PDA

View Full Version : Customer Hates Lines

IBGreen
10-15-2002, 12:09 PM
Hey guys! I've got a problem here, I have this customer who we have been cutting for about a year. Never has he or she ever complained. They always come out and tell me what a wonderful job I do and how much they love it. One day after I got through another LCO stopped and was talking to me and she came out and made it known to me and them how good we do. Now for some odd reason they decide they don't like the way my WWW.HUSQVARNA ztr leaves lines in thier lawn so they want me to use the 21" walk behind how much sould I charge them now? I was thinking twice as much. It takes about 30 minutes with two people so its going to take a lot more effort but hey, anything for a customer.

Brandon Shaw
Evergreen Landscaping Concepts

Green Pastures
10-15-2002, 12:18 PM
Communication, is the key here. You need to sit down with them face to face and explain your point.

15 minutes mowing time with the z = $25 for mowing
30 minutes with two push mowers = $50 for mowing

These are just big round numbers, but as an example that time = money. They'll understand.

Scott

SIG
10-15-2002, 12:20 PM
My Answer--I don't push mow lawns-Sorry. Call Bobby down the street!

Gravely_Man
10-15-2002, 12:34 PM
I would definitely explain this to them ASAP. More time is fine but it costs more too. Explain the ZTR is doing any damage.

Gravely_Man

scott's turf
10-15-2002, 01:37 PM
Originally posted by SIG

I agree, I don't even own a push mower. That ZTR cost you money whether it is on the grass on on the trailer and the customer is going to pay for that. If you have the time and energy to push mow than charge her for it. If you demand the same rate ($/hr) I think she may flinch.

BRIAN GALLO
10-15-2002, 01:40 PM
Did you always cut it with the Husky Z or is this something new for you? If it's new, they are probably mad that you are getting done so fast and feel they are paying too much. In which cas you tell them that this machine cost me XXX thousands and I bought it to improve my efficiency and the quality of cut on your lawn. If it's not new, chances are they were talking to someone (relative or neighbor) that said "I would never let one of those big machines on my yard", and now they are paranoid. In either case there is some damage control that needs cleared up asap so you can continue using the Z. If you absolutely must use a 21, price it high or you are going to lose out.

Good luck.

geogunn
10-15-2002, 02:01 PM
this has happened to me.

I used the customers pusher once and said never again.

she fired me.:eek:

I got my revenge that fall when she called me and asked if I'd "like to come pick up her leaves".

and I politely explained that I only pick up the leaves of the people that I mow for.:angel:

GEO

IBGreen
10-15-2002, 05:19 PM
Thanks guys! I love knowing I'm not the only person that has to go through these things! I love this site! I have had my ztr the entire time I've had their account so I would say a neighbor probably had enfluenced them. I believe you're on to something Brian, I guess I'll set down with them and let them know that the lines are not "ruts".

Brandon Shaw

MATTHEW
10-15-2002, 05:57 PM
Mow it in circles.:dizzy:

The Mowerdude
10-15-2002, 08:00 PM
Here's a line I use for this situation:

"Maam, telling me which mower to use is a little like telling your carpenter which hammer to use, or your plumber which wrench to use, or your surgeon which scalpel to use. If you want to make these decisions for me, fine, but I'll have to refigure the price accordingly."

No, I'd say that she's got some other burr under her saddle and you are an easy target. Most likely it doesn't even have anything to do with you, she's just wound up tighter than a banjo string and venting. If she's been a good customer up to this point, I'd cut her some slack. I think if you'll roll with it, things will be back to normal soon. If they don't, then politely tell her that when she's over the REAL problem, she should give you a call so you can resume the service. Then I'd leave and not come back. If she never calls, you're better off. If she does call, you'll have a good customer who probably will never do this to you again.

SLS
10-15-2002, 10:47 PM
I have a hunch that your are dealing with "jealous" or "know-it-all" neighbor syndrome.

I had one of these. A nice old widow woman too.

"isn't it bad for the grass to mow when the grass is wet"..."Isn't that big maching compacting my ground too much?"..."Can you not make those stripes...aren't they going to cause ruts?"

Turns out, it was the lardazz next door neighbor planting those questions in her head....the guy who mowed his weed patch of a lawn once or twice a month-and never trimmed.

Didn't take long to straighten that one out. :D

IBGreen
10-16-2002, 12:01 AM
I will call and see what I can do. Thanks for you're comments. You guys feel the same way I do, so thats a lot of weight off my shoulders.

Brandon Shaw

cantoo
10-16-2002, 12:10 AM
IBGreen, no use losing a customer that you have had that long. Go to Home Depot and buy a cheap spring tine dethatcher the mount it to the rear of your mower so that the tines stick into the grass and almost touch the dirt. This will "straightened the grass back up after you cut(stripe) it she will be so happy that you made the extra effort for her. The tines will also be useful for lifting up mattted wet leaves when double cutting for the second pass. I've never tried this so if it don't work don't call me, everything looks good on paper.:)

awm
10-16-2002, 09:15 AM
i dont own your mower . but i lhad to learn how to lay a smooth no lines cut ,long before i learned anything about striping.mow varying directions ,mowing slower can sometimes help. it takes as uch or more, know how to, leave the smooth look as the stripes. it aint always easy ,but u can do it . good luck.
ps smooth cut requires deck as level as possible. also 3 inch is a good hieght
for this look,on a smooth lawn.

LAWNS AND MOWER
10-16-2002, 01:29 PM
Tell her you´ll gladly use a push mower for the same price only if she makes the payments on your Z.

LAWNS AND MOWER

Brickman
10-16-2002, 01:37 PM
Originally posted by SIG

Same thing I did with my Walker. Told em it was the back bone of the opperation and if they didn't want me to use it then they should break out the "thrifty nickel" ASAP because I had too much work to be using a pusher. They all stayed.

TurfPro
10-16-2002, 01:49 PM
IBGreen,

I'm a little off topic here,but how do you like your Husqvarna ZTR? I've been looking at one and would be VERY interested in a users opinion. What model do you run?
BTW: I wouldn't dump a long time customer at the drop of a hat..try finding out WHY she's all of a sudden displeased???? Show some real consern and she may come around.........
Thanks!

Green Pastures
10-16-2002, 02:05 PM
Funny, I've never had a customer tell me what mower to use on their lawn. I dont stripe though. There are stripes, but not like the ones you get if you're trying to stripe.

I would charge more for a lawn I had to push mow though. In fact I wont even bid on lawns I have to use anything less that my Toro 36" hydro on. Push mowing just takes to much time to make a profit.

Scott