PDA

View Full Version : Big Mess...Need Some Help

jtruck618
06-06-2011, 05:14 PM
Here is my predicament. I bought a used JD 737 in the fall of 08 with 200hrs on it. It was in great shape and looked new, it's an 05 model. Each year since then, I had some sort of oil leak. 1st year the fix was a seal around the shaft and cost $110, not a big deal. Last year it was a bad head, which cost $600+. Now it has a bad seal around the oil pan, and a bad wheel motor. The JD dealer says to fix will cost $2300! I paid about 5k for it. I dont wanna sink the cash into it. It currently has 332 hours on it. I use it for my 3+ acres and sometimes mow for a neighbor or some property for a family member, but very limited. So, I need.....a new mower and a way to get rid of my 737. What have you guys done in these situations? I asked the JD service guy and he said fix it since I keep it in such good shape and the hours are low. But I dont want to take the chance.

I would like to spend around 7k or maybe even 8k. I would love to trade the 737 in and get SOMETHING for it. So far, a Scag/JD dealer offered me 250 on the phone. Is it worth more than that? I like the Tiger cat, couple of the Exmarks.......price quoted on a e-series lazer z was 8100. Place was not wanting to do a trade. I also have a Cub Cadet 1527 lawn tractor, in great shape, with just over 100 hours.

I'm up for any and all suggestions. Thanks.

Daily Lawn/Landscape
06-06-2011, 05:23 PM
How bad is the pan seal leaking? If not major just let it ride for now and check the oil a little more often. Could you replace the wheel motor. That would save you a lot on labor. Or do you have a friend that is mechanically minded? I would personally keep the mower. I have a TT that has 1700 hrs on it and I replaced the motor on it this spring. $1800.00 verses $10K I made my money back on the motor replacement in the first 2 mo of the season.
Hope this helps!

James

Georgia Lawn Works LLC
06-06-2011, 05:29 PM
The JD dealer says to fix will cost $2300!

I bet they did. And I bet the parts cost less than a quarter of that. Everything needs maintenence. And your going to have this same problem with what ever you buy eventually. nstead of just selling it my suggestion is to get online or even here and find out what needs to be done. I'll even help you with whatever you have trouble with. Just get out there and get it done yourself.

Hoy landscaping
06-06-2011, 08:42 PM
2300 to fix the motor? i saw in my dealer today they had a sale on 27 horse briggs for 850. might as well get a new motor

topsites
06-06-2011, 09:23 PM
2300 to fix the motor? i saw in my dealer today they had a sale on 27 horse briggs for 850. might as well get a new motor

It's not a motor, it's an engine.

You're in bad shape getting advice here bud, lots of teenagers and college drop outs and weekend warriors and illegals and what have you,
the most of them ain't got two years experience and the rest don't know the difference between a motor and an engine, me thinks
you had better go speak to a qualified professional, a certified mechanic, in your case I'd get a second opinion from another dealer.

A-1 LAWN
06-06-2011, 09:29 PM
what brand of engine is in the jd??

ProStreetCamaro
06-06-2011, 09:34 PM
Wheel motor should be $400ish I would think. Pull it off and flush the system and replace it yourself. As for the pan seal if its not leaking bad just check the oil each time you use it and top it off. Would be much cheaper than buying a new mower. Or at least with it fixed you could sell it and get some money out of it with those low hours.

P.S. A new Gravely 160Z runs about $7200 new.

jtruck618
06-06-2011, 11:19 PM
Thanks for the replies. Dealer says the wheel motor cost around $770 and the pump $800+. Does the pump have to be changed too? I hate to scrap this thing but $2300 is a lot to put into something with no guarantee it might cost me more with aother breakdown. It is a Kawaski engine, 23 horse. Where can I find a wheel motor for a JD? I looked around with no luck. Some place other than the dealer? Thanks for the Gravely recomendation. I see Ferris makes a nice mower, IS 1500, for a decent price.
Posted via Mobile Device

THEGOLDPRO
06-06-2011, 11:32 PM

You're in bad shape getting advice here bud, lots of teenagers and college drop outs and weekend warriors and illegals and what have you,
the most of them ain't got two years experience and the rest don't know the difference between a motor and an engine, me thinks
you had better go speak to a qualified professional, a certified mechanic, in your case I'd get a second opinion from another dealer.
Topsites for president.

