PDA

View Full Version : What do the large companies use ?

Bunton Guy
10-15-2002, 02:40 PM
Just curious if like Brickman uses all one brand of equipment and some other large landscape co's or do they use what they can get...the largest company locally here uses all exmark mower and all echo 2-cycle. I have brickman in my area just never looked to see what they run.

Guido
10-15-2002, 04:04 PM
If you can be brand loyal.

Reason for that is this:

Parts swapping and stocking replacement/service parts is much easier. Knowledge when working on the equipment should be a little better because you only have to learn one type of machine.
Dealer loyality probobly brings benefits too, figuring your buying from the same dealer everytime.

There are a lot of reasons, but those are just a few of the reasons that would be important to me.

John from OH
10-15-2002, 05:50 PM
One of the big companies in my market uses only 1 brand of mower. They have an in house dealership set up so they buy wholesale, do their own warranty work, and can stock parts at wholesale.. Saves alot of upfront ivestment and alot of downtime.

Bunton Guy
10-15-2002, 05:58 PM
There is a large Co. here that does around 10-12mil. in maint & landscape and they use anything they can get there hands on and run the equipment into the ground. I have seen them out there with trimmers that had safety wire holding this and that on there ect..... So I couldnt beleive they are attempting to put out quality work with half azzed equipment. But I do see how using only 1 brand of mowers and 1 brand of 2-cycle ect...can help with swaping parts and knowledge.

65hoss
10-15-2002, 07:56 PM
TGCL landcare here uses all cabovers, eXmarks, and Stihl equipment.

dlandscaping
10-15-2002, 08:39 PM
TGCL uses Hustler 260k riders scag hydro wbs, giant vac blowers and exmark 21's or murrays haha and redmax trimmers stikl blowers and bobcat skid steers.
Another large company uses only scag but alot of 1-2 crew companies run either all toro or toro wbs and exmark Z. Stihl is the local fav for blowers tho and now billygoat wb blowers are popular.

Should i mention one dealer carries stihl scag toro billygoat husky and bluebird.

Swampbeast
10-15-2002, 10:38 PM
Largish company here in Houston uses all SCAG mowers and Echo 2-cycle, and Ford F-350. They have around 20 crews, so yeah, they have lots of brand loyalty! :blob3:

dlandscaping
10-15-2002, 10:41 PM
O yeah TGCL all uses F450 PSD!!!

Bunton Guy
10-15-2002, 11:06 PM
Brickman around here uses F-450 stake body pulling a 28+foot enclosed trailer....both truck & trailer are 2 tone poop brown and I think I saw them with all exmark and stihl.

IBGreen
10-16-2002, 12:30 AM
There is one company here in Little Rock that has about 10 crews and all use Shindaiwa 2-cycle. I have never seen any of their employees holding anything else. But they have a mixture of ztr's and wb equipment, I have seen so many Kubota and Walkers with them its unbelievable. The bad part is that they also own a Toro dealership! That has to cut down on sales!

Brandon Shaw
Evergreen Landscaping Concepts

Mykster
10-16-2002, 02:00 AM
The bigger Co.'s around here are mostly using Exmark or Scag.

I would imagine you would see other brands of comm. mowers if they had dealers like Walker, Hustler, Bobcat or DC. up here.

JasperStorm
10-16-2002, 08:31 AM
Companies are loyal to brands that manufacture reliable tools. They find something that works for them, and then they stick with it, unless something clearly better comes along.
We have used the same brands of hydro's, 21's, and 2-cycle equipment for years. Once in awhile, we'll demo some different brands just for comparison, but rarely purchase them.

Small time outfits and scrubs are the ones who get excited by promotional shirts and hats, and 30% savings over more durable equipment brands. I'd rather buy my own clothes and have less equipment downtime.

Bunton Guy
10-16-2002, 09:59 AM
Its funny its seems in every large area in our country the CO's that have more than 10+ crews are running either exmark or scag....I have yet to see a large company run like gravely or snapper.

mklawnman
10-16-2002, 12:55 PM
THe biggest Landscape company in Wisconsin i believe, David J Frank, they use all Scag equipment for mowing, or mostly scag some bobcat too. Seems like they also use GM trucks. Not certain about hand held stuff but they do great work and have a great company, for anyone working their. They've spoken at my Highschool in my landscape class a few years ago talking about the Lawn Care Industry.
Matt

goose
10-20-2002, 03:36 PM
We use Toro for all our ZTR's and midsize needs , but this year when we buy we are going to start using Scag and Emark . The main reason is because of the dealer we have been dealing with over the last 10 years has gone done in customer care and another dealer wants our business and acts likeit. Our 2 cycle equipment is going to be Shindaiwa instead of Stihl or Echo for the same reason.

Guido
10-20-2002, 03:41 PM
You have a very valid reason of switching over. The dealer service / availablity of parts should be just as important as what brand of equipment. I don't care how good the equipment is....sooner or later it will need parts.

I don't think a lot of Manufacturers realize it, but dealer support has a huge impact on equipment choice.

lawnkid
10-20-2002, 06:27 PM
There are several large companies around in my area.

Brickmann runs all Ford F-450's and 550's and all Scag mowers, Echo 2-cycle, and Echo blowers from what I've seen on most trailers. All enclosed trailers.

