PDA

View Full Version : My internet!

DVS Hardscaper
06-08-2011, 06:43 PM
How many folks here cut through at least one cable line a year?

I remember many many many moons ago when cable companies actually burried their cable lines in the ground!

Now, they lay them ontop of the ground (if it's a new home), and scaper rolls sod over the line.

Hit a cable line today, it was placed over the ground with sod rolled over it :hammerhead: The Mrs wasn't happy :nono: The lines were marked, but that doesnt mean we won't hit it.

People work from home and no likie when they lose the internet!

PatriotLandscape
06-08-2011, 06:54 PM
ahhh i love that. here if they are cut they have to put them in conduit and run a new line by law i think. too many of them were done that way even the big fat line that goes into the neighborhoods. we cut one of those one time and knocked out cable/internet to about 200 homes. it was an oversight by the utility locating company and not our fault.

SVA_Concrete
06-08-2011, 10:08 PM
we pothole all utility marks. If we cut a cable it better not have been marked --otherwise we are paying for it.

DVS Hardscaper
06-08-2011, 10:16 PM
we pothole all utility marks. If we cut a cable it better not have been marked --otherwise we are paying for it.

They charge you? I've so far never had to pay for cut lines. Cable resting on top of the ground I would probably fight in court. If they buried them properly, then I'd take the blame.

Posted via Mobile Device

White Gardens
06-08-2011, 10:19 PM
As far as I know if the utilities are marked correctly in an occordance to law, then the contractor is not responsible to pay for the repair.

SVA_Concrete
06-08-2011, 10:27 PM
They charge you? I've so far never had to pay for cut lines. Cable resting on top of the ground I would probably fight in court. If they buried them properly, then I'd take the blame.

Posted via Mobile Device

yep, in VA you can get a fine from the SCC as well as a repair bill from the utility operator.

i have learned the key is to take many photos, and be on top of the entire repair process. the guy doing the repair needs to become your friend -- quick, he generally writes the initial report.

we hit a 2" high pressure gas main, we would have been stuck with the bill had we not had photos and a strong explanation/defense right out of the gate.

STL Ponds and Waterfalls
06-08-2011, 10:28 PM
Just don't hit a fiberoptic line unless it is going to COST you big time. A local contractor hit a fiberoptic line and it knocked out a few hundred or more homes and the local highschool where the work was being done. Luckily for that contractor the locate company screwed that up.

Bigred350
06-08-2011, 10:31 PM
We cut the cable line on every job....yes every job. Around here they dont mark the cable for some reason. We always call the underground in to. Comcast will fix it for free so its no big deal.

Fishallot
06-08-2011, 10:49 PM
Just keep a few connectors and some cable line in the truck, it's an easy couple minute fix to get it working again until a proper repair can be made.

Back when we did irrigation I cut a cable mainline going into a large neighborhood. Lines were all marked but they could never actually find the break. I must've hit it while boring under the driveway. I fought it in court and lost, cost me a grand.

clcare2
06-08-2011, 11:51 PM
Cable is easy to fix, but fiber sux. Got a customer that lives about half a mile off of the road and after having to have the whole thing rerun three times, on,by once by us.. We followed the guys laying the last "trench" and laid in our own permanent markers.

DVS Hardscaper
06-08-2011, 11:55 PM
I've noticed that cable used in new houses is larger diameter, and orange.

I've previously looked for connectors that size for splicing, but could not find any.

Anyone know what I'm talking about? If I'm there tomorrow when the repairman (doubt it would be a woman) comes out, maybe I'll inquire.

White Gardens
06-09-2011, 12:13 AM
I've noticed that cable used in new houses is larger diameter, and orange.

I've previously looked for connectors that size for splicing, but could not find any.

Anyone know what I'm talking about? If I'm there tomorrow when the repairman (doubt it would be a woman) comes out, maybe I'll inquire.

I know what you are talking about. It's the stupid DSL lines they are putting in to upgrade the old ones. Those are the one's that are super shallow.

I love it when I find the old ones that are dead and for a split second my heart sinks as I think I've hit a live line.

yardworks, inc.
06-09-2011, 12:25 AM
just ask the cable repairman for some connectors, thats what i did, he gave me quite a few and about twenty feet of cable so i could do some temporary fixes in the future

JoeyDipetro
06-09-2011, 12:49 AM
What's the lesson here? Inform folks that even though these utilities are marked, there is still a chance that lines will be cut and their services interrupted. That's just the way it is.

VO Landscape Design
06-09-2011, 02:46 PM
Most cable around here is "buried" 2 " or so. They say it is cheaper to fix than bury it the correct depth.
VO

DVS Hardscaper
06-09-2011, 03:44 PM
Most cable around here is "buried" 2 " or so. They say it is cheaper to fix than bury it the correct depth.
VO

That's what my inclination was. $400 per new house to bury. Or $150 to repair one out of 8 houses....

Posted via Mobile Device

IRRITECH
06-09-2011, 09:49 PM
VO

Last time I cut a phone line it was the usual 2" and mismarked. Repair guy thought he was too cool and informed me that there is no requirement to bury the line at any given depth and that we would have to pay for this in the future.
Yeah, whatever.

Cut a gas line last year, that was fun. Police, fire department, etc show up. Got a bill in the mail for about $500. Lucky for me the line was mismarked , I had taken plenty of pictures showing where we cut the line and where the mark was.