THEGOLDPRO
06-06-2011, 11:34 PM
Thanks for the replies. Dealer says the wheel motor cost around $770 and the pump $800+. Does the pump have to be changed too? I hate to scrap this thing but $2300 is a lot to put into something with no guarantee it might cost me more with aother breakdown. It is a Kawaski engine, 23 horse. Where can I find a wheel motor for a JD? I looked around with no luck. Some place other than the dealer? Thanks for the Gravely recomendation. I see Ferris makes a nice mower, IS 1500, for a decent price.
Posted via Mobile Device

Hes blowing smoke up your ass if he told you a hydro pump costs him 800+ i bought one for my 08 lazer for like 300 out the door.

Sammy
06-06-2011, 11:43 PM
Thats why they call them a "Engine Boat" and a "Enginecycle" (not to be confused with a Indian motorcycle)?

Welcome to the Engine Speedway !

Sammy
06-06-2011, 11:57 PM
The Indy 500 is held at the "Indianapolis Motor (Engine) Speedway".....LMFAO

jtruck618
06-07-2011, 08:55 AM
Does anyone else have some useful information for me? Can I buy these parts somewhere other than a Deere dealer? Can I just change the wheel motor and not the pump? Someone said to drain the system. I had the fluid and filter changed out last year. Should I still do this? Thanks all.

bobo316
06-07-2011, 09:32 AM
Does anyone else have some useful information for me? Can I buy these parts somewhere other than a Deere dealer? Can I just change the wheel motor and not the pump? Someone said to drain the system. I had the fluid and filter changed out last year. Should I still do this? Thanks all.

a friend of mine had the same problem with his toro,his dealer told him that his pump was bad,and would cost 800.i had him to change the hydros.using exmark hydro oil instead of mobile 1. he said it ran better than when it was new. not saying this will fix your problem ,but its worth a try.good luck

jtruck618
06-07-2011, 12:08 PM
What was the machines symptons? My left side is about 20% when I push forward. How do you "flush" the system?
Posted via Mobile Device

orourke15
06-07-2011, 01:41 PM
Just dropped my 737 off at dealer 1 hour ago; The crank case seal is leaking oil. 237 hours on the kawasaki 23 horse. Sounds like they like to leak oil! Maybe I should start thinking of trading it in!

Joel B.
06-07-2011, 01:57 PM

Actually motor and engine can mean the same thing.

From Webster's:

Any of various power units that develop energy or impart motion: as
a : a small compact engine
b : internal combustion engine; especially : a gasoline engine

JimQ
06-07-2011, 02:20 PM
Hes blowing smoke up your ass if he told you a hydro pump costs him 800+ i bought one for my 08 lazer for like 300 out the door.

The 737 series uses the Kanzaki DUP10A integrated pump. 2 pumps in one package. $800 is not far off. That's the primary reason I've never been a fan of the tandem Kanzaki that a few OEM's chose to use.

OP- I feel for you my friend. Sounds like you're at the mercy of dealers/mechanics. It's too bad you don't feel comfortable enough to take care of it yourself.

You can use JDParts to get part numbers and $$$.

https://jdparts.deere.com/servlet/com.deere.u90.jdparts.view.publicservlets.HomeUnsigned

Deere does sell parts to service the Kanzaki rather than replace it.

All I can tell you is that I don't think your dealer is taking you for a ride. He is quoting you for the proper way to 100% fix your problem. You're taking a chance of ruining new parts doing anything less. I'm sure the price of the parts is better than half of the quoted price and it's no easy task to replace the tandum pump and a wheel motor.

Good luck to you.

Q

JimQ
06-07-2011, 02:23 PM
Actually motor and engine can mean the same thing.

