PDA

View Full Version : Buying a account?

G_ Will28
06-06-2011, 11:26 PM
My friend can no longer mow a apartment complex he contacted and wants me to buy him out. I would take it over on July 1st. I will make $3600 for the rest of this season. He wanted $7500 for a new (11hrs) Ferris z with a 48in deck and a 20hp Kawasaki along with the complex. The mower would be to small for me so Id have to sell it at the end of season. After doing some research I found that I might break just about even after mowing season. Id rather not put out the cash if im going to break even. He wont give me a price on buying just the account. How much do you think this account would be worth? I will bring in $3600 on the account minus expenses.

THEGOLDPRO
06-06-2011, 11:30 PM
I never buy accounts. If they decide to go with someone else your beat and out the money.

G_ Will28
06-06-2011, 11:33 PM
They are under contract till October. My friend said they are looking for someone to also do the fertilization leaf removal and snow plowing. He doesnt do any of that for the complex but he said I would be able to contract them for that. I want to help him about but not lose out in the deal. He is a fireman and cant do it anymore. This is what I do for a living and would really love to ad the complex to my 76 other accounts.

THEGOLDPRO
06-06-2011, 11:41 PM
Under contract with him not you. They can opt out of the contract as soon as he sells the account to you. If he really is a good friend he would just give you the account if he cant do it anymore. Its shady to try and sell an account to a friend especially knowing he cant do it any more. This is why i hate weekend warrior part time hacks.

SouthSide Cutter
06-06-2011, 11:42 PM
Bought a guy out a few years back. Mower, trailer and handhelds 17 accounts. Didnt want to but son wanted to do it. Gave him 10000 cash. Lost about 5 of the accounts before ever mowing, due to people moving. Still have the rest today. But will never do it again.

G_ Will28
06-06-2011, 11:54 PM
He actually gave me a new account the day I looked at the mower but it was residential. Plus he gave me a hit on a commercial piece of property I can put a bid on. He did say if I took it over we would re due the contract so everything is in my name. Hes already talking with the complex about this. I already know he has no use for the mower and hes trying not to loose his ass on it cause he bought it back in April and I dont wanna lose out on the deal. I told him today that all I want is the complex not the equipment cause its not worth it for me.

topsites
06-07-2011, 12:37 AM
I hope your friend realizes a written contract isn't just some piece of paper he can blow off like however much garbage is in the truck!
Folks, once you sign a contract you can't just up and quit when the temperature hits 90!
It doesn't work like that, you'd probably almost be better off skipping bail lol

That contract is a signed, legal document!
I hope your friend realizes what this means is he can get sued if he bails now and he can get sued if he sells out!

What happens is the management at the apartment complex will have to FIND someone as SOON as he's gone and
what's going to happen mid-season is whoever they find will charge them whatever price and they won't have a choice
but to pay it BUT they can sue your FRIEND for the DIFFERENCE, every penny that company charges them ABOVE the
amount of the contract they can sue his butt for!
And they probably will!

Either way they can find someone else, once somebody skips contract they don't have to take whoever your friend decides.
That could be why he's trying to sell if you ask me, because they'll still sue him and he's got your money.

Yes sir, folks best stop dreaming and sleeping in and slouching and slacking off, this stuff is serious business!
So he might want to re-consider his stance.

This is why i hate weekend warrior part time hacks.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

This whole situation ain't right.

THEGOLDPRO
06-07-2011, 12:43 AM
Yes sir, folks best stop dreaming and sleeping in and slouching and slacking off, this stuff is serious business!
So he might want to re-consider his stance.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

The weekend warrior part time hacks are the ones destroying our industry, I have literally zero respect for them. i have said it in the past and i will say it again, If you cant make enough money in your so called "Career" and need to start mowing lawns on the side for extra cash to supplement your crappy job then you need to make some kind of life change.

Stop stealing work from the hard working dedicated lco's who are trying to make an actual living and go work for taco bell.

G_ Will28
06-07-2011, 12:51 AM
I'm sure he will do the complex till he finds someone to take it over. Out of the 100+ customers I have from mowing to leaf removal and so on I have never contracted anyone so I have no clue how any of that works.

