PDA

View Full Version : Breaking Point to Stop in Heat

DVS Hardscaper
06-08-2011, 06:28 PM
99-degrees here today. Dewpoint 67%

We're doing a patio job that is on the west side of the house. No trees (for shade).

I preach and preach to the guys to drink water. I make them stop and drink water.

As we were finishing up, one of the guys looked like he was feeling dizzy. I asked him 3 times if he was ok, and he insisted he was.

Little while ago he called me and said he wasn't feeling good and if didnt get better he was going to the hospital. So i told him to take a cool shower, drink cool water and rest and if no improvement get to the hospital. (not only am I a world renowned hardscape GOD, I'm also the DVS Doctor!)

I got to thinking that with NO shade, wide open sunlight, and a 6' fence blocking the breeze - maybe we should have cut-out at 2.

Anyone here ever stop working early?

I'm a believer in starting early and finishing early on days like these......but the suppliers dont open till 7, and we often pick up materials first thing.

PatriotLandscape
06-08-2011, 06:50 PM
yeah we cut out completely if it seems to be dangerous. as owners we cannot count on them to take care of themselves before it turns into a comp claim.

last week I was in the Bahamas with my wife (yes I am bragging :) ) while away it was 90 degrees and very sunny one of my guys got a nasty sunburn on the back of his head. I came back to find him now with an infection from the blistering burn. he has been out two days now and had to go to the hospital. him not taking care of himself just cost me money is it great :)

BrandonV
06-08-2011, 08:59 PM
Get a sunbrella too. If your laying you can move it along with ya.
Posted via Mobile Device

STL Ponds and Waterfalls
06-08-2011, 09:18 PM
10x10 Easy up tent, few box fans.

SVA_Concrete
06-08-2011, 09:22 PM
keep the ac off in the truck on the way to work and if we go out for lunch break.

i don't know that i have ever called a day on the account of heat. when we are pouring medium sized slabs or stamped concrete we will start putting mud on the ground at 6:00 or 6:30

hydration is not just water, food plays a role in it as well. many guys will not eat in the heat and that is a no no.

White Gardens
06-08-2011, 09:22 PM
I've been working in the heat for the last 4 days.

Today I drew the line and quit at 3pm. I can only take so much of it before it starts to take a toll on me. I pushed through the last couple of days with no issues but I could tell my body was getting a little more run-down today.

shovelracer
06-08-2011, 09:33 PM
Those little pop up tents are fantastic. even being able to get out of the sun for a few minutes makes all the difference. But to answer the question, no not any time recently have we checked out early. Last year on the day it was 105* we layed pavers for 11hrs straight. Today it was 98 and we worked 13 hrs. Granted I am the only one who does this every day of the week though. My employees get days off.

DVS Hardscaper
06-08-2011, 09:42 PM
Our dump truck needs the low pressure switch for the A/C replaced. I've intentionally never replaced it so that no one gets spoiled on really hot days. Although it would be nice to have at the end of the day for riding back.

I don't mind the heat, I welcome it. But everyone has their limits. We're usually in yards with trees, or in yards where we're not catching all the afternoon sun. Tomorrow is supposed to be worse, we'll probably stop around 2.

Fishallot
06-08-2011, 09:55 PM
We don't like to cut out early but there's usually a few days a year where it's so unbearable that it has to be done. I've seen guys drop from heat exhaustion, it ain't pretty.

If you feel the need to cut out early at least make some use out of the time. Leave a couple guys on the clock and send them to the supply yard early afternoon to pick up supplies for the next day.

White Gardens
06-08-2011, 11:18 PM
I don't mind the heat, I welcome it. But everyone has their limits. We're usually in yards with trees, or in yards where we're not catching all the afternoon sun. Tomorrow is supposed to be worse, we'll probably stop around 2.

Last year I was working on a pond and defining a beach with natural wall stone, all mortared in.

The blazing sun would hit me every day without so much as a fair-weather cloud in the sky. At night when I would go to bed and shut my eyes, I swear that someone turned a floodlight on and I could see it through my eye-lids.

I'm sure you could use the sun/heat as some good torture.

FLAhaulboy
06-09-2011, 08:49 AM
"I preach and preach to the guys to drink water. I make them stop and drink water.

As we were finishing up, one of the guys looked like he was feeling dizzy. I asked him 3 times if he was ok, and he insisted he was."

Need to drink something besides "water". I drink Powerade Zero, has no sugar in it, wear sunglasses, & this cap-the best n coolest cap ever made. I take mini breaks as needed, usually for 5 mins, lay flat on the ground in the shade. The cap is made by Columbia & sold at Academy Sports for $16 bucks & I own two of them.

http://www.lawnsite.com/picture.php?albumid=754&pictureid=4801

prosper
06-09-2011, 09:25 AM
When I am doing work like this for hours I constantly keep cool by using a garden hose to hose my self off. The water is cool after running about 2 minutes to get the hot water out of the hose. Also a hose hung in front of a box fan and set to mist if you have a multiselect nozzle helps alot. Pop up canopy also. In NC where it is up there now, many use the pop up canopy.

