PDA

View Full Version : walker vs navagator vs grasshopper

grass catcher
06-08-2011, 09:16 PM
looking at getting a new mower next year am impessed with the cut quality I se from walker on yards by my competiters
I am a small lco with 40 accounts all residential current setup
1 jd 717 w/bagger
1 gravely 36 in hydro w/mulch kit
2 recycler toro pro line com
1 toro pro line dedicated bagger
looking to get amower that will float well and not tear up
small yards the jd does well on lg flat areas but does not float well and scalps a lot the walk bhd is 36 in fixed deck
does ok but it is heavy . having prob with rutting walker
sauys they are my answer but price is excessive any ideas

MCFISH
06-08-2011, 10:20 PM
Sounds like a Walker with a 42 inch deck would work nice for you.Being you said you do small yards. If you don't go bigger then a 42 " deck the machines are a lot cheaper. Don't let the competition out shine you get the right equipment and get top dollar for your work. Walker is one of the finest finish mowers out there. You still can used the the JD for larger rough cut work.
I took over a job after another lawn care provider got fired and after the first cut with the Walker the home owner came out and said WOW this is the best this yard has ever looked. I cut the second time on a diagonal, home owner comes out and says I really like it cut that way, the other guys never did that. It's the little things that will separate you from the competition.

Turf Dawg
06-09-2011, 08:12 AM
looking at getting a new mower next year am impessed with the cut quality I se from walker on yards by my competiters
I am a small lco with 40 accounts all residential current setup
1 jd 717 w/bagger
1 gravely 36 in hydro w/mulch kit
2 recycler toro pro line com
1 toro pro line dedicated bagger
looking to get amower that will float well and not tear up
small yards the jd does well on lg flat areas but does not float well and scalps a lot the walk bhd is 36 in fixed deck
does ok but it is heavy . having prob with rutting walker
sauys they are my answer but price is excessive any ideas

You could buy mine and save some of that excessive price :laugh::laugh:

grass catcher
06-10-2011, 10:06 PM
mc fish the pic of your boat makes yard work low priority
time for fishing

MCFISH
06-10-2011, 10:23 PM
mc fish the pic of your boat makes yard work low priority
time for fishing

That's my winter job, I'm the Captain of that boat for the sailfish season in Florida. Hey somebody has to do it.

grass catcher
06-10-2011, 10:32 PM
I love sail fishin my hand sails into the ice chest and catches an ice
beer lol

MCFISH
06-10-2011, 10:50 PM
I love sail fishin my hand sails into the ice chest and catches an ice
beer lol

Not to Hi jack this thread Grass Catcher, but it sounds like you have the makings of a man that could makes his living off the sea, but most of us drink Rum LOL. Chears:drinkup:

TuffWork
06-10-2011, 11:16 PM
I have a walker 36. It cuts great and fits in almost all gates. It does scalp occasionally when going up a bump, however.

Here's the scoop on Walker vs. Navigator. Walker is lighter and easier to handle, but not near as efficient on wide open areas. Navigator has WAY better suction, but it is about 200lbs heavier and can cause ruts.

If you do mostly residential I would go with Walker. IMO buying used isn't a bad idea either if you can find one. They are expensive but not near as bad when you let someone else take the depreciation hicky.

TheUfan
08-18-2011, 04:15 PM
I have a walker 42" for sale on here that would suit your needs and be about half the price of a new one. Let me know, I'm not that far from you.

Ericfischer100
08-18-2011, 06:56 PM
I switched to a walker after 1.5 years of starting my business. Mostly residential. The cut was "way" better and the customers did notice.
I started with an old 1998 Walker Mower then upgraded to a brand new one about 6 months later. The only bad thing I can say is that the deck is a little to light weight in that you can bend the sides easily, where as I'm pretty sure the Navagator would be a tank.... If you are doing everything yourself, without the careless employees it may not be a concern, my guy kept bending mine!!! UGGG

fireman gus
08-18-2011, 09:22 PM
Are you wanting new or used? Walker is a very nice machine and if you can find a used one reasonable it would pay to look at it. Turf Dawg had a 48" one for sale a while back.