PDA

View Full Version : How do I charge for my Mini Skid?

White Gardens
06-07-2011, 11:58 PM
I'm just trying to get the most out of using it and am having a conundrum about how to charge correctly when I use it.

It's not like a large skid steer where the operator is generally never going to leave the seat when it's running. So you would charge X amount of hours which generally includes the labor of the operator.

With my mini, it runs, and I'm on and off of it constantly. So my labor is a bit more than operating the machine.

And then on top of it and I have my mini-hoe that attaches to it, so would I charge a bit extra when it's on there.

My thoughts are to charge a set rate for the machine only with no labor, but then also charge for my labor on a job site. But I'm also not sure how much to charge for just the machine.

Any thoughts guys? Thanks.

J. Peterson Grading
06-08-2011, 12:27 AM
I was in the same boat when I got mine. I decided to do what your are thinking, and charge $50 Hr.

J.

White Gardens
06-08-2011, 08:11 AM
Thanks for the reply, good to know that is the ballpark I was thinking for charging and also to know someone else has got the same idea.

Bigred350
06-08-2011, 02:17 PM
We charge 60 per hour

icex
06-08-2011, 11:46 PM
$65/hour as long as im on the job.

im charging $65 a hour right now for my 304 c cr, and i've been off the machine laying pipe more than anything

bearmtnmartin
06-09-2011, 01:13 PM
I charge $85.00 per hour. When you have something unique, you need to charge more for it, not less. If it wasn't a gamble buying it, everyone would have one and be lowballing trying to find work. But you really pay a premium for a machine that doesn't even have a seat. Really, where is the money in these things? Ditch Witch charges a premium to the buyer because it is a unique low volume machine, so you need to pass that expense on, not absorb it.

Bigred350
06-09-2011, 11:28 PM
I charge $85.00 per hour. When you have something unique, you need to charge more for it, not less. If it wasn't a gamble buying it, everyone would have one and be lowballing trying to find work. But you really pay a premium for a machine that doesn't even have a seat. Really, where is the money in these things? Ditch Witch charges a premium to the buyer because it is a unique low volume machine, so you need to pass that expense on, not absorb it.

Very well put....... we have done lots of jobs that we normaly couldnt do without our mini.

White Gardens
06-09-2011, 11:31 PM

Thanks. That is a great way to put what these machines really do.

It's hard though when other operators tell me, "well, it's smaller than a regular skid so you would charge less". To me that's a true machine operator talking and not a landscaper.

One other thing I've kinda figured is without the mini, how many labor hours would it take to do something by hand? I'm guessing the mini takes up 1.5 laborers easily.

Nice backhoe attachment BTW! Thumbs Up

Very well put....... we have done lots of jobs that we normaly couldnt do without our mini.

I'm finding the same thing out. I was able to clean out a wind-break that has 35-45 foot white pine trees. I was able to snake around in between the trees and push back old brush piles that were in the wind-break.

bearmtnmartin
06-10-2011, 02:59 AM
I made 3500 dollars in one day a while back cleaning out an 8 foot diameter culvert that had become plugged with rocks and debris. They really had no other options, so were very happy to pay me. I will happily charge according to how limited their options are because although I enjoy my work, I"m mostly in it to made a dang good living.

arbor pro
06-16-2011, 09:51 AM
I get $35-$40 per hour just for the machine (labor extra) depending on which mini I use. A 20hp machine will get $35, a 32hp machine brings $40. I generally only use a grapple bucket or forks on my machines. If using a tiller or trencher, I would add about $15/hr to the base price.

Anyone looking for a mini or attachments? I just bought a new Ditch Witch sk650 and am selling my bobcat mt52 with 90hrs and Powerhouse Prowler with 700hrs. Also have tiller, trenchers, augers, etc.

scott