PDA

View Full Version : Calling all STANDER X owners!!!

whoopassonthebluegrass
06-07-2011, 11:09 AM
Looking for feedback on this machine, but not getting ANY responses. Surely SOMEONE has this mower, right?!?!?!?

Seeking information regarding the new deck's cutting performance - particularly in wet, spring growth - where the old deck really struggled.
Curious as to whether the floating deck hurts the machine's hillside stability.
What are the weaknesses of this machine?
What type of repairs have been required?
Would you buy this unit again?

After the travesty that was my BOP purchase, I'm extremely reticent to buy an unproven deck.

Thanks for any and all feedback.

THG
06-07-2011, 09:13 PM
I have a 2011 Stander X and love it so far. We bought it mainly for slopes and hills and it holds them very well. I have not had any problems with the cut or dispersement at all but also keep in mind that when you are mowing slopes you are not cutting as fast as when you are on flat ground. I would recommend you demoe the mower for a few days like I did before you buy especially based on other folks not having the same cut quality as I am describing. It goes and turns in places that my Scag Tiger Cat cannot and it does not tear the turf while doing it. Mine cuts very clean and even.

whoopassonthebluegrass
06-07-2011, 09:36 PM
None out here in the west to demo. Closest one is MAYBE in Denver @ the d.c...

Have a dealer who says he'll try to bring one in for me, but I'm not sure how long that will take...

THG
06-07-2011, 09:43 PM
Well so far it is performing very well. We only have 50 hours on it but it handles hills very well. We have never cleaned or scrapped the deck and have not had clumping or standers. There are a couple of threads on the Wright Channel on this website that may provide you some of the difference between the regular stander and the Stander X and also one forum where Wright rates the hillside performance between their line up. This is my first Stand on mower and I demoed the V-Ride and Grandstand as well (both good mowers) but the Wright held the hills much better.

nepatsfan
06-07-2011, 09:49 PM
If you want to buy a fixed deck 52 with a proven P.O.S. deck...practically brand new...make an offer

THG
06-07-2011, 09:58 PM
netpatsfan,
I am still laughing at your reply although for the money I am sure you are not laughing. I wish you could try the new deck out and see how it performs for you. Any chance of your dealer and/or Wright maybe swapping out for the new deck?

whoopassonthebluegrass
06-07-2011, 11:38 PM
Driving them was great. Sadly, neither were the EXACT model I wanted - but I figured it would allow me to comprehend the fundamental differences between the manufacturers.

TORO GRANDSTAND 36" OBSERVATIONS:

Controls seem CRAZY low. I'm only 5'11" and I felt like I had to bend over to run the machine.
Platform very wide open and comfortable - the suspension really smoothed out the bumps.
Deck/Motor bounced a time or two. Bothers me b/c all that weight rises up and then slams down on the height-adjuster pin.
As I come around the bend, to run the mower sideways across a slope, machine slips sideways for about 3" while the machine levels out, but then grabs. (This might be remedied with a lower rear tire pressure.)
I like the idea of having the hydros' speed regulated independently - ideal for teaching the machine to a newbie.
I've owned a TurboForce deck, so nothing impressive there. In fact, I was a bit disappointed with it in taller stuff and remembered just why it was I always ran doubles.
I was surprisingly pleased at how the front casters never left the ground. Even when cresting a hill at full bore. That extra weight will actually minimize wear and tear on the frame and front forks.
Toro bag attachment setup sucks. Not effective at all (unless they've changed the bag's plate since I bought my TurboForce w/b.)