Artistic Landscape uses all Chevy and GMC K-2500's and K-3500 trucks, agaiin all Scag mowers, but once I've seen a Great dane Chariot, Echo 2-cycle, and Echo, Sthil, and Giant Vac blowers. all enclosed trailers.

YardMaster runs mostly all Chevy's and International from K-2500's to big rig dumps. They run all Exmark equipment, Shindaiwa trimmers and blowers, and Giant Vac and Litlle Wonsder blowers. All open trailers.

DiSanto Company runs all Scag and Exmark, mostly Chevy and GMC trucks from K-2500's to big rig dumps. Idk what kind of 2-cycle or blowers though.

I could go on and name liek 3 other companies but surprising to say, I still see alot more Scag's on trilers than others, but ExMark is slowly starting to be seen. But when i'm that big in like 10 years, :), I'm gonna have all Scag's, all Dodge and Ford trucks, all Stihl and Echo power equipment, Giant Vac blowers and leaf removal systems, all enclosed trailers, and all Western snow equipment. That's a lot to be dreaming of but if I keep my business, hopefully someday i'll get there.

:D ;)

lawnkid
10-20-2002, 06:30 PM
And another thing, how do you get those little icons under your name?( 65Hoss, LawnGodfather, Bunton Guy etc...) Just curious :D

Bunton Guy
10-20-2002, 07:24 PM
Is SCAG's parts cheaper ? or cheaper to repair ? hmm.....see why i ask is bunton mowers are quite a bit cheaper than scag and parts are in the middle with prices but I see scags are expensive and parts must be the same. I rarely every have break downs and if I do its usually a bolt vibrated off or flat tires....springs shooting off its hardly ever major mechanical problems " knock on wood"

Brickman
10-20-2002, 07:39 PM
Originally posted by lawnkid
And another thing, how do you get those little icons under your name?( 65Hoss, LawnGodfather, Bunton Guy etc...) Just curious :D

They are called avatars and you can insert one in your user control panel. Edit options I think is where. Upload one from hard drive and away you go.

As for Brickman Group I wish I was the one owning them. I wouldn't be busting it for change like I do now that is for sure.

stslawncare
10-20-2002, 08:19 PM
the big company here uses ford trucks and enclosed trailers with a few of the other trailers. they are mainly f-450 stake beds with a few f-350 pickups. almost all of them are diesels. not sure what brand equip never really looked. what brand trailers do your big companys have?

Swampbeast
10-21-2002, 01:32 AM
Firstly, I saw another lawn company today, they had two Snapper riding lawn mowers, a Crapsman push mower, and a Crapsman weedeater, and a broom! All this was piled into a little bitty 5X8 foot trailer. It was the most pitiful sight I have seen in a while. This was all pulled by a Ford Station wagon!
SCAG parts. I think the prices for parts are about the same for everything else. Some parts, such as the blades, made by Marlbury Metal, those are a little expensive, but they are AWESOME! I love those blades!

LAWNGODFATHER
10-21-2002, 02:17 AM
Brickman Group runs all Scag and drived Ford trucks, and buys Welscargo trailers, why?

National Fleet contracts straight from the MFG.

TGCL; buys whatever MFG will give them the best deal.

Out local big LCO's

Top Care Inc.; Ford, Exmark. They are also in KC MO, Chicago.

Land Cemitry; Ford, Exmark.

Loyette; Ford, Ferris.

Cut N Trim; Whatever trucks they can get, Exmark

Outdoor Maintenance Inc.; Chevy/Ford, Howard Price/Exmark.

J&M; whatever junker they buy.

Blue Grass; same as J&M.

Bunton Guy
10-21-2002, 09:17 AM
Our top 3 co's in charlotte run

Byrds Landscape: Exmark, echo, Mitsubishi cabovers

Cox Landscape: Exmark, echo, Isuzu Cabovers

North America Landscape: Any 2-cycle, Scag,exmark, Isuzu & chevy 3500 cabovers.

crawdad
10-21-2002, 09:26 AM
I can't help but wonder what The Lawn Chopper (Choupique) uses. I heard he makes as much as 25 dollars an hour! At that rate he's only got to work an hour or two a day to be successful. He has a lower overhead, because he doesn't bother with insurance and other uneeded expences.
payup
Crawdad

The Mowerdude
10-21-2002, 09:55 AM
Originally posted by Bunton Guy
There is a large Co. here that does around 10-12mil. in maint & landscape and they use anything they can get there hands on and run the equipment into the ground. I have seen them out there with trimmers that had safety wire holding this and that on there ect..... So I couldnt beleive they are attempting to put out quality work with half azzed equipment. But I do see how using only 1 brand of mowers and 1 brand of 2-cycle ect...can help with swaping parts and knowledge.

Usually, I think you'll find that with the larger companies, they've got $hithead employees tearing things up faster than they can replace. So they take the attitude:"If you're not going to take care of it, you can work with it torn up." I've run crews as large as 8 people. The more employees, the higher the chance of one or more of them being passive aggressive behind your back.

Also, you'll find that they in fact are not turning out high quality work, because any employee that won't take care of the equipment, generally won't take care of the customer's yard either. Follow them around and you might pick up some work. :D