PDA

View Full Version : Cold Calling 101

Mikegyver
06-08-2011, 11:59 AM
Ok, so what are some effective methods when cold calling, both in person and via phone or email?
mike

topsites
06-08-2011, 01:30 PM
I don't know, they always call me, not the other way around.

GMLC
06-08-2011, 02:12 PM
Cold calling rarely works, I did it for years in the financial industry and you might get 10 people out of 100 to talk to you and 1 might be interested enough to meet in person. Mostly pisses people off and you will get a lot of hang ups, you have to have thick skin. Do you really want your business associated with cold calling? Door hangers work best for me but door to door can work as well. Introduce yourself as a LOCAL business and have a nice professional brochure to hand out. If people see you and your business around town enough they will think of you first. Network Network Network...

TheBetterDoorhanger
06-08-2011, 03:12 PM
Cold calling rarely works, I did it for years in the financial industry and you might get 10 people out of 100 to talk to you and 1 might be interested enough to meet in person. Mostly pisses people off and you will get a lot of hang ups, you have to have thick skin. Do you really want your business associated with cold calling? Door hangers work best for me but door to door can work as well. Introduce yourself as a LOCAL business and have a nice professional brochure to hand out. If people see you and your business around town enough they will think of you first. Network Network Network...

I'm sorry to say but I agree. As a consumer, I absolutely can't stand to get those calls. Everything from the fake Hi how are you.. to the pitch. Staying top of mind like GMLC mentioned above is really important. Our Band-It Stick-It® products really help create that for your advertisements.. if you want any more information or for free samples visit our website www.AdeasPrinting.com/free-samples.

Thanks!
Robin
Adeas Printing
www.AdeasPrinting.com
866-778-4254
robin@adeasprinting.com

cpllawncare
06-08-2011, 05:40 PM
So far, direct mail has worked best for me, depending on how big you want to grow, but if your want to grow on a big scale you got to advertise on a big scale. Door to door works on a small scale which is great for getting those first 20 or so accounts but at that point you should incorporate a monthly advertising budget stick to it and do it on a regular basis.

Mikegyver
06-08-2011, 05:56 PM
What i mainly meant was door to door...at the most as far as calling is concerned I would call some local churches or the like.
Thanks
mike

dvaughn
06-09-2011, 10:01 AM
Unless you are calling businesses cold calling is most likely illegal. You can still call businesses but regular homes are a big no no. You need to check the do not call list first. If I remember right you have to pay a fee to become a member just to get the list. The list does not state who you can call but it is a list of who you cannot call. So you end up spending hours checking phone numbers to that list. It is not worth it. Like stated above most people will hang up or be rude to you anyways.

cpllawncare
06-09-2011, 10:12 AM
Unless you are calling businesses cold calling is most likely illegal. You can still call businesses but regular homes are a big no no. You need to check the do not call list first. If I remember right you have to pay a fee to become a member just to get the list. The list does not state who you can call but it is a list of who you cannot call. So you end up spending hours checking phone numbers to that list. It is not worth it. Like stated above most people will hang up or be rude to you anyways.

That's all very true, basically stay away from cold calling, it's not worth the time or effort you have to put into it. My first advertising campaign was a thousand door hangers that netted me two really good accounts. So you see what I meant by if you want to go big you gotta advertise on a big scale I'm about to send out 12k post cards over a three month period then I'll do it again over another three month period, depending on the business I get, I may increase it on the next go around.Just keep your name out there all the time as much as possible.

GainesvilleLawnscaping
06-09-2011, 10:25 AM
That's all very true, basically stay away from cold calling, it's not worth the time or effort you have to put into it. My first advertising campaign was a thousand door hangers that netted me two really good accounts. So you see what I meant by if you want to go big you gotta advertise on a big scale I'm about to send out 12k post cards over a three month period then I'll do it again over another three month period, depending on the business I get, I may increase it on the next go around.Just keep your name out there all the time as much as possible.

When you do the mailings, do you just use the standard 29 cent postcard stamp or do you get an account at USPS to get a bulk rate?

cpllawncare
06-09-2011, 10:28 AM
When you do the mailings, do you just use the standard 29 cent postcard stamp or do you get an account at USPS to get a bulk rate?

Definitly go bulk rate

TheBetterDoorhanger
06-09-2011, 10:45 AM

Just wanted to give you a bit of information on pricing regarding our direct mail pricing.

FULL COLOR + FULL SIZE 9x6 + STICK-IT® + GLOSS COVER PAPER
PRICE INCLUDES POSTAGE -- We are currently running some special offers that add FREE DESIGN SERVICES to your order -- custom designs included or choose from a template to customize with your logo etc. Your choice!

5000 - $0.27 per piece (currently special is $0.26 each + free design)
2500 - $0.28 per piece (current special includes free design)
1000 - $0.35 per piece

Above pricing includes (bulk) saturation rate postage -- Add $0.09 per piece for non-saturation postage service. What is saturation & non-saturation?? -- please call me & I can review with you & also help you purchase a mailing list that will work for you & still stay within the saturation rates. I'm happy to help you figure out where to start based on your budget.

Thank you,
Robin
Adeas Printing
www.AdeasPrinting.com/Products
866-778-4254
robin@adeasprinting.com