PDA

View Full Version : Exmark Spindles or Aftermarket Spindles ? Wow look at the price difference.

MJB
06-07-2011, 07:18 PM
I just ordered some new Exmark spindles part # 1-634972 First I contacted my dealer and he wants $220 + tax each. Since I'm replacing all 3 this mower is 12 yrs old and has the original spindles, on a 60" Trivantage deck. I decided to first do a search online. Bam! Same part number but the price was $96.84 for aftermarket . Which one would you buy ? Is there a difference ? Obviously I went with the cheaper ones, but will they hold up as well as the originals 4100 + hrs? What would you have done?

Is the Exmark dealer overpriced, the other dealer said this was his regular price?

Runner
06-07-2011, 07:20 PM
We've ALWAYS used the aftermarket ones, and never had any troubles. have yet to change the same spindle twice, so I'll let ya know! lol

ProStreetCamaro
06-07-2011, 07:26 PM
The aftermarkets have GREASE fittings like ALL spindles should! You are lucky to get that many hours out of the originals. We had one replaced under warranty. At 2500 hours 2 has been replaced twice and the other one was just replaced. So 1 is one year old and the other two are brand new. Never once had a spindle go bad on any mower other than the one and only exmark we have ever owned. Love the little bastard but the spindles suck on it. I hope the aftermarkets last longer than the originals.

Tofutti
06-07-2011, 07:26 PM
Even if they only last half as long (six years) are you going to have this mower when it's 18 years old? At half the price, being that the mower is already 12 years old, I would have to guess that you'd be replacing it not too far in the future.. Go with the cheap ones. Even if they last a quarter as long, that's only about an extra yard/week to pay for a replacement over the half-life expectancy (assuming they only lasted six years to begin with). Plus, in 3 years' time, will you still be running this mower?

MJB
06-07-2011, 07:36 PM
The aftermarkets have GREASE fittings like ALL spindles should! You are lucky to get that many hours out of the originals. We had one replaced under warranty. At 2500 hours 2 has been replaced twice and the other one was just replaced. So 1 is one year old and the other two are brand new. Never once had a spindle go bad on any mower other than the one and only exmark we have ever owned. Love the little bastard but the spindles suck on it. I hope the aftermarkets last longer than the originals.

I didn't see any grease zerks in the picture. But beings it's my backup mower I'm not to worried either way. I'll probably keep this machine as long as the engine and hydros last. Right now the engine is L/C and has about 2000 hrs on it. The muffler came apart inside and dropped junk into the heads the first time so while it was down I had my buddy rebuild the engine even though it used no oil before that. Now the muffler is getting old and I have not changed it again maybe I should find an aftermarket one.

MJB
06-07-2011, 07:39 PM
Even if they only last half as long (six years) are you going to have this mower when it's 18 years old? At half the price, being that the mower is already 12 years old, I would have to guess that you'd be replacing it not too far in the future.. Go with the cheap ones. Even if they last a quarter as long, that's only about an extra yard/week to pay for a replacement over the half-life expectancy (assuming they only lasted six years to begin with). Plus, in 3 years' time, will you still be running this mower?

I agree.
In 3 yrs I should have another mower in the rotation so this would still be a back up, . Just been to good a mower to think of selling. I can make in a couple weeks with it what I could sell it for so makes sense to keep it.