WRIGHT STANDER RH 36" OBSERVATIONS:

Loud. (Not likely an issue with a different motor.)
No suspension on platform incredibly jarring.
Control handles overly stiff - my hands were tired in a matter of moments.
Love the bag attachment design. So simple, yet effective.
This unit had a weak left hydro (perhaps bypass was partially open) - and that made it a bit weird when going sideways across hills with left side lower.
Why on earth is the parking brake in the way of the rapid height system? To encourage you to put the brakes on?
No stringers when mowing - even when cutting a solid 3" off the top.
Cut looks less-than-pretty because the left blade turns the grass one way, while the right the other (which is the norm - except that it shows up in the pattern). Thus, one pass = tire track, dark green, light green, tire track. VERY ugly. That being said, I would think a strong striper would eliminate this issue.
Only hill I could find was well within specs. Nonetheless I could stop in the hillside, go down, go up, to go around obstacles. I did, however, have a hard time gaining traction on the upper back wheel unless I first had both rear wheels moving in the same direction...
Though there will be others who take umbridge at this next statement, I will call it like I saw it: Hanging 8-10" above the ground and BEHIND the mower on the Toro felt NOWHERE NEAR AS STABLE as riding 4" off the ground right-smack between the rear tires.

If I were to choose now, I'd be choosing the Stander. Not THAT model, mind you, but the Stander nonetheless. Stability is my #1 concern, and the Wright made me feel far more comfortable. Quality of cut is important, but I'm not looking to cut like a Walker. Rather, I just don't want to have to go over it twice because of stringers. Efficiency and basic-customer-acceptability are my worries. Thus, the faster, more stable, longer-track-record Wright Stander looks to be my choice.

The jury's still out on this, but that's what today's experiences are pointing me towards.

As an added bonus, the Wright dealer was amazing - and amazingly honest and open. Also has a 24 hour commercial policy and has been selling and servicing Standers since 2002.

whoopassonthebluegrass
06-08-2011, 12:03 AM
They just updated the Wright website today. New deck is called the "Aero Core Deck"

The DECK features a space-saving design that also results in greater deck strength, as well as recessed caster wheels for a more compact footprint and better agility. Anti-clumping baffles prevent debris build-up and air-tapered surfaces create pressure to pull up grass for a cleaner cut. With the Stander X, you can get more done in less time with better results.

newtland
06-08-2011, 04:30 PM
I just got one and the guys wont even use it the deck tilts to one side when the ctcher is half full cutting lower than the other side. I hope this gets fixed nine grand out the window. Stick with the old style we have four and they are fine.

THG
06-08-2011, 05:49 PM
Here are some photos of the new deck on the Stander X. So far so good with me.

SALCORP
06-08-2011, 05:59 PM
I had one purchased one about 4 weeks ago I had if for 20 hrs then the dealer had it for 3 days i got it back and broke again the deck slams up and down its being supported by thin bolts with chains hooked on the the machine fell apart wheel fell of gas tank sucked it self in and stalled machine but the deck part is bad design i thing the lift chains and system looks cheap I also had the first rapid height wright made those machines had so many problems they almost put me out of work anways I went to fixed deck 52 I returned the x and got a fixed deck

whoopassonthebluegrass
06-08-2011, 08:40 PM
Good to know. I think the Stander fixed deck is my best bet. Fewest moving parts, most stable, and has a solid track record...

grassman177
06-08-2011, 08:55 PM
intersting to hear about the stander x failure for a few guys, others i hear like them but hope more chime in.

nepatsfan
06-08-2011, 08:56 PM
Good to know. I think the Stander fixed deck is my best bet. Fewest moving parts, most stable, and has a solid track record...

except for the deck.

Oakleaf landscape
06-08-2011, 11:59 PM
I had one purchased one about 4 weeks ago I had if for 20 hrs then the dealer had it for 3 days i got it back and broke again the deck slams up and down its being supported by thin bolts with chains hooked on the the machine fell apart wheel fell of gas tank sucked it self in and stalled machine but the deck part is bad design i thing the lift chains and system looks cheap I also had the first rapid height wright made those machines had so many problems they almost put me out of work anways I went to fixed deck 52 I returned the x and got a fixed deck

Hard to believe anything you say because it doesn't seem like you passed high-school with your grammar. Helps a lot if you use punctuation and spell check.

