PDA

View Full Version : Kohler Command blown head gasket at 110 hours of use.

Bumpmaster
06-08-2011, 09:45 PM
Looking for some insight. Bought a brand new Toro g3 last fall. Now after 110 hours the head gasket is blown. Good relations with dealer he has given me a loner mower while the repair is being made. I am wondering however is he just putting a band aid on a bad engine, or is he really going to be able to fix the problem. Like is Kohler giving him a different head gasket that will not blow like the original one. Is he going to machine the engine too specific measurements so this will not happen again.

Had a kawasaki engine in my old Toro Z and it lasted 2300 hours with no repairs made. I new when I bought this new mower that Kohler was known to be not as good as the other engines but was in a desperate situation and needed a mower like yesterday. The dealer had this one on the lot ready to go. I figured a mower now would be a lot better than a mower a week from now. So I bought this Kohler 25 horse power. Now I am wondering is this going to be one of the big mistakes I made in my life. Kinda like not taking my money out of the stock market before it crashed. Any thoughts sure would be appreciated.

ALC-GregH
06-08-2011, 10:12 PM
I had the same thing happen to my 25hp. It's been good since the dealer fixed it.

Bumpmaster
06-08-2011, 10:35 PM
I had the same thing happen to my 25hp. It's been good since the dealer fixed it.

Do you think there is any hope of these engines running over 2,500 hours?

topsites
06-08-2011, 10:40 PM
Sometimes things happen with a new engine, you have to have a little faith,
that's what warranties and dealer repair shops are for and they're usually good engines.

Bumpmaster
06-08-2011, 10:42 PM
Just hope that when they open up that engine the new guy dose not decide to start sharpening some blades on the grinder.

SouthSide Cutter
06-08-2011, 10:44 PM

My old Grasshopper has 2700 and still going. I got a 25 now with 200 and some sure hope it goes to 1000, I would jump up and down if it got to 2500.

ProStreetCamaro
06-08-2011, 10:59 PM

I have over 2500 of not so well maintained hours on my 18hp kohler command on our lazer hp you see in my sig. Had 3200 hours on the 18hp kohler magnum on our gravely pro-50 when we sold it and it still ran fine. I actually had to pull the heads on that engine because water got into the cylinders over winter and rusted the rings and bore and the engine was seized. Pulled the heads off and sprayed wd-40 in the bores and let it sit a while. Then took a wooden baseball bat and held it against a piston and hit the other end with a sledge hammer and it broke free. Lightly sanded the bores and put it back together with the old head gaskets and ran it another 2 years. :laugh:

Get Some...
06-08-2011, 11:30 PM
I am happy with my four Kohler command engine's.

tacoma200
06-09-2011, 12:13 AM
More bad Kawasaki threads than Kohler the last year or so. I would be much more concerned if it were a valve train issue.
Posted via Mobile Device

heather lawn sp
06-09-2011, 06:53 AM
I have over 2500 of not so well maintained hours on my 18hp kohler command on our lazer hp you see in my sig. Had 3200 hours on the 18hp kohler magnum on our gravely pro-50 when we sold it and it still ran fine. I actually had to pull the heads on that engine because water got into the cylinders over winter and rusted the rings and bore and the engine was seized. Pulled the heads off and sprayed wd-40 in the bores and let it sit a while. Then took a wooden baseball bat and held it against a piston and hit the other end with a sledge hammer and it broke free. Lightly sanded the bores and put it back together with the old head gaskets and ran it another 2 years. :laugh:

That hurts just reading it

Bumpmaster
06-09-2011, 11:27 PM
Was thinken about posting a Tread, Kohler 23, 245 hours lose of power, But it just had an extra pint of oil.