PDA

View Full Version : Sthil recall gas caps

VO Landscape Design
06-07-2011, 12:30 AM
They finally are going to fix them. i got my notice today, have 2 on the list Kombi and edger. Calling dealer to see if they have the replacement caps.
VO

THEGOLDPRO
06-07-2011, 12:31 AM
hmmmmm hope i dont get the letter i like the weird caps.

grassman88
06-07-2011, 11:13 AM
i think they are the same i got a letter yesterday to theres a picture of the new cap and it looks the same as the old one

flyingdutch16
06-07-2011, 12:01 PM
got the notice this saturday going to the dealer today to get it fixed. Its about time tho i could barely open my cap or close it. Luckily never spilled any gas.

chaser2587
06-07-2011, 12:55 PM
I am glad they are doing this recall. My gas cap is a pita to get back on, and it's been getting worse over time. Hopefully the next cap will fix the problem.

All_Toro_4ME
06-07-2011, 01:25 PM
I had my caps replaced this past Saturday. Honestly, I cannot tell any difference. They look the exact same, screw on the same, it seems nothing has changed with the caps. But according to the dealer, there's a letter on the side of the gas cap that specifies the recall difference. Havent noticed any leaking yet, or popping out. So hopefully this issue can be put to rest.

Think Green
06-07-2011, 07:36 PM
The new cap is equipped with an idiot notch and a indention to let us know when the thing is installed correctly. The other thing they are advocating is the fuel is destroying the inner seals and workings.

We are all just idiots or the truth to the fuel problem is finally reaching the right people.

Just a good thing that all of this drama on this forum and others has reached the manufacturer and something is being done at least.

BigDreamsLawn&Landscapes
06-07-2011, 09:03 PM
I work at a dealer and got the letter as well. Most of the equipment sold within the last year already has the new cap on it. Best to take to the dealer though and have it checked out

South Florida Lawns
06-07-2011, 10:58 PM
just got all new caps today! 15 total, they are much smoother right off the bat.

rlitman
06-27-2011, 02:10 PM
I just got three caps replaced this weekend.

The first, on my hardly used FS110 came right off. Never had any issues with that one (yet).

The second, on my KM110R untwisted, but I had to help the dealer remove it (I pushed the handle back down, which pries the cap up a bit, before I was able to pull it out).

The third on my BR500 was such a fight, the dealer was about to get pliers before I was able to pry it loose. After putting in the replacement cap, he had to turn it up and back a half dozen times to be sure it was actually in right, it worked so easily.

THANK YOU STIHL! This was the only complaint I had with these machines. Now, they're perfect, at least in my eyes.

Ramairfreak98ss
06-28-2011, 08:15 AM
All our equipment started to be tough to install the caps... Guys kept running around leaking fuel all over and seemed I was one of the only ones to twist them on right then even I had issues putting them on. Thank god though.. All are replaced soon as I got the notice !

I just got three caps replaced this weekend.

The first, on my hardly used FS110 came right off. Never had any issues with that one (yet).

The second, on my KM110R untwisted, but I had to help the dealer remove it (I pushed the handle back down, which pries the cap up a bit, before I was able to pull it out).

The third on my BR500 was such a fight, the dealer was about to get pliers before I was able to pry it loose. After putting in the replacement cap, he had to turn it up and back a half dozen times to be sure it was actually in right, it worked so easily.

THANK YOU STIHL! This was the only complaint I had with these machines. Now, they're perfect, at least in my eyes.
Posted via Mobile Device

GreenGuysLC
06-28-2011, 12:21 PM
Went to get mine replaced and the idiot "mechanic" says .. you already have the new caps! The letter on the cap is the new ones .... anger set in . I told him to take the Da** cap off then and if he did it without pliers then I would leave. Aske just when the new caps were put into service since my newest piece was 1 year old . He didnt have an answer ... and after trying the caps .. we left with all new caps ... and so far ... They actually come off without needing pliers.

Friend of mine uses another dealer and went to them .. they said since he didnt buy there they couldnt replace ...lol ...um the recall says your NEAREST Sthil dealer! He too left there with new caps.

rlitman
06-28-2011, 03:05 PM
Friend of mine uses another dealer and went to them .. they said since he didnt buy there they couldnt replace ...lol ...um the recall says your NEAREST Sthil dealer! He too left there with new caps.

Right! I didn't go to the place where I bought my machines. I did have to call ahead a few times, and it was some time before they had three caps ready for me. They were getting just a handful of caps at a time, and couldn't keep them in stock for a couple of weeks.

My blower, which had the tightest cap, was the one where I thought I had closed it, and it spilled gas down my back. Glad that's not happening again.

Think Green
07-01-2011, 11:12 PM
My dealer said the same crap about where I purchased my machines. They can go to the pits of fire where the two hockey sticks dwell.
All you need is the serial number off the units and the unit model number too. Bring in the old cap and exchange them out. Nothing so darn hard about this.............dealers are only ordering certain numbers of caps to make sure in supplying all that brings them in.

Anyway..........................the new ones' are great..........not a trouble getting one off and on anymore.