PDA

View Full Version : Move from 21" to 48" hydro?

mwhals
06-06-2011, 01:19 PM
I admit, I am not in the lawn business, but my yard is large enough it seems like a business. I am contimplating starting a small lawn cutting business, but need to procure a trailer first.

I have a John Deere 2520 tractor with a 62" belly mower that I can cut my very large slopes with, but I don't use it much of the year due to its weight tears up the yard when the dirt is not bone dry.

When I don't use the tractor, which is often, I use a 21" mower that takes me 3 hours to cut the yard, minus the outer banks and trimming.

Since I need to use the push mower over half the time, I am thinking of an Exmark Turf Tracer 48. With the push mower, it only takes an hour longer to cut than with the tractor since the tractor can't get into all areas resulting in the push mower still being used.

I feel I can cut the entire yard faster with a 48" walk behind mower than I can with the tractor since I can go across the very wide slopes instead of up and down the slopes (wider than deep).

My slopes are around 20 degrees for the front yard and 30 to 35 degrees for the outer slopes. If the outer slope angle is too high, I can still use my tractor there since it doesn't need cut every time.

What I would like to know is how it compares to my 21" mower from a physical exhaustion point of view. I do many more passes with the 21" on the slope, resulting in more energy walking but the larger mower may take more energy per pass making it a net of zero change in my phyical condition after cutting.

How hard on the body is it using a hydro walk behind on a slope? How do you safely change directions on a slope with one?

I am thinking of the Exmark turf tracer 48, because there is a dealer down the road and it is high enough quality that it will last me for a very long time. It is also what I would like to use if I start a small lawn cutting business on the side.

mwhals
06-06-2011, 01:51 PM
I just found the sticky that mentions a home owner forum. I am posting this question there, so please do not respond to it here as I will not check it.

Moderators: feel free to delete this thread as I found a more appropriate location for it.