PDA

View Full Version : Best Z turn deck for 4' tall grass

breslerconstruction
06-06-2011, 10:25 PM
Hi, I'm new here and I work on foreclosure houses.

Part of my job requirements is maintaining the grass. This part barely pays for my fuel to get there, let alone my time there.

I have to do it in order to keep getting work that I can bid on and make $200 in 5 minutes.

The requirements for my work just changed to mow up to 3 acres, any height and bid after the fact.

I've got a Toro 36", 14 HP Proline that cuts tall grass ok, and a 52", 17 HP Scag fixed deck that doesn't cut tall grass worth a crap. It just bends it over.

Besides a 30' long tractor and bushhog that won't work for residential lots, what is the best brand and deck for this type of work? I'm looking for a 54" to 60" deck and over 30 HP.

I'd prefer a little older than new, because I can repair almost anything, but am tired of replacing head gaskets in middle of nowhere in 5' tall grass.

Thanks,
Scott

topsites
06-06-2011, 10:38 PM
If I fix your problem you will not be able to bid on those $200 in 5 minute jobs anymore but if you tell
me how I can win a bid for doing the White House lawn at 1600 Pennsylvania without having to deal with
any PITA nonsense I might reconsider.

ProStreetCamaro
06-06-2011, 10:40 PM
Hi, I'm new here and I work on foreclosure houses.

Part of my job requirements is maintaining the grass. This part barely pays for my fuel to get there, let alone my time there.

I have to do it in order to keep getting work that I can bid on and make $200 in 5 minutes.

The requirements for my work just changed to mow up to 3 acres, any height and bid after the fact.

I've got a Toro 36", 14 HP Proline that cuts tall grass ok, and a 52", 17 HP Scag fixed deck that doesn't cut tall grass worth a crap. It just bends it over.

Besides a 30' long tractor and bushhog that won't work for residential lots, what is the best brand and deck for this type of work? I'm looking for a 54" to 60" deck and over 30 HP.

I'd prefer a little older than new, because I can repair almost anything, but am tired of replacing head gaskets in middle of nowhere in 5' tall grass.

Thanks,
Scott

What deck is on your scag? The older scag decks just plain SUCK but the velocity deck is supposed to be very good with crappy over grown lawns because it has a huge discharge opening allowing it to really get the grass cut and out from under the deck. Does the grass look like this?

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v426/prostreetcamaro/1306682152588.jpg

Or is it more reasonable? If it is super tall like above I dont know of any finish mower that will do a good job with out having to make multiple passes.

A-1 LAWN
06-06-2011, 10:43 PM
my 200 snapper cuts tall grass with ease.if you want a cheap push mower find an old yazoo.I have one that is self propelled with a very tall deck with two blades,it will walk through tall grass! but I think it is only a 20 inch deck.works good for unknown obstacles,if you run over something the engine is belt driven,and you wont bend the crankshaft.

breslerconstruction
06-06-2011, 11:07 PM
I did a 20,000 sf yard of thick, 5' tall grass yesterday, and spent today replacing the head gasket on my toro. The toro is hydro with no relief valve, and I had to push it to my trailer and use a high lift jack to get it in.

I finished with the scag, it's a '95, and I mowed the rest three times before I gave up and went home. Half the grass is pushed over and still 5' long.

I can mow something twice but that's about the extent of what I want to do on these properties.

weeze
06-06-2011, 11:27 PM
what does tall grass have to do with a headgasket?...get a john deere...i cut 4' grass with it...you have to slow down though...you can't cut 4' tall grass at 10mph lol...more like 1-2mph and it will cut it just fine without bogging down.

nobagger
06-06-2011, 11:55 PM
What deck is on your scag? The older scag decks just plain SUCK but the velocity deck is supposed to be very good with crappy over grown lawns because it has a huge discharge opening allowing it to really get the grass cut and out from under the deck. Does the grass look like this?

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v426/prostreetcamaro/1306682152588.jpg

Or is it more reasonable? If it is super tall like above I dont know of any finish mower that will do a good job with out having to make multiple passes.

HAHAHA that looks like the Dollar General's we had to do last week. 4.5 hrs with 2 of us to cut maybe 5-6k sqft. My Gravely 48" w/b did the job pretty well I thought. I seriously think if your going to be doing very overgrown properties often you might want to consider a small w/b brush hog or a diesel mower. Our w/b has a 17hp kawi on it and even making half passes it struggled.

Ridin' Green
06-07-2011, 12:03 AM
That looks like a good place for a walk behind cyclebar mower (or one of the DR or Simplicity WB line mowers), followed by a decent regular mower deck to chop it up to finer size (or bag)

breslerconstruction
06-07-2011, 12:12 AM
I'd love to buy a 60" z turn with a flail mower deck or some sort of hydro walk behind tractor with a flail mower, but those don't exist for some reason.

Ridin' Green
06-07-2011, 12:19 AM
You could actually get into most any city lot with a compact tractor and a flail mower. Something like a Deere 2305 or better yet, their 2520/2720's with a flail.

I have a 4115 with 60" mid mount mower, and it'd make short work of that stuff in the pics above (though you never really get it al chopped up when it's that long, even with a flail mower). I'd lay it low with the side discharge, then install my mulch kit in a few seconds and really grind it up.

breslerconstruction
06-07-2011, 12:24 AM
The picture resembles most of my properties, but the grass is 5' tall and I don't know how many cinder blocks or pieces of steel are under that.

Some of them are up to 3 acres and I don't know what I'm getting into until I get there.

Walk behind bushhogs are worthless, I've rented a couple of them and would rather replace a head gasket at the site on my Toro than use one to cut a couple acres.