As a homeowner when I have someone working onsite in this weather, I usually buy pizza and give drinnks all way long, I dont ask I give it to them since some people are shy to accept.

Stillwater
06-09-2011, 10:31 AM
Anyone here ever stop working early?

I'm a believer in starting early and finishing early on days like these......but the suppliers dont open till 7, and we often pick up materials first thing..

Yes, if we can't shade a area with our tents or if it is more a hassle to do so we will cut out early. I get daffy at temps over 101.....

if you cut out early it doesn't necessarily mean going home,... get supplies for the next day so you can start earlier..... as the year go on I get less tolerent

Stillwater
06-09-2011, 10:33 AM
"I preach and preach to the guys to drink water. I make them stop and drink water.

As we were finishing up, one of the guys looked like he was feeling dizzy. I asked him 3 times if he was ok, and he insisted he was."

Need to drink something besides "water". I drink Powerade Zero, has no sugar in it, wear sunglasses, & this cap-the best n coolest cap ever made. I take mini breaks as needed, usually for 5 mins, lay flat on the ground in the shade. The cap is made by Columbia & sold at Academy Sports for $16 bucks & I own two of them.

http://www.lawnsite.com/picture.php?albumid=754&pictureid=4801

I can't wear hats they make me feel hotter

FLAhaulboy
06-09-2011, 11:14 AM
"I can't wear hats they make me feel hotter"

NOT this hat, it keeps your head cool, its ventilated & the back bottom part, when wet from sweating, cools your neck & ears.

DVS Hardscaper
06-09-2011, 11:15 AM
I can't wear hats they make me feel hotter

That, and they interfere with my hair bleaching to blonde.....

Posted via Mobile Device

Stillwater
06-09-2011, 11:42 AM
I was relocating some irrigation zone valves last week,The Lady home owner said I look hot....... I said thank you......

STL Ponds and Waterfalls
06-09-2011, 11:45 AM
That, and they interfere with my hair bleaching to blonde.....

Posted via Mobile Device

Worksite or beauty salon?:)

cecilmac
06-09-2011, 09:56 PM
All I have to say is if its to hot for me to b in the field. I can't expect my crews to tuff it out , its not worth someone becoming ill or dying...
Posted via Mobile Device

greatinmulchbeds
06-09-2011, 10:06 PM
I just picked up a 15 gallon sprayer at tractor supply for $80 bucks, we fill it with water and dump a few bags of ice in it. The nozzle has a mist setting, instant heat relief! works great http://www.tractorsupply.com/lawn-garden/lawn-garden-sprayers-spreaders/lawn-trailer-sprayers-spot-sprayers/fimco-15-gallon-spot-sprayer-lg-15-ec-tsc-2138134

White Gardens
06-09-2011, 10:41 PM
All I have to say is if its to hot for me to b in the field. I can't expect my crews to tuff it out , its not worth someone becoming ill or dying...
Posted via Mobile Device

Well put. One wrong move and that could mean the end of your business.

juststartin
06-12-2011, 02:00 PM
quit at 3? Really?
Posted via Mobile Device

SVA_Concrete
06-12-2011, 05:57 PM
Curious..... How many of the guys on this board wear long pants and hard hats?

long pants every day here, (for all of the guys) and Hard Hats on 50% of jobs.

FLCthes4:11-12
06-22-2011, 08:14 PM
sometimes you just have to put in the 8 and take it to the house. One of my guys came in yesterday and showed me where he had to have a IV the night before he fell out once he got home. He said he went home and immediately took a cold shower. Thats a big no no his body temp dropped too fast and he fainted. Doc said he was dehydrated but no biggie. It makes me nervous though I'm constantly checking on them as I am in and out of the job most days. We got a nice rain today and the temps 89-90 the rest of the week like spring again.

SoCalLandscapeMgmt
06-22-2011, 11:13 PM
Here in the r e t a r d e d state of California any employer who has employees working outdoors has to have a written Heat Illness Prevention Plan. You should see some of the requirements. We have to have designated people in charge of the water. Designated people who are supposed to make sure that the crew takes the correct number of water breaks. We're supposed to supply shade for the employees (Ez-up or canopy). The law states that the cab of a truck is not shade. If the temp is over a certain threshold we have to provide ice. It's insane..... and all of the dip$hit politicians wonder why business is leaving the state in mass! I'm all for working safe and making sure that my employees stay healthy but at some point you have to stop trying to legislate every aspect of people's lives!