PDA

View Full Version : How long do I wait to call again.

944own
06-08-2011, 09:52 PM
Long story short this realtor lady had a house for sale and told me to cut it every 2 weeks till it sells. I told her I bill at the end of the month and she said fine it was $40.00 a cut. I cut it 1 time in april and sent a bill for $40.00. She never paid and I cut it 2 times in may and I called her to inquire about the april bill and she said she had just sold the house and to send her a final bill. I sent it out May 30 total $120.00 for 2 cuts in may and 1 in april. Still no check should I wait till around the 15th and call and see if she has sent payment yet. All my other customers are really fast payers so not really sure how long to wait. She still has not paid for April.

FLAhaulboy
06-08-2011, 10:05 PM
Go visit her at the office or call...again.

944own
06-08-2011, 10:07 PM
Go visit her at the office or call...again.

You dont think it would be out of line to go ahead and call again now I dont want to seem pushy and I only mailed the final bill out 9 days ago.

Tofutti
06-08-2011, 10:09 PM
IMHO, Send the final bill again with a reminder note, then call her on the 15th of this month. Do not cut it again until this is resolved. In the meantime, stop by the residence if you are in the area and try to meet/greet the new owners and simply tell them that you were contracted by the realitor to mow the lawn while it was on the market and that you would love to continue with it and see what other services you can provide them with. If they see that it's been a while since mowed, just say that there was some confusion in the communication between the realtor and you the last couple weeks, and you weren't sure if they wanted you to proceed. Don't mention the non-pay issue. You may very well end up with another client and even if the realtor doesn't pay, you could still only end up losing $120, but may gain a year-round service.

944own
06-08-2011, 10:16 PM
IMHO, Send the final bill again with a reminder note, then call her on the 15th of this month. Do not cut it again until this is resolved. In the meantime, stop by the residence if you are in the area and try to meet/greet the new owners and simply tell them that you were contracted by the realitor to mow the lawn while it was on the market and that you would love to continue with it and see what other services you can provide them with. If they see that it's been a while since mowed, just say that there was some confusion in the communication between the realtor and you the last couple weeks, and you weren't sure if they wanted you to proceed. Don't mention the non-pay issue. You may very well end up with another client and even if the realtor doesn't pay, you could still only end up losing $120, but may gain a year-round service.

She told me to quit cutting it after may because it sold so I was not planning on cutting it anymore. She said she would give the new owners my number but I was still planning on stopping by and talking to them. I like the idea of sending the bill again then I will call on the 15th I just dont want to seem pushy because she could be a good person to know if she pays. Realtors always have vacant houses they are trying to sell and need them cut.

Zak's Pro. Lawn Care
06-08-2011, 10:27 PM
if you sent it 9 days ago wait 6 more days. i give customers 15 days and then theres a late fee...they all usually send it within 3 days of receiving. but i would call again on the 15th day...just give it a few more days

Daily Lawn/Landscape
06-08-2011, 10:59 PM
I would be on the phone tomorrow. And the next day, and the next day and the next. She is already past due for the $40, do you really think she is gonna pay you for the other $80.
I would be a thorn in her side until paid in full. If she works for a reality company, go talk with the upper management.Good luck!

James

topsites
06-08-2011, 11:06 PM
Yeah I mean don't cuss her out but you don't want to worry too much about offending her precious feelings
because you need to get paid and she's had plenty time to at least send you the first $40,
so if you want to wait to the 15th, I'd get on this one without too much further reservation.

I would be on the phone tomorrow. And the next day, and the next day and the next. She is already past due for the $40, do you really think she is gonna pay you for the other $80.

Yeah see, that's starting to dawn as a very real possibility, you need to get on her in case of legalities,
in some states you only have 60 to 90 days before your statute of limitations expires but either way,
statistics state that past 90 days your chances of ever collecting drop in half, so get on her.

Dr.NewEarth
06-08-2011, 11:06 PM
For reference at least, I would check out the time frame allowed in your state before
you can no longer apply a builders/mechanics lien on the property. Also check out the cost.

Up here in Canuck Land, if the client hasn't paid by the end of the month and we believe there will not be a payment.... we only have 45 days from the original invoice date to apply a lien.

Some realtors are only used car salesmen in expensive suits!

944own
06-08-2011, 11:11 PM
I think I will give it a day or 2 longer at least maybe I will call her friday if it does not show by then. It is BS that she has not even sent the $40.00 for april.

Tofutti
06-08-2011, 11:15 PM
She told me to quit cutting it after may because it sold so I was not planning on cutting it anymore. She said she would give the new owners my number but I was still planning on stopping by and talking to them. I like the idea of sending the bill again then I will call on the 15th I just dont want to seem pushy because she could be a good person to know if she pays. Realtors always have vacant houses they are trying to sell and need them cut.

