PDA

View Full Version : NEED HELP...Pavers discoloring after wash and regrout???

NJemerald
06-07-2011, 03:29 PM
I was wondering if any of you have come across this before?

A customer was tired of the weeds growing in the walk every years so they asked us to powerwash and re-grout a walkway and patio with polymeric sand.
No problem... Have done this numerous times. We did not do the initial install... Customer believes they are Anchor pavers (sandlewood like color) and plain old mason sand was used in the joints...
She wanted the front walkway done asap so we powerwashed (water ONLY... no cleaners) only the walkway, removing moss and dirt film and opening joints for new sand to fill. We let dry for two days. Then we installed Techo-bloc polymeric sand (grey) ... wet and a left... a week or two later the customer is calling, saying the pavers are turning orange.
Stop over and Yes... all the pavers that were powerwashed are turning orange!?!?
The sprinkler system was turning on (town water... no well) and used once since we cleaned and re grouted... BUT the patio pavers have not discolor... ONLY where we washed and re grouted???
I've called reps for both paver and grout...
Anchor says their products dont blead and powerwashing wouldnt hurt them...
Polymeric rep says never heard of this... all sand is from one quarry for the mix...
No chemicals were in the sprinkler system... besides nothing else discolored, EXCEPT where we washed and grouted...
My last idea would be high iron in the water... but no other neighbor is experiencing this and we just did the same type, wash and regrout on a smaller walkway, on the other side of same town .
??????

Thanks in advance

Cam.at.Heritage
06-07-2011, 03:38 PM
I don't know about the polymeric you use or what kind it is, but I know if we put some products down and the pavers are still damp there will be a slight orange color but it is obvious right away, and will go away after a couple rain storms.

I have never experience anything turning orange after a couple weeks.... you have any pictures?

NJemerald
06-07-2011, 04:24 PM
Its a shady area so it's kind of hard to see the pics I took. I'll see what I can do.
From what I was told by techo-bloc... they are now subing out the manufacturing of their polymeric sand, so 1 company basically makes ALL the different polymeric sand we use. true or not?!?!

Cam.at.Heritage
06-07-2011, 04:31 PM
Well I guess that could be true, I don't use polymeric sand though, We use all 'Envirobond' products

Mowingman
06-07-2011, 06:36 PM
I would ask for a copy of the MSDS and find out exactly what polymer is used in that sand you bought. If anything else is in it, that also will be shown. It does sound like iron might be involved, causng that orange color.
Also, the sand could contain iron grains. A lot of sand, from various sources, can have iron impurities in it.
hopefully, it will just be a temproary thing, as mention in the other post.

DVS Hardscaper
06-07-2011, 07:04 PM
What brand are the pavers?

Posted via Mobile Device

PatriotLandscape
06-07-2011, 07:19 PM
Charge them for a color change.
Posted via Mobile Device

PatriotLandscape
06-07-2011, 07:20 PM
Bring a water sample to a pool store and have it tested for iron content.
Posted via Mobile Device

DVS Hardscaper
06-07-2011, 09:35 PM
nevermind, i saw the "Anchor".

Might you have any pictures? I'm curious to see this.

I know clay pavers and clay brick bleed when cleaned with acid. My instinct is to think the pavers are bleeding.

If they had that much iron, they would see it in their comodes. I'm being serious. If there was a water problem, the water in the tank of the comode sits in the tank all day long and thats where you can always get a good idea of what condition your water is in.

What brand is the polysand that Techo uses?

DVS Hardscaper
06-07-2011, 09:38 PM
Its a shady area so it's kind of hard to see the pics I took. I'll see what I can do.
From what I was told by techo-bloc... they are now subing out the manufacturing of their polymeric sand, so 1 company basically makes ALL the different polymeric sand we use. true or not?!?!

"are now"?? They always have.

zedosix
06-07-2011, 09:57 PM
When you applied the sand what were the condition of the pavers. were they wet, did you blow off the pavers previous to "misting" the polymeric sand? I've seen guys hosing this crap in and completely being ignorant of how it should be done. Not assuming you don't know what you're doing of course.