SDLandscapes VT
06-10-2011, 10:38 PM
we cut a phone line with the edger for the sidewalk and every spring we cut something with the bed edger.

scagrider22
06-11-2011, 11:32 AM
I cut at least one cable line a year. Radio Shack has underground cable repair kits that work great. It makes a a great connection and its easy to install, the connector is screwed down with two screws, then a rubber grommet slides over the connection and last it has a sticky membrane that goes over the connection to keep it dry.

DVS Hardscaper
06-11-2011, 12:09 PM
I cut at least one cable line a year. Radio Shack has underground cable repair kits that work great. It makes a a great connection and its easy to install, the connector is screwed down with two screws, then a rubber grommet slides over the connection and last it has a sticky membrane that goes over the connection to keep it dry.

Does radio shack have this for the DSL line?

Posted via Mobile Device

scagrider22
06-12-2011, 12:13 AM
Does radio shack have this for the DSL line?

Posted via Mobile Device

Im not sure, the kits I have say they work on RG-6 and RG-6QS coax cable. The kit is RadioShack brand and called, waterproof coaxial splicing kit. You should be able to find them online, Home Depot and Lowes around me do not sell them.

coolluv
06-19-2011, 09:05 AM
When I was working as a super for a large local construction company we would have management meetings and have quest speakers come in and talk to us about new laws and regulations that effected us in the field. We had the local utility rep come out to tell us about the new changes to the laws regarding hitting utilities.

It used to be that if the line was marked you had a 2ft margin on either side, so 4 ft. If you hit the line outside of the 4ft area it was on them so to speak, but if you hit it withing that 4ft it was on you. Well this rep told us that they were implemented new rules regarding that safe zone and that there was no longer a safe zone anymore and you were required to pothole every line and make visual confirmation of every line before excavation, and no machine digging of any kind to locate the lines. It all had to be by hand.

So what they were saying is that if you were 10ft from the mark and hit the line you were still responsible for damages. That was back in 06 if I remember and I don't know if they are holding people to that but that is what the rep told us. I used to make my guys pothole everything and we would chase it all the way through the area we worked in just because it usually snaked side to side and the depth would change up and down so you never could rely on it being were you thought it would be.

Sometimes we would pothole for two days before doing any actual work. I know the guys hated it. I know here in Atlanta the lines do crazy things and are usually never were they mark them. We had a locate for a 4 inch gas line that was marked in the middle of the road, turns out the guy was chasing a storm line or something because we found the gas line in the shoulder where we were working, got lucky and were being really careful and the track hoe pulled it up in the bucket but it was shallow and didn't damage it.

Back in the heyday they were building commercial and residential so fast that the utility companies couldn't keep up and were throwing the **** in the ground any which way.

Dave...

Stillwater
06-19-2011, 12:49 PM
http://www.georgia811.com/excavatorfaqs.aspx

coolluv
06-19-2011, 03:38 PM
Thanks, I never looked it up to be sure but I guess it hasn't changed. I don't know what that rep was talking about then. We always pot hole anyway but sometimes you never find it.

Good to know.

Dave...

Ben'sLawnCare
06-19-2011, 04:29 PM
I hit a wire for low voltage lighting early in the spring. Even though it's low voltage it still don't feel to good. haha

SunriseGardens
06-20-2011, 12:45 AM
if you can get the correct splicing fittings and have enough extra cable laying around. a good quick fix to seal it up is to take a 3 dollar tube of silicone caulk and cut a off the tip and cut a line down the side of the tube. then run the splice into the tube and spin it to coat the splice, leave the tube in place and bury it before anyone knows.... not pretty, but it keeps the water out, and in most cases keeps everyone happy, with little extra time and money invested.

scagrider22
06-20-2011, 12:52 AM
if you can get the correct splicing fittings and have enough extra cable laying around. a good quick fix to seal it up is to take a 3 dollar tube of silicone caulk and cut a off the tip and cut a line down the side of the tube. then run the splice into the tube and spin it to coat the splice, leave the tube in place and bury it before anyone knows.... not pretty, but it keeps the water out, and in most cases keeps everyone happy, with little extra time and money invested.

The water proof kit from Radioshack is faster, easier and a permanent fix. The kit costs about the same as the tube of silicone.

Gilmore.Landscaping
06-20-2011, 12:58 AM
I have cut people lines while aerating their lawn.... I asked the cable guy about it since one time it was actually my neighbors house and he said well just don't aerate down this side of the house.

I told him there was no way I was not going to aerate the whole side of my house and he told me I would have to pay to repair it next time. I have since broken it again and still no bill :clapping::clapping: haha

And there is no way I am getting locates before every house i aerate.... 300+ a year.

GreenI.A.
06-21-2011, 08:51 PM
I was on a site last year where another contractor hit a gas line last fall. The house was under a big renovation and while we were there to install the the irrigation and new lawn the pool contractor was doing his work in the back. While I was trnching my lines he offered to use his mini-ex to dig out the valve box locations. Mainly so that we would be out of his way quicker. Not only did dig safe not mark the gas line at all, but the line was only buried under 4-5" of soil. Turns out the site contractor completely changed the grade of the land, and almost completely uncovered the line.

The pool conractor tore it apart digging out my boxes and luckily we noticed right away.