PDA

View Full Version : In over my head.... almost!

South Florida Lawns
06-07-2011, 08:45 PM
Got a new shopping center to maintain. Its less than a year old but completely neglected. From broken irrigation, garbage and dying plants to roughly 60yrds of mulch needed. I seriously have to add some more laborers, at least temp labor. Very little grass involved but tons of detail.

Today we got a big chunk of the property cleaned up after the mowing route, still got Tons to go. The owner stopped by and seemed happy with the progress.

We're a lot smaller than the maintenance companies they're used to working with, but I'm hoping to take over all their properties for them, we'll see how it goes.

Ric
06-07-2011, 09:38 PM
South

The biggest problem when working management companies of large commercial real estate is PRICE & PAY. They will work you death and bankruptcy you before moving on to the next guy. Many years ago I had a deal where the Guy tried to cheat me out of paying for a huge clean out on a newly purchased commercial building. A friend in the same Real Estate type business told me that is SOP and they do it all the time and get lower price or free work. I got my money when I ask for it in this case. Funny how he tripped and fell just as he said, I am not paying.

South Florida Lawns
06-07-2011, 10:39 PM
South

The biggest problem when working management companies of large commercial real estate is PRICE & PAY. They will work you death and bankruptcy you before moving on to the next guy. Many years ago I had a deal where the Guy tried to cheat me out of paying for a huge clean out on a newly purchased commercial building. A friend in the same Real Estate type business told me that is SOP and they do it all the time and get lower price or free work. I got my money when I ask for it in this case. Funny how he tripped and fell just as he said, I am not paying.

Ric you are very right on this, I know guys that have been in that situation, they threw in a cleanup with the mulch and some ornamentals, think they got a decent maintenance account but the owner sells the property and the cleanup they threw in ends up being a bad mistake.

I feel good about this management co. and the owner, who I'm friends with his son.

Ric
06-08-2011, 08:31 AM
Ric you are very right on this, I know guys that have been in that situation, they threw in a cleanup with the mulch and some ornamentals, think they got a decent maintenance account but the owner sells the property and the cleanup they threw in ends up being a bad mistake.

I feel good about this management co. and the owner, who I'm friends with his son.

South

When it comes to business, Some People have no friends.

gregory
06-08-2011, 09:18 AM
very true ric, sometimes the FRIENDS are the first to screw you. its happen to me...

americanlawn
06-08-2011, 09:05 PM
I seldom check out the Florida forum, but this one stood out. Check out http://www.conlinproperties.com Their website looks nice, doesn't it, but ......

We did work for them before, never again>>

1) They seldom pay before 90 days

2) Nearly ALL of their properties are "government subsidized" (tax payer dollars)

3) They shop for the lowest price every year, so there is no long-term partnership with any vendors

4) When we used to treat some of their properties, we noticed that most of the apartment dwellers were home all day long (welfare recipients)..... I won't go into the race issue if you get my drift. Most people work for a living -- that's all I want to say.

5) The last time they (Conlin) requested an estimate was for a large apartment complex (mowing & apps). It took me nearly an hour to measure it, but by the time I was done - I knew it was nothing we wanted to get involved with:

Dirty diapers thrown off the balconies, old chairs & couches also thrown out onto the lawn, broken glass & trash everywhere. Lots of folks watched me while I measured - I figure it's cuz they were unemployed and reliy on taxpayer dollars to pay their bills >>welfare. I even found hypodermic needles in the turf. Properties like this = You better lock your truck. my 2 cents

alf500series
06-08-2011, 09:09 PM
i got burned a few times by this same kind of deal. my suggestion- have the customer pay half up front and the other half once project is done, that way you can at least cover expenses. or if they don't want to pay half--try doing it in installments. i make all my customers pay at least half up front now and haven't had any problems since i started doing that. if they aren't comfortable with paying up front you probably don't want to do business with them anyway.

Patriot Services
06-12-2011, 08:39 AM
More reasons why I have no desire to do medium-large scale commercial. They dont pay up front. The amounts can be substantial enough to put a company out of business.:usflag:

South Florida Lawns
06-13-2011, 07:43 PM
So far so good! Thanks for heads as well guys.

Patriot Services
06-17-2011, 09:07 PM
So that means you've seen some money?
Posted via Mobile Device