PDA

View Full Version : Nightscaping at Home Depot ! ? !

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting
06-07-2011, 12:51 AM
Well it would appear that Hades has frozen over!

Have you seen this? http://www.homedepot.com/Lighting-Fans-Outdoor-Lighting-Outdoor-Lighting-Accessories/Nightscaping/h_d1/N-5yc1vZbvlvZ85a/h_d2/Navigation?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053&Nu=P_PARENT_ID&searchNav=true

Yes it would appear that Nightscaping is now available at Home Depot.
Unbelievable but true.

THEGOLDPRO
06-07-2011, 12:53 AM
oh DANG!!!

GreenLight
06-07-2011, 08:03 AM
Well I guess im going to be odd man out here, but I don't really mind this (AS OF NOW). To their credit, at least they are charging close to what the list price should be and not completely crippling the contractor. Furthermore, finally now a customer can walk into a big box store and see what a quality transformer really costs. As opposed to seeing this and thinking we are completely ripping them off. http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1v/R-202703836/h_d2/ProductDisplay?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053

Lite4
06-07-2011, 10:28 AM
Well, the market is getting competitive. They had to do something to stay alive. At least Greenlight made the point that the prices are where they should be so people can see what pro equipement costs next to the junk.

Mark B
06-07-2011, 01:45 PM
Who is installing nightscaping trannys now anyway? Not bashing, just courious.

Cam.at.Heritage
06-07-2011, 02:31 PM
I would agree that this is more of a plus then a negative because like other mentioned the client can now see what the pros use and thus are charging accordingly and not ripping them off. (I recently picked up a set of Malibu lights at a golf tournament as a free prize....I still think they were too expensive, haha)

Although this doesn't appear to be on the Canadian website yet I hope it comes around soon.

Yes sleepyhead we will still use nightscaping transformers and lights but are slowly moving onto others like cast.

GreenLight
06-07-2011, 09:02 PM
Tim and I got on this topic at the end of the "big shift" thread and we both appeared a bit disillusioned by the whole "retail" (list) price that is often times shown on a contractors invoice from John Deere, Ewing or whatever commercial grade distributor (in some cases the manufacturers will also provide you with a catalog that shows their list). To be honest, when I see that nightscaping is selling their transformers to the general public at basically what I would refer to as a "retail" price, I gain a little bit of confidence in what I believe in many cases feels like a hoax.

My biggest beef really came with Hunter (irrigation company). A few years back they began selling the PGP irrigation head in home depot. This was a head that had been used pretty exclusively by contractors during the 90's and even up until today. It was extremely popular and was a staple amongst residential irrigation systems that were considered quality. Up until a few years ago it was also only available through the proper channels of being a contractor, etc... I didn't really care ultimately that it ended up in Home Depot, to be honest it's just a plastic irrigation head and I don't care if all commercial grade products are in there. What made me pretty darn mad though was the PGP has ALWAYS "listed" at $18.00 or more from every distributor I have seen and even from the hunter catalog. Yet when it landed in Home Depot it was being sold for $10.95, instantly making me and many other contractors appear to be blatant liars for ever using list pricing for material invoicing. Maybe I was naive, but I thought that was VERY poorly thought out by the Hunter reps and it's something that I know has made me very skiddish about their products.

shovelracer
06-08-2011, 07:48 AM
I can agree with the pricing comparison. However, did anyone notice that these are only online. That means most people will never see them, and at $1000 per unit they wont be rolling into stores anytime soon. I have an issue with the way internet shopping is going and this is part of it. You buy through a storefront like HD, Wallyworld, Amazon, etc. They mearly act as a relay. The unit sometimes comes from some other place not affiliated with the original seller. Then when there is an issue, your terms are different than if you purchased over the counter, and your tied up for at least a month dealing with returns, warranties, etc.

sprinklerchris
06-08-2011, 12:15 PM
Well it would appear that Hades has frozen over!

Yes it would appear that Nightscaping is now available at Home Depot.
Unbelievable but true.

It was fun to watch the contractors who used Hunter irrigation equipment begin to gyrate when Hunter put the products in the Depot.

What's next, FX Luminaire?

Classic Lighting
06-08-2011, 01:15 PM
With major manufacturers moving their products into the retail market, it negatively impacts the contractor who only had access to these products. We, as contractors, are losing our edge in being able to exclusively offer certain products to clients. The DIY mentality may be our downfall.