I would like to take over this complex so whats the best way to go about doing so?

THEGOLDPRO
06-07-2011, 12:52 AM
Best way would be to go directly to the complex management and tell them you know for a fact the current lco is a hack and cant do it anymore, Then have them sign you on for the rest of the season. That way you dont have to waste money and pay for the account.

G_ Will28
06-07-2011, 12:56 AM
The weekend warrior part time hacks are the ones destroying our industry, I have literally zero respect for them. i have said it in the past and i will say it again, If you cant make enough money in your so called "Career" and need to start mowing lawns on the side for extra cash to supplement your crappy job then you need to make some kind of life change.

Stop stealing work from the hard working dedicated lco's who are trying to make an actual living and go work for taco bell.

Not a fan of them either but a lot of us were one of those. It took many years for my business to get where it is today and worked my other job till April of this year and finally couldnt handle it anymore and quit. 7 years it took.

G_ Will28
06-07-2011, 01:03 AM
Best way would be to go directly to the complex management and tell them you know for a fact the current lco is a hack and cant do it anymore, Then have them sign you on for the rest of the season. That way you dont have to waste money and pay for the account.

That is one thing I will not do. I wouldnt wanna lose someones trust that will be referring new customers to me.

THEGOLDPRO
06-07-2011, 01:08 AM
Its business not personal, and if hes not willing to take this business seriously then he has no right to gt mad at you.

McVey Landscape
06-07-2011, 04:14 AM
I would contact the Complex and have them sign with you for the rest of the season. Cut them a smoking deal on leaf removal to sweeten the pot if ya can score the snow removal. We take care of several complexes in my area, the fly by night guy under cuts me all the time! They then realizes what work is and hot it can get not to mention not having the equipment to take care of the lawn so they bail. Hurts LCO's everywhere.

Most people have lost a job on unemployment grab a mower and start cutting for quick money. Then realize the $10.00 an hour they quoted or $15.00 a yard is not cutting it by the time you pay $4.00 for a gallon of gas, drive to the lawn or the Ranch King mower is not holding up and breaks down all the time.

The other thing is when I get a call asking if I can do leaves. The current Ranch King guy will not do leaf pick up. I shoot a high price, then give them a full service contract for the next season to review.

I would not buy the account unless I spoke with the Complex.

G_ Will28
06-07-2011, 08:09 AM
If hes telling the truth about how long it takes with 2 people on the job its 3 hours of work and comes out to $75 an hour.

I'll just tell him that I am interested in the complex but not guaranteed enough money for the season to buy it. Go with that and see what happens.

bobo316
06-07-2011, 10:36 AM
I never buy accounts. If they decide to go with someone else your beat and out the money.

very good advise, i would go talk to the manager of the property first and see ,she may want her hubby to mow it next year!!then you'r out

N.H.BOY
06-07-2011, 09:49 PM
This is what I do for a living and would really love to ad the complex to my 76 other accounts.

Dude do you have 76 customers or 100plus like you said?
If you have this many customers then you know what the time frame will be to get this complex done. Take your buddy with you and have him talk to them with you right there with him. SO ALL are on the same page. Im guessing you have all the toys for this job and your 100 plus accounts. BUY him out and sell his crap and pay half now and the balance at end of the season with a no compete clause. Have the complex sign a three year contract with you

G_ Will28
06-07-2011, 11:39 PM
Dude do you have 76 customers or 100plus like you said?
If you have this many customers then you know what the time frame will be to get this complex done. Take your buddy with you and have him talk to them with you right there with him. SO ALL are on the same page. Im guessing you have all the toys for this job and your 100 plus accounts. BUY him out and sell his crap and pay half now and the balance at end of the season with a no compete clause. Have the complex sign a three year contract with you

76 lawn accounts about 40 leaf customers maybe more plus my regular mulch and aerating and seeding customers. Im not really sure how you bid on a complex like this one. I have all the equipment for the job his mower he has is to small for what id need it for thats why I didnt want it. i'm going to talk it over with him this weekend. I know I wont be getting this complex for free unless I pretty much go behind his back and talk to the complex management