PDA

View Full Version : Portable Battery Jump Starter

Westbrooklawn
10-15-2002, 09:15 AM
I've decided one of those portable battery pack jump starters might be a good investment. Does anyone have a good recommendation based on experience?

captdevo
10-15-2002, 09:25 AM
don't opt for the cheapos (with lites and gadgets)....i've been thru 4 different ones and have been let down.

i now have one made by solar "Booster Pac" $198 and one by K&K "Jump-n-Carry" $149 both of these were a little pricey, but they have worked great....

Guido
10-15-2002, 09:41 AM
Great Advice CaptDevo. I have experience with the jump and carry. It works good. I also have some experince with the $50 version junk (experience throwing it accross the parking lot):)

Go for a good one and you won't regret it. Its a good investment. We have a 12V/24V one also that we use for our heavy equipment and it works great. Its a must have in our shop, especially during the winter, with over 80 pieces of equipment/vehicles.

Mow&Snow
10-15-2002, 10:47 AM
Yup same advise here. Had a junky one, and after a few weeks, it would no l;onger hold as charge. Not good.

Gravely_Man
10-15-2002, 01:50 PM
Don't want to sound like a broken record but you get what you pay for. I also opted for the cheap one. So just imagine I am in the middle of nowhere the battery dies. I figure no problem I will just use the fully charged jumper that I have but guess what. Darn thing didn't do a thing. I ended up give it to the trash men but warned them on to count on it.

Gravely_Man

Westbrooklawn
10-15-2002, 03:46 PM
Thanks for the replies from everyone. After some intense internet shopping I found and ordered a K&K Jump-N-Start commercial model for only about $35 more than the consumer stuff sold by the local Wal-Mart.

Should have it in about 2 days......I suspect it will be one of those tools that you don't need often, but when you do need it you will wonder how you ever got by without it!! I will put the old jumper cables into mothballs....ha ha!

Westbrooklawn
10-15-2002, 04:02 PM
I should have said I ordered a "K&K Jump-n-carry".......the jump-n-start was another brand I had run across on the net that appeared to be more of the consumer type....