outlaw1960
06-09-2011, 01:32 PM
Whoop, If you discharge a lot, try the Toro or Exmark variation, they seem to recycle clippings better. The Skag cuts once and discharges. We bag a lot because of the propery sizes here.......and it doesn't take a PHD to cut grass....sorry if my puncuation and grammer are incorrect....but my properties look awesome. Lighten up Guys, We are all trying to cut grass and make a living here. Not go to college

LawnGuy73
06-10-2011, 09:37 PM
Hard to believe anything you say because it doesn't seem like you passed high-school with your grammar. Helps a lot if you use punctuation and spell check.

LOL.......... Ouch!

UfoPilot
06-10-2011, 11:48 PM
I just got one and the guys wont even use it the deck tilts to one side when the ctcher is half full cutting lower than the other side. I hope this gets fixed nine grand out the window. Stick with the old style we have four and they are fine.

Your deck lift springs are adjusted too tightly.

whoopassonthebluegrass
06-11-2011, 12:55 AM
There will be no stander for me.

I demoed a Stander for the past two days, and it couldn't come close to handling a number of my hills, or how many turns I have to make while on a decline...

It sticks like glue going straight up and down - but I have almost no opportunities for that. Too many side-to-side requirements and too many spots where I'm forced to turn to the left or right on an incline/decline.

There was just no comparison to my w/b's.

The machine was great, though, when it worked. I found the cut to be fantastic. I was also surprised at how competent 17hp was. RH deck was awesome. Speed was great. Actually handled some of my bumpy lawns better because of its weight.

It's a shame it can't handle a significant portion of my accounts...

grassman177
06-11-2011, 07:15 AM
which model were you able to demo?

whoopassonthebluegrass
06-11-2011, 09:12 AM
2010 36" rh.

LawnGuy73
06-11-2011, 10:00 AM
2010 36" rh.

That's your problem right there...

The rh is a piece of crap and the narrow 36 doesn't help either.
Posted via Mobile Device

UfoPilot
06-11-2011, 12:01 PM
Test a ZK, You can mow vertical walls with that thing...:laugh:

LawnGuy73
06-11-2011, 12:34 PM
Test a ZK, You can mow vertical walls with that thing...:laugh:

that is true....
Posted via Mobile Device

WJC
06-11-2011, 06:44 PM
The OP was looking for feedback on the Stander X, but is condeming standers based on a 36" RH demo. I'm confused because they are completely different machines

nepatsfan
06-11-2011, 08:19 PM
Seriously....the RH isn't even fair to compare with hills. That is the biggest p.o.s. that Wright makes. In order to be fair to yourself...demo the X or the fixed deck.

LawnGuy73
06-11-2011, 09:02 PM
Seriously....the RH isn't even fair to compare with hills. That is the biggest p.o.s. that Wright makes. In order to be fair to yourself...demo the X or the fixed deck.

Agreed.
Posted via Mobile Device

whoopassonthebluegrass
06-12-2011, 12:13 AM
It won't change anything. I am, of course, aware they are not the same machine. But the principles behind the prohibition of such mowers being a viable solution for me are the same: heavy machinery is a no-go.

I have to have a lightweight machine that I can manipulate and assist by hand as I run along side hills, make turns down slopes, and push and pull out of pickles. A machine that, on ANY slope at ANY angle, if I stop it, it doesn't go any where, doesn't change direction, doesn't slip-and-slide off the face of that retaining wall I'm navigating.

None of the standers of any brand qualify. I need a sub-500# machine or I put my very life in peril. NOT something worth paying a premium at the dealer for.

I'll stick with what I have for now, and figure things out in time.

Thanks for all useful feedback, though. I appreciate it.

And for those not satisfied with my response, that was the ONLY Stander available to try within 100 miles of me. In fact, the only DEALER I've ever met who actually allows demos. And I'm satisfied with the realizations I came to.