The Lighting Geek
06-08-2011, 01:59 PM
It is a matter of numbers. We, the landscape lighting industry, are a relatively small industry when compared to other industries. There are very few full time landscape lighting contractors compared to landscape contractors. When you can put your product in front of a few million customers vs a few thousand, it makes sense. I don't like it any better than any of you, and I do remember seeing Rainbird and then Hunter do the same thing. The economy is in the toilet as far as growth of sales, many smaller manufacturers and contractors are just flat out gone, being bought out, etc.

We have to change with the market, and it is changing right in front of our eyes. Irrigation co.'s have bought FX, Unique, now Nightscaping is in Home Depot ( I predicted this to friends when they had trouble and lost most of their market share). It is what it is. Embrace it and change with it.

David Gretzmier
06-15-2011, 06:33 PM
for now, things are fine. But eeveryone should be operating thier business with the idea that Cast, Copper Moon, FX, Volt, Nightscaping or any other brand that turns your wheels could very well show up in Lowes or Home Depot any day now.

Why? well, money of course! People that make and sell fixtures want to sell fixtures. If they can sell more at a price that makes them profits, they will. When you watch your local distributors selling product to homeowners at the same cost that you pay, that is why.

If I were a guessing person, The first pro trans and fixtures in stores will probably be FX since it is owned by Hunter and hunter is already in Home depot. They have not really upgraded their non-torroidial 11-14 multi tap trans in 10 years plus, their fixtures pretty much are not the best anymore, but are still pretty good.

I can totally see FX reps holding seminars once a month at your local home depot explaining voltage drop.

I try to remind myself that electricians work daily in an environment where folks pick out fixtures both cheap and high end and all they do is wire and install, and maybe make suggestions to add fixtures here and there and they still make a good living. Typically, only rare lighting designers can sell "systems" inside.

starry night
06-15-2011, 07:05 PM
Does anyone think, as I do, that once a manufacturer goes the route of supplying big box stores, that eventually they will begin skimping here and there on quality and quality control. I believe it is a slippery slope for them.

Steve Atkinson
06-15-2011, 08:37 PM
Hi Everyone,

Just thought I'd share my thoughts on this. For those who do not know me, I was a Nightscaping field rep until last October. Now selling out here on the West Coast for both Brilliance LED and Simply Automated.

Insider communication to me was that a few months ago, Nightscaping was acquired by a pipe company in SoCalif. From what I know they are still manufacturing as before but this sales presence in Home Depot may simply be a shift in thinking in this down economy by new management. Can't say I blame them, but I do wish them well.

Many years ago, Bill Locklin shifted gears and spread from the electrical industry over to the green industry to keep the company running and profitable. To me this just represents an effort to find sales where they may be. We all know the professional still attracts the serious buyers. I do not see them selling many transformers through their online site.

ELumin8
06-17-2011, 12:34 AM
Lavesta still owns the company. Good see to they are jumping on board with HD since so many other distributors & contractors turned their backs.

Steve Atkinson
06-21-2011, 08:37 PM
My mistake. I learned today that the pipe company who I said had acquired Nightscaping is only providing sales rep services for Nightscaping. The company exists as it did before.

And I also learned that in addition to transformers, Nightscaping has most of their fixture line on the Home Depot website at what appears to be list price.

Artisan1
06-21-2011, 09:35 PM
Like Steve Atkinson I also have been affiliated with Nightscaping since the mid 80's as a contractor...from 1999 to 2007 as an inside
employee as some of you will remember, and even a brief disastrous stint as an outside sales rep in 2010. Currently I am a contractor who no longer uses the Nightscaping product.

This economy has forced many of us to do things we would never imagine doing to stay alive. Nightscaping is just doing what
they believe will increase sales. For the many good people who are still employed there I certainly hope it works.

Unfortunately for Nightscaping here on the West Coast they have gone from being a major player to being insignificant in the industry.
I don't think their presence in Home Depot will affect this industry either positively or negatively. I can't imagine anyone purchasing
Nightscaping product through the HD site at those prices, and the general retail customer most likely won't even take notice of them
due to the astronomical cost. If they become anything but ignored on the HD site I would be surprised.

Same for their presence in the contractor market here in So. Cal...there are better quality products that are much easier to purchase at much better prices. Until
that changes they will also remain insignificant in the contractor market. I think Vista or FX would entering HD would make a much bigger impact.