PDA

View Full Version : approx average costs for wood decking

DVS Hardscaper
06-06-2011, 09:59 PM
We don't do wood decking.

I have a job that entails a wood deck. With composite material, Trex planking, vinyl rails, etc.

Anyone here have any avera per SF costs? I want to give the prospective client a rough idea what the deck will cost before I go calling decking contractors and taking their time.

PatriotLandscape
06-07-2011, 10:26 AM
In my area depending on the level of composite used, stairs, facia etc. It is around 50 a square parts and labor
Posted via Mobile Device

STL Ponds and Waterfalls
06-07-2011, 11:44 AM
We don't do sqft pricing :laugh: but composite around here is 30% more than wood decking for the materials. My buddy usually says a rule of thumb for a basic treated lumber deck he starts at $25 a sq ft. So I would say that composit would start in the $40 a sq ft range.

PatriotLandscape
06-07-2011, 01:36 PM
Jeez square pricing is not used in proposals it has nothing to do with giving people ballparks to know there costs.
Posted via Mobile Device

STL Ponds and Waterfalls
06-07-2011, 02:06 PM
Jeez square pricing is not used in proposals it has nothing to do with giving people ballparks to know there costs.
Posted via Mobile Device

That was a joke, lighten up.

PatriotLandscape
06-07-2011, 02:44 PM
Not a good one.
Posted via Mobile Device

Cam.at.Heritage
06-07-2011, 02:45 PM
For us I would say composite decks can be up to 50% more then a PT deck by the time you factor materials and the extra labor involved. But this also varies a lot depending on the type of composite, weather you have to pre drill or using the clips system. Is this deck on the ground? or 2nd story? Steps? I would just call a deck guy and get a price from him, its like anything else here in LS no one will ever agree what is an accurate price.

tslandscaping
06-07-2011, 10:36 PM
We just finished a patio where we subbed out a composite deck. I would go with Timbertech over Trex. Like paver patios, the prices can vary widely. We used Timbertech's hidden fasteners, which ended up costing $1,000 on a 500 sq.ft. deck, just for fasteners.

Another added cost was techo-posts instead of concrete footings. The access to the patio was poor and the people needed the deck done quickly. Those added several thousand extra dollars, too. They are an incredible time saver, we marked the locations and the guy came and drove the posts into the ground in a few hours. They have posts that are rated for 150,000 pounds.

I think $30 to $50 a sq.ft. would be right in line with the prices in upstate NY.

Moneypit
06-07-2011, 10:47 PM
Not sure enough to give a price but I hear Trex is close to the bottom of the list when it comes to composite decking.

PlatinumLandCon
06-07-2011, 11:11 PM
I just priced a 420sf Trex deck with cedar rail posts and trex rail, raised only a couple steps off the ground for a tad under $16k before 13% sales tax. I think that was pretty reasonable

DVS Hardscaper
06-07-2011, 11:18 PM
Looks like I'll tell the people they're looking at $30 to $50 / SF. The people were upfront with me and told me they were not sure how much they could do this year. Which is why I don't want to involve any deck guys until they know what they're able to do.

Trex was the 1st brand that came to mind when I wrote that. I have heard negative stuff about Trex as well. But.....people also say negative stuff about paver and block manufacturers!

PaperCutter
06-08-2011, 08:22 AM
I think you're in the ballpark, $35-65/SF. The big additional factors are railings and steps. I think we were rough guessing $150-200/LF for iron rails at one point (installed). Steps, it just depends. You have a crapload of labor in steps, so I've seen them cost the same as the deck when broken out.

Hate Trex. I really like AZEK, and I'm starting to come around to Fiberon. Still like ipe and cumaru better. Composite gets really hot in full sun.

OutdoorCreations
06-08-2011, 08:47 AM
I just paid $63.19 for one 16' of Timbertech XLM. The railings are around $35lf before you install them.
Timbertech has some really nice stuff. The XLM is 100% pvc not a wood and pvc mix.

SDLandscapes VT
06-08-2011, 07:10 PM
Azek and Azek railings 8 x 10 deck, railings, 3 steps, last season $5500

For high end composites, rail systems, or jungle hardwoods I figure $55 to $75 a sq ft

SVA_Concrete
06-08-2011, 10:19 PM
we can generally build a patio for less than the cost of a composite deck -- and the patio will last longer.

I have sold a few jobs to be hardscaped rather that composite decking

i will say composite boards work beautifully for flexible concrete forms -- many reuses

ALLPro Landscaping
06-08-2011, 10:34 PM
Ive done 2 decks so far with trex, its sucks, first, the time to install each of the hidden fasteners is way too time consuming, also watch the composite planks, both decks I did all the planks were warped bad, which makes them even harder to cut. I priced each deck out at 55 per square, I made out pretty good, but you really have to watch your self this stuff get very very expensive allow your self plenty of room to work with especially if you pick up warped planks, believe it or not my distributor cant stand it because of that very problem the warping. Also make sure you don't loose any hidden fasteners while installing, my guy kept dropping them, and before I knew it I just threw a hundred bucks right out the door.

OutdoorCreations
06-09-2011, 04:38 PM
1 box of hidden fasteners is $101.00. So every time you drop one it is like dropping a dollar bill on the ground. When ever we drop them we make sure to grab it right away before we forget.

Will P.C.
06-09-2011, 05:09 PM
I got a few estimates for my deck about 4 months ago. Deck is 15X9 with 10 steps. The guy that is going to do it said 2500. I imagine it will be a little more though. I was getting estimates all the way up to 6 grand.

I am not having the rails done. The cost just for the rails would have almost doubled the entire estimate.