I absolutely agree that she is a great person to know because of the potential jobs. (Networking is everything.) However she needs to know that you are not one to be tossed aside. I can't see any flags that may go up in her mind about you trying to get paid for a job done two months ago.. It is June now. Surely as a businessperson she will understand your side. At least by sending another bill with reminder, she can see that you may be conceding to any argument she may have (ie: "I didn't get a bill, lost in the mail, etc") and are trying to work with her, and at the same time, the reminder part shows you're not kidding.

msvold
06-08-2011, 11:42 PM
For reference, my wife is a realtor in Kansas, and many times she will have a property owner who is selling their house, but moves away before it is sold. The owner is still responsible for maintenance of their house, to include gas, electric, water and yes mowing. Point is, although the realtor makes contact and sets up the mowing and many other maintenance items for the property owner, it is the property owner who is responsible to pay the bill on their property. I would certainly call the realtor, many times the property owner will leave a check for the realtor to make payments, many times the realtor forwards the bill and for some maintenance items those will get paid upon the closing (selling) date of the property, before any $ is paid to the original owner. Realtor's represent the owner and getting to know them while being reliable, understanding and reasonable will likely be referrals in the future when the next property owner leaves before the house is sold. My wife has a running list of the reliable plumbers, electricians, painters, landscapers, septic, arborists, ... you get the idea

Dr.NewEarth
06-08-2011, 11:43 PM
For reference at least, I would check out the time frame allowed in your state before
you can no longer apply a builders/mechanics lien on the property. Also check out the cost.

Up here in Canuck Land, if the client hasn't paid by the end of the month and we believe there will not be a payment.... we only have 45 days from the original invoice date to apply a lien.

Some realtors are only used car salesmen in expensive suits!

I am curious, did you have an oral or a written contract with her?

DLCS
06-09-2011, 09:32 AM
I'd be burning her ear up with phoen calls, until I got paid. Around here, realtors are not doing so well and are notorious for trying to stick you. I bet she got the money from the seller, just hasn't gave it to you.

FLAhaulboy
06-09-2011, 09:59 AM
I would be a thorn in her side until paid in full. If she works for a reality company, go talk with the upper management.Good luck!

James

AND charge interest & a late penalty fee!

Dr.NewEarth
06-09-2011, 02:02 PM
Unless it states in a written and signed contract with the client, what the payment terms are including monthly interest and/or late fees, you cannot charge her or any-one extra.

If you don't have a written contract with your clients, you will waste your time trying to go to court or put a lien on their property.

Try to get paid. There are alot of sleaze balls out there!

Here's another thing that happens here. A landscape company gets hired to do an
installation for a big developer. The developer doesn't pay. The landscaper has his money tied up in liens and the cost of the installation materials.

The landscaper hopes to get paid, and can't really repossess two dozen flats of turf that he installed. He hopes that the invoice will be paid in due process.

After a year, the developers Lawyer just has to apply to have the lien removed and legally it can be, even though the fees haven't been paid.

Companies here have gone bankrupt being taken advantage of, even when they have done their due dilligence....there are alot of dishonest business people in the world.

I don't think you'll be getting any referals out of her.

QLM
06-09-2011, 02:17 PM
She closed on the house and got a huge check! Dude you need to stay on her. I only will work for a few agents that I know and have worked for a bunch over the years cuz they are slow in most cases. The agents I work for have checks in the office the next day.
Posted via Mobile Device

944own
06-09-2011, 03:15 PM
Just got home from mowing and was just about to start blowing her up and checked the mailbox and had a check. Just when I had almost given up. The check was for the whole 120 have not cashed it yet though.:clapping:

LHS Lawns
06-09-2011, 04:31 PM
I think realtors are a good source for work but this one isn't if you're having trouble getting paid. If you can ever get the money and want to work for her again a I'd get the payment upfront before I cut one blade.

LHS Lawns
06-09-2011, 04:42 PM
Just got home from mowing and was just about to start blowing her up and checked the mailbox and had a check. Just when I had almost given up. The check was for the whole 120 have not cashed it yet though.:clapping:

Glad you got paid. I'm dealing with one now. Commercial account. Turned the invoice in 2 weeks ago. Saw the contact person a week after the invoice was delivered and she said stop by the office the check is there. Stopped by two days later and she said the checks in the mail. Have waited a week and still no check, haven't checked todays mail if not there by tomorrow I'm calling. Its all local mail so you get it the next day. I cut the contact person's own yard and she'll whip out the check book and pay me on the spot. This person just works there, not the owner. Just started the commercial this year hopefully its just a mix up.

THEGOLDPRO
06-09-2011, 04:48 PM
see it all turns out good in the end lol

944own
06-09-2011, 06:16 PM
Glad you got paid. I'm dealing with one now. Commercial account. Turned the invoice in 2 weeks ago. Saw the contact person a week after the invoice was delivered and she said stop by the office the check is there. Stopped by two days later and she said the checks in the mail. Have waited a week and still no check, haven't checked todays mail if not there by tomorrow I'm calling. Its all local mail so you get it the next day. I cut the contact person's own yard and she'll whip out the check book and pay me on the spot. This person just works there, not the owner. Just started the commercial this year hopefully its just a mix up.

Its probably just a mixup if the contact person is honest and pays you good like you say. I dont think she would jerk you around but who knows now days. Good luck