PDA

View Full Version : Thinking of adding this "insurance" to lawns that don't have irrigation systems

soloscaperman
06-06-2011, 01:06 AM
Half of my lawns don't have irrigation units because either they don't want to spend the money or think that nature will always take care of them with rain. Well I learn last year with the droughts that the weather in CT is getting very odd. I notice we get rain then a drought and in winters we get no snow or 2ft of snow. Well I am asking customers to buy sprinklers and was wondering if this unit is good that Home depot sells. Most customers are too lazy to water it themselves or there yards are pretty big.

http://www.homedepot.com/Outdoors-Garden-Center-Watering-Irrigation-Sprinklers/h_d1/N-5yc1vZbx69/R-100082645/h_d2/ProductDisplay?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053

I mean worse comes to worse I will buy it and it will make my money back in one cut.

mowerbrad
06-06-2011, 01:51 AM
So what exactly is your plan? You're going to buy this for the customer so they can use it to water their lawns? I doubt customers don't water their lawn because they can't afford or don't have a sprinkler, its probably because they don't want to pay for the water bill.

topsites
06-06-2011, 02:08 AM
That little sprinkler is unlikely to do much, a drought that results in dry lawns is among the least of our problems...
These droughts are not just unusual, along with the odd rainfall pattern we're running into a very real water shortage situation
that's already resulted in recurring annual watering restrictions in areas the East Coast over that normally don't see these
and the whole problem is likely to get worse before it gets better, if it ever does improve because things at present are not
looking good...

Things are not just looking bad, they are looking down right ugly.
These water situations have sprung up and stuck around year after year for more than a few already, and while they might one
day disappear as soon as they came, it is also quite possible that we are entering that stage of dry that Africa has been
experiencing for the past 50-100 years.
At first, they didn't think it would last more than a few years either.

There exist at present extreme food shortages due to agricultural shortfalls, shortages so bad that folks are dieing of starvation
and thirst in countries the world over, this isn't just some problem we can again ignore because it's not in our backyard,
this problem will be ours soon enough as it has resulted in mass migration from deprived areas to areas that still have...
At first folks thought it was just Mexicans, it's not, it's the half of South and Central America running up here.

Federal troops standing at the border with rifles ready to shoot does little in terms of deterrence,
these folks don't have that much to lose, way they see things either way they look it's certain death.
And in Europe they're catching it from Africa, refugees sailing across the Mediterranean.

Millions of people are fleeing the countries that are running out of resources but in the process the countries
they are fleeing to are being overburdened, I do believe the inevitable conclusion should be obvious.

We're in dire straights.

It is my recommendation folks do some research, then start to implement water conservation programs.
Find out what your County's Water Restriction settings are, even if they're not on restriction now.
Find out what days you can (and can not) water during restrictions, then recommend to your customer(s)
to stick to those restrictions as if they were always in effect.
That's only the beginning, certainly using more water isn't going to help but
rather it is water conservation that might save us, if anything.

Have a nice day.

rlitman
06-06-2011, 03:50 PM
I have the same version of that one, with the timer built in.
The timer has failed me a few times (it ran too long), but the rest was good.
By me, Ace hardware sells that same unit, BUT with their own branding, and ANYTHING that says "Ace" on it, is covered by their lifetime warranty, so it's worth a couple of extra bucks to get it there.

I love the width control on that one, and these turbo sprinkers are supposed to be less failure prone than the older geared style.

Patriot Services
06-06-2011, 04:07 PM
I am highly skeptical of the 3900 sq ft claim.
Posted via Mobile Device

rlitman
06-06-2011, 05:04 PM
I am highly skeptical of the 3900 sq ft claim.
Posted via Mobile Device

Oooh, I didn't notice that. No chance. I get about 1200 sq feet (35x35) out of it on my lawn, so I need to reposition it twice to cover one side. It might cover 3900 square feet if I fed it off my pressure washer (in the seconds before it blew up).

soloscaperman
06-06-2011, 09:45 PM
Talked the customer into a tripod unit and there going to buy it. I think Homedepot or Lowes sells it for only $50

THEGOLDPRO
06-06-2011, 09:53 PM
most people near me dont water their lawns because 1. they are way too big, and 2. we all have wells around here and people dont want to dry the well up or burn the pump motor out by running the water for hours a day.

ProStreetCamaro
06-06-2011, 09:58 PM
Irrigation? What is that? Out of 75 customers we have 2 with sprinkler systems. Irrigation must be a regional thing because i see guys on here all the time that claim most of their customers have irrigation.

Will P.C.
06-06-2011, 10:58 PM
I know like 80% of the homes in my 'golf course community" have irrigation systems only because the builder put them in. I also it is possible to have a 500 dollar a month water bill watering in the summer (8-10K sq feet)
You can get a second meter installed for 450 dollars and the water costs is drastically cheaper.

soloscaperman
06-06-2011, 11:07 PM
I told my customer that if there isn't rain in the forecast for a while it's better to water the lawn because some is better then none. I have 4 customers that have homes worth 1.4M and 2 of them never used their irrigation system lol.

I talked one customer into watering the front lawn at least. The new young generation of married couples are starting to realize that a huge house cost a lot for AC, watering, and Heat.

ALC-GregH
06-06-2011, 11:56 PM
You come off sounding greedy. As if they should water their lawn for your benefit.

soloscaperman
06-07-2011, 12:04 AM
You come off sounding greedy. As if they should water their lawn for your benefit.

Greedy? LOL I think your a little off. They come to me asking why is my lawn brown every year even though it's treated. What's the answer ;-) if your not going to agree with me then your in the wrong field.

THEGOLDPRO
06-07-2011, 12:05 AM
We like to rely on jesus to water the land.

soloscaperman
06-07-2011, 12:07 AM
We like to rely on jesus to water the land.

Well Jesus is been odd the last few years in CT. We get a lot of crazy rain then all of a sudden hot temps with a drought.

THEGOLDPRO
06-07-2011, 12:08 AM
Yea thats why i dont believe in jesus hes too flakey for me.