PDA

View Full Version : Big Shrub Install

spin2098
06-07-2011, 11:08 PM
I'm preparing a bid for a pretty big install. Will consist of 37 shrubs.

24 36 inch box woods
6 30-36 inch globe Arabs
4 rose bushes
3 Alberta spruces 3 feet tall.

I've already removed the old plants and billed for that. The beds are easy to get to which is nice. I'm thinking about a days work. I came up with a bid around $4,800 including delivery. Does that sound about right? I know each area of the country has different rates just making sure I was not way off on either end.

bmoorefield
06-08-2011, 12:17 PM
How much are you paying for the shrubs, and how big were the shrubs that you removed. Its difficult for us to compare with the minimal numbers you are showing. Are you applying and fertilizer with the install?

lukemelo216
06-08-2011, 09:52 PM
seems a little low to me. I am at abour $5100 for the plants and installation only. That includes the plant material, the installation, and a 1 year warranty. Included in plant installation is the mixing of an organic blend of soil to backfill. Mulching and material disposal is more. I probably am a little high becasue I am sure if you contact your nursery with a large order such as that, you may be able to get a little better price because they would probably end up just digging your plants and doing a direct delivery. it wont be that great of a discount a few dollars a shrub (mainly on the boxwoods) Probably around the 4800-4900 if im getting a good deal, so maybe 5300-5500 with mulch depending on how much needed.

The way I figure it is usually. wholesale price marked up 35%, that amount x2 for the warranty, and then 60-70% of the wholesale cost for installation (mainly depending on the type of plant, and if we are using machine, or hand installation. I would hand install all of those plants so we would be at 60% on most of them, maybe 65% on the spruces just because they are a little bigger.

spin2098
06-08-2011, 10:23 PM
Thanks Luke appreciaete the help!

lukemelo216
06-09-2011, 12:33 AM
yeah no problem. Like i said, talk to your wholesale provider, and see what kind of discounts they will give you for a large order like that, it really helps so you can provide a competative price.

Like I was saying at 60-70% of the plant for install, thats general rate, for average size plants, shrubs, perennials, small trees 1-2" calipers, and smaller spruce trees and such. When we get into bigger trees where we need to utlize a skid loader instead of a dingo, i will go 80-100% of the cost, sometimes even more if its a really big tree.