From Webster's:

Any of various power units that develop energy or impart motion: as
a : a small compact engine
b : internal combustion engine; especially : a gasoline engine

Don't start this again with Topsites....:laugh:

Q

Joel B.
06-07-2011, 04:13 PM
Don't start this again with Topsites....:laugh:

Q

Sorry, couldn't resist!

Sammy
06-07-2011, 04:31 PM
..........I would love to trade the 737 in and get SOMETHING for it. So far, a Scag/JD dealer offered me 250 on the phone. Is it worth more than that? ..........

The dealer offered 250 what ? $250.00 ? $2,500.00 ?

DQL10
06-07-2011, 04:57 PM
As far as I'm concerned, everything that has seals motors (engines) will leak. Even BRAND NEW! My Exmark has a crankcase leak and unless its spitting out oil, I plan to have it in the field every single day. I cant tell you that they are ripping you off all I can tell you is to take it to a few different dealers. Doesnt have to be a JD dealer, just take it somewhere else to get opinions on what type of options you have.

MOB
06-07-2011, 05:00 PM
Here is my predicament. I bought a used JD 737 in the fall of 08 with 200hrs on it. It was in great shape and looked new, it's an 05 model. Each year since then, I had some sort of oil leak. 1st year the fix was a seal around the shaft and cost $110, not a big deal. Last year it was a bad head, which cost $600+. Now it has a bad seal around the oil pan, and a bad wheel motor. The JD dealer says to fix will cost $2300! I paid about 5k for it. I dont wanna sink the cash into it. It currently has 332 hours on it. I use it for my 3+ acres and sometimes mow for a neighbor or some property for a family member, but very limited. So, I need.....a new mower and a way to get rid of my 737. What have you guys done in these situations? I asked the JD service guy and he said fix it since I keep it in such good shape and the hours are low. But I dont want to take the chance.

I would like to spend around 7k or maybe even 8k. I would love to trade the 737 in and get SOMETHING for it. So far, a Scag/JD dealer offered me 250 on the phone. Is it worth more than that? I like the Tiger cat, couple of the Exmarks.......price quoted on a e-series lazer z was 8100. Place was not wanting to do a trade. I also have a Cub Cadet 1527 lawn tractor, in great shape, with just over 100 hours.

You can get the wheel motor rebuilt for about a third the cost of a new one. I had one go bad on my JD and had it rebuilt at a place called "Hydraulic World". The pump may need to be disasembled, cleaned and inspected for damage from debris from the wheel motor going out. The shaft twisted off my wheel motor and it had alot of metal filings in the pump. Taking the pump apart was a PITA but it works good now. If your wheel motor didn't have a catastrophic failure the pump should be OK. Your hydaulic mechanic should be able to tell you if you need to work on the pump. The wheel motor is an easy replacement. You could also google the numbers off the wheel motor and order the same one much cheaper than a new JD part. Good luck!

jtruck618
06-07-2011, 05:39 PM
The dealer offered 250 what ? $250.00 ? $2,500.00 ?
$250.00..........if it was 2500, I would of jumped on it. I would sell it as for 1k in a heartbeat. Calling about some ztr's(Toro, Exmark, Scag and Ferris). Will pick the JD up thurs and take it to another dealer. Cheapest wheel mower I've found yet is 770. Would hate to spend that and still have problems.
Posted via Mobile Device

Daily Lawn/Landscape
06-07-2011, 06:52 PM

Hey topsite! Why don't you take some time and read his problem. He has a wheel motor out, not an engine. The engine has an oil leak!

James

P.S. I am a certified mechanic. Have more credential than I have time to list.

Sammy
06-07-2011, 10:51 PM
Only $250.00, the guy is a joke.....Go elsewhere.

jtruck618
06-08-2011, 10:37 AM
Yeah, I am going elsewhere. Talked to a Toro dealer who said he works on JD alot. Gave me a decent price on a G3. Is it a good mower? I like the Scag Tiger Cat, Ferris IS 1500 as ell.
Posted via Mobile Device