Ridin' Green
06-07-2011, 12:37 AM
I don't know what type of walk behind "bushhog" you used, but the decent cycle types would cut that stuff like a hot knife through butter, and do it at half throttle. I have used cycle cutters for stuff like that, and it is amazing how easily they go through it. The WB line cutters aren't quite as good in really thick stuff like the cycle types.
If you are worried about what may be hiding in the tall stuff (and I don't blame you), why would you even ask about a ZTR type machine, since they are even more succeptable to the same hidden obstacles? As someone who has "been there and done that" so to speak on property similar to this, I'm just trying to give you some real alternatives to look at.:)

breslerconstruction
06-07-2011, 12:50 AM
Do you mean sickle bar walk behinds? I've heard any thing with a sickle bar is a pain in the ass.

I want a ZTR because I have to cut the yards every two weeks after that and don't want to spend 1.5 hours on a recut that pays $50.

I have an 85 mile radius and that doesn't leave me much time to mow anything.

Hawkshot99
06-07-2011, 12:51 AM
I remember seeing a Scag Zero turn video with a flail deck. Could not find that but did find these that go on walk behinds.

http://www.st-mach.com/stm/super_flail.php

breslerconstruction
06-07-2011, 01:04 AM
Thank you Hawkshot,

Do you have any knowledge or experience with these? Do you know if they bolt up to my Scag SWZ?

Thanks,
Scott

Ridin' Green
06-07-2011, 01:06 AM
Do you mean sickle bar walk behinds? I've heard any thing with a sickle bar is a pain in the ass.

I want a ZTR because I have to cut the yards every two weeks after that and don't want to spend 1.5 hours on a recut that pays $50.

I have an 85 mile radius and that doesn't leave me much time to mow anything.

Yes, a cycle bar WB.

If you don't want to buy one, you can always rent one to do the initial cutting, then you can buy whatever fits your budget to do the regular maintainence. I have seen them on CL for reasonable prices here in MI. If you keep picking these types of properties up to keep your accounts, it may be worth owning one for the first cut on overgrown property, and save your ZTR for what it was meant to do- go faster, and make you money.

Hawkshot99
06-07-2011, 01:12 AM
Thank you Hawkshot,

Do you have any knowledge or experience with these? Do you know if they bolt up to my Scag SWZ?

Thanks,
Scott

I know nothing about them. Just remember seeing a vid of one on a Z before, so I searched google.

breslerconstruction
06-07-2011, 01:14 AM
Thank you Riden' Green,

Have the ones you've used been hydro or a walk behind tractor that can change implements? I'd like to get something more versatile than a manual hay cutting machine.

Ridin' Green
06-07-2011, 01:21 AM
The walk behind type. Also, actually a MM side cycle cutter that my BIL has on an old Sears Suburban garden tractor. Some of the WB's have interchangable heads, but the ones at our local rental are dedicated cycle cutters.

Here are some links to check out-
http://www.kersten-machines.com/RoughCutter.htm

Scroll down to the bottom of this link-
http://equipment.greenindustrypros.com/list/Commercial_Riding_Mowers_Zero_Turn_Mowers/Other_Riding_Mowers

or maybe this-
http://www.partsdepotuk.com/john-deere-mower-parts.asp

flatlander42
06-07-2011, 01:26 AM
check this out. Super Cool!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WcPyzUOC5iQ&feature=related

Ridin' Green
06-07-2011, 01:29 AM
check this out. Super Cool!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WcPyzUOC5iQ&feature=related

Thanks for posting that link. I was looking for it since I just saw it the other day, but was thinking it was on Skag's site. Should have known to check out Hustler. I

breslerconstruction- I think this would be your best option!

breslerconstruction
06-07-2011, 01:29 AM
Thank you Riden' Green,

That was just what I was looking for.

breslerconstruction
06-07-2011, 01:37 AM
Flatlander42,

Do you know anything about those machines? I'll have to figure out how to build one if I can't buy one.

Ridin' Green
06-07-2011, 01:41 AM
Here's one more link for a Walker mower flail mower option-
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6GOLv8GHw4c&feature=BFa&list=UL_5A7yRpZ2oY&index=11

flatlander42
06-07-2011, 01:47 AM
Flatlander42,

Do you know anything about those machines? I'll have to figure out how to build one if I can't buy one.

No clue, I just like to search Youtube.

If I was a betting man......I'd say that you probably couldn't buy that attachment in the US, That is how it usually is with all of the cool stuff!!

But I could be wrong....

flatlander42
06-07-2011, 01:48 AM
Here's one more link for a Walker mower flail mower option-
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6GOLv8GHw4c&feature=BFa&list=UL_5A7yRpZ2oY&index=11

I was just watching that one too...Didn't post it because I got off track by the Hustler One!

Ridin' Green
06-07-2011, 01:49 AM
No clue, I just like to search Youtube.

If I was a betting man......I'd say that you probably couldn't buy that attachment in the US, That is how it usually is with all of the cool stuff!!

But I could be wrong....

I think you're right. The names on the video's are Italian.

Ridin' Green
06-07-2011, 01:51 AM
flatlander42-

My wife got a good chuckle the other day when she read your signature line. Funny thing is, is that it's true!

flatlander42
06-07-2011, 01:56 AM
Is there anything like these awesome machines available in the US????
Make sure you check out the vids that pop up on the right hand side of youtube when you view this...Way cool mowers!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fsW7Dc2Nt0s&feature=related

Ridin' Green
06-07-2011, 01:59 AM
LOL!! It looks like he is harvesting some cannibus in one of those links