PDA

View Full Version : Putting new tires on and changing tubes in front wheels on Scag

TurtleCreekL&L42
06-08-2011, 12:46 AM
I got one flat back tire and one front flat caster wheel. I bought two new tubes for the front and new tires for the back. Im trying to save money and do it myself. Anyone know if putting a tire on a rim for a ZTR and replacing the tubes for the front is easy enough for garage work?

TheOctagon
06-08-2011, 12:59 AM
It's not too bad at all. Only problem is without proper tools you will find yourself poking your tubes with screwdrivers you will most likely use to mount the tire and have to end up buying more tubes. By the time you are done it will end up costing more. I would say in your case remove the rims and tires from the mower and take them to a tire shop. Let them do that work and bring them back and install them on the mower yourself. You will save a little money that way and if a tube is poked its their ass not yours.

weapons of grass destruction
06-08-2011, 01:06 AM
I would use slime first.
If the hole is not to big works well.
And for the little tire take your time with it should be easy.
As far as putting the tire on.
My friend told me about a special tool to use has like a spoon end made specially for the job.
And yes it might be easier to take it to a shop.

topsites
06-08-2011, 01:35 AM
There's a couple of videos for the back tire on Youtube, although I have a tire mounting device and some tire irons but
I believe all you need is a couple of hairy screwdrivers and a vise grips, the video was definitely helpful.

This guy:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=75nQulNhX7g
He's really good, I can't say for sure if you'll get it down as good as he is lol

Richard Martin
06-08-2011, 04:33 AM
Why do you have tubes in the front tires?

scagman52
06-08-2011, 08:05 AM
Never use tubes. The tires are tubless so just plug them. If they will not hold plugs then buy new tires.

johnroscoe
06-08-2011, 09:05 AM
Go solid on the fronts, it's worth it!

ed2hess
06-08-2011, 08:32 PM
I go down and use the shops tire mounting device and just give them a few bucks cash. Most of these tires are NOT going very easy.

Daily Lawn/Landscape
06-08-2011, 11:21 PM
What mower is it on? I have 2 brand new flat free front tires w/ rims for a scag I will sell you. They are just collecting dust in the shop.

James

scagman52
06-09-2011, 08:12 AM
daily lawn...what are you asking? will the fit a tiger cub? are they complete with bearings? Thanks

Baytownlawncare
06-10-2011, 09:01 AM
I got a flat yesterday after being on vacation for a week. Picked up a tube at tractor supply and took the Scag to Discount Tire. They jacked it up took the tire off, mounted the tube and tire for $5. So or under $20 it was fixed. Now I lost half the day and will make it up today but it is done.

probe1957
06-10-2011, 10:45 AM
I have been in the tire business for over 30 years and I can assure you that little lawn mower tires are the worst to mount. You can end up chasing the tire/wheel all over the garage floor trying to get it mounted. Nevertheless, it can be done with a couple of screwdrivers and a pair of vice grips. Ultimately, you will be better off paying some kid at a tire shop to do it for you. And for the ultimate in ultimately, foam fill your front tires.

Richard Martin
06-10-2011, 10:53 AM
I have been in the tire business for over 30 years and I can assure you that little lawn mower tires are the worst to mount.

I changed tires many moons ago. I got pretty good at it actually. Could do 4 tires, mount and balance in 20 minutes. It takes them 20 minuted just to jack a car up now.

The worst tire I ever got asked to work on was an airplane tire. It was large, heavy and 16 ply. It had been sitting in water for quite a while so there was some rust involved too. I never even got the bead broke. This was my weapon of choice.

http://common1.csnimages.com/lf/1/hash/1/3171674/1/Hd+Impact+Bead+Breaker.jpg