message "This message looks suspicious to our SmartScreen filters."

And here's the reply I got, copied and pasted.

Hi,

Thanks for being interested in buying my tractor. The price is 5200 dollars. The price does include shipping and insurance to your address. I will ship it via a reputable shipping company and it will take almost a week depending on your location.

Let me know if you are interested.

Thanks

Interesting, no name, no contact phone number, no location and they'll ship it to me without even knowing where I am with shipping included in the price. I bet if I search Craigs List in other cities the ad is listed there too. And I bet somewhere the legitimate seller is also trying to sell it, but not for $5,200!!!! And I bet this seller wants me to send payment via Western Union!!!

So should I string them along a bit? Hehe.

Oh yeah, I used a "junk" e-mail address I have.

Darryl G
06-06-2011, 01:05 AM
Just did a search...it's been listed and removed from CL in several cities. The same ad is currently running in South Bend as well....damn scammers!!!!

jdo150
06-06-2011, 08:21 AM
yeah I see those adds all the time it is a scam.

MattnSTL
06-06-2011, 11:08 AM
Common. I wouldn't even give it the time it takes to read it. Typically the guy claims to be on an oil rig in the Gulf of Mexico.

Darryl G
06-06-2011, 07:36 PM
But it sounds so legitimate. Here's his most recent mail:

The tractor is in Rochester, MN.

I want to finish this deal through eBay International Trading to ensure the protection of both parties. They will hold your payment in escrow and only release it to me once you have received, inspected, and signed the transaction approval provided by eBay for the tractor. You will be allowed 3 inspection days at your address.

I will start the shipping process the same day I have received notification of the escrow payment.
The delivery process to your location will take 5-6 days.

Tell me if we can get the ball rolling and I will contact eBay regarding our transaction. After that, they will send you the information needed to begin the payment process.

Thanks

I can't wait to get it! :laugh: