PDA

View Full Version : Lesco's mower sale

MacLawnCo
10-15-2002, 07:04 PM
If you have not been to Lesco lately, I went to one of their locations today and while i was waiting, I saw they had 48" 17 kaw E/S hydros for $3399!! Their other mowers were also on sale, but i dont remember for sure prices.

Just to give lesco some due props, they were VERY helpful.

65hoss
10-15-2002, 07:54 PM
When I was at Lesco today they have a 60" Z for under $6000. I forgot the exact number, but it was very low.

Turf Technologies
10-15-2002, 07:59 PM
Maclawnco , whats does E/S mean for the Lesco WB?

longviewlawncare
10-15-2002, 08:06 PM
e/s stands for electric start.

MacLawnCo
10-15-2002, 09:31 PM
Yep, the 60" 25 kaw is $5999 i believe. Dont remember for sure since Im set on a DC or eXmark.

TJLC
10-16-2002, 12:13 AM
I have demoed the Lesco 48" e/s 17 Kawi. IMHO it would be a good backup machine. I chose to buy another Exmark, a TTHP 48" 17 Kawi e/s instead. Happy with it so far. I admit the Lesco price did catch my eye but there were a few areas where Exmark had them beat ,so I passed. This is not to say the Lesco unit is not a good product. I have been all Exmark from the beginning so it would take alot to switch me over.

longviewlawncare
10-16-2002, 02:23 PM
i just bought my lesco cause i just neesed a new walkbehind to finish out the year with. I wanted an exmark but could not see spending alomst 2k more for just this small amoutn of time. Now i have decided that next spring the lesco will be my new backup or second mower when i get my exmark. I was surprised at how good of a cut it gives.

brentsawyer
10-16-2002, 02:44 PM
ever since I bought that same mower in 1999, the price has been steadily declining and has been about that much all year. Let me tell you what mine is currenly doing, sitting in the back and not working. I have gone through one deck, numerous problems with the pumps, now it won't start and have realized the best use for it now is to fix it up and sell it. Now I know that it is a 99 unit, but unless they have somehow managed to improve the entire mower a whole lot and cut the price by $600 at the same time since, I would pass.

Oh yeah, other Lesco mower of mine is long gone and the best day I had with it was selling it.

Gravely_Man
10-16-2002, 04:06 PM
I have seen these mowers to. I would only say how can they be great machines and be that cheap?

Gravely_Man

TurfGuyTX
10-16-2002, 06:00 PM
They are doing their current promotion to get their name out there more. They sell more, we see more, the cycle continues. They won't be on sale for much longer from what I'm told. Those new Z2's seem like good machines.

rcav8er
10-24-2002, 07:07 PM
I just looked at a 23 hp 54" Lesco Z2 today and it really looks good. I've compared it to the Toro 52" and it's got Toro beat hands down. Much heavier frame and just generally built better.
I haven't been able to find anouther Z mower out there with this much to offer for $ 5700. The Bobcat looks good also but the frames are not as solid. This will be my first ZTR and it looks like I'm going to go with the Lesco Z2.:p

Premo Services
10-24-2002, 10:46 PM
Originally posted by rcav8er
This will be my first ZTR and it looks like I'm going to go with the Lesco Z2.:p

Good luck with the purchase!!!!!!!
Let us know how it works out for you

quikag
12-08-2002, 06:38 PM
Just bought a lesco z two and I love it. After using it this past week, I went and demoed an exmark lazer 60" with a 26 kohler and I actually liked the lesco better. Plus a 3K savings....

SCAPEASAURUSREX
12-08-2002, 06:48 PM
I have a 48" Lesco Belt drive walk behind and it's a 96 I believe and have never had any major issues to deal with , just as reliable as a scag, very similar in fact too...

LAWNGODFATHER
12-08-2002, 09:05 PM
My oldest Lesco is a '94 36" belt drive.

My newest is a '99 hydro 48"/52" wb

No body likes to run them.

Turf Technologies
12-09-2002, 12:00 AM
A month ago I got the 19hr/52 for a $100 more, its a gas hog though. I love the machine.

yourlawnguy
12-09-2002, 02:08 AM
I've looked at the Lesco mowers here and decided not to buy one. The price was good and they looked like a fairly well made machine but then I asked about service, I was told that they didn't actually service them on site they send them out and can "usually" have them back in 2 days. They do not not offer a loner or even a rental. I don't see why any contractor would buy one. At least not from this dealer.

Rhett
12-09-2002, 09:54 AM
Last week bought a Lesco 52 inch ES belt demo model with 8.5 hrs on a 17 Kawasaki for $669 or $719 out the door with taxes. It is almost in new condition, just required a new battery and clean out the carb. Couldn't pass up the price. Now I just need some properties big enough to put it on.:)

geogunn
12-09-2002, 10:07 AM
I can't believe all this talk about lesco machines being good for backup mowers. these units are solid first line mowers!

I don't own the hydro model being discussed but with the difference in price between it and a exmark, I would!

I have complained about blow out while mulching with my lesco 48 belt before but I saw a guy friday that was blowing as much out with his exmark as my lesco ever did!

GEO

Turf Technologies
12-09-2002, 10:48 AM
Geogun, you must be talking about the Viper then. I know the feeling, grass and dirt all down your shorts in your hair, covered in dirt. Mainly when its dry and dusty(drought years).Otherwise its not so bad.Even the Wb was bad for it in the drought.

geogunn
12-09-2002, 01:28 PM
Originally posted by sackedbysapp
Geogun, you must be talking about the Viper....

nope. it was the turf tracer or the metro.

obviously I need to check out the TT or METRO before I am too critical of my lescos mulching capability.

GEO

McKeeLand
12-09-2002, 02:22 PM
I've owned a 48" belt drive Lesco WB since 94', its the oldest machine I have, and the major repairs on it where things that lesco didn't build. the kaw. engine, the peerless trans. and these where just worn out. As for the deck that thing is built like a tank.
I'm definitely thinking of picking up a new 48" hydro for spring with those prices. It's my theory that Lesco can offer those prices simple because they are a direct distibutor for the manufacfure, which is Lesco. they simple cut out the middleman.

geogunn
12-09-2002, 03:18 PM
Originally posted by Gravely_Man
I have seen these mowers to. I would only say how can they be great machines and be that cheap?

and as you gravley_man, sir, I have questioned prices but mostly other units including gravley.

in my area gravley is very popular I think because they are good mowers and the dealer is dedicated to good service.

I think however the lesco belt unit can out perform the gravley belt in wet conditions.

as for hydro costs I know the gravley is a hoss but the lesco is built solid too.

I personally believe that the lesco unit we are discussing here is worth a looksie.

if that unit came W/O electric start I'd prefer it as long as it starts like my KAW 14 because it's cheaper, no battery and those starters are expensive to replace.

GEO

Turf Technologies
12-09-2002, 03:27 PM
Mckeeland , better act now form .What im told Dec.31 is the last day of the sale.I could be wrong. But why not go with the 19/52 for 100$ more?Cant beat the ext 2hrs and the extra 4 inches

MacLawnCo
12-09-2002, 03:29 PM
Originally posted by sackedbysapp
But why not go with the 19/52 for 100$ more?Cant beat the ext 2hrs and the extra 4 inches

Plus the 19 has more torque.

McKeeLand
12-09-2002, 03:37 PM
thanks sackedbysapp. my lesco dealer didn't know when the prices would change. i guess i better move if i want those prices and actually i was considering the 52 also, just not right now though.

wriken
12-09-2002, 08:34 PM
The sale everybodys talking about has been going on for probably 6-7 months at the lesco I shop at in Mich. Maybe it might end 12/31/02, but they probably will sell them next year at the same price, maybe not right at spring time though.

iamthelawnman
12-09-2002, 10:16 PM
Hello guys, anyone that can buy one now should..... they are the best mower out their for the money i have a 1995 48" wb and a 2001 viper. they are great and cheap, like you said before their mower is made very strong and the kaw. is unstoppable!!! my brother Sack bye sapp just pick up a 52" and he loves it the blade speed is a little slower then the vipers but is better, it is easeier to use on more lawns then the viper. just my 2 cents.

"Keep the rains comeing "
Born to Mow.

Turf Technologies
12-10-2002, 01:01 AM
The no payments and no intrest until spring might end soon. That makes it worth getting now.

rodfather
12-10-2002, 12:39 PM
Originally posted by Rhett
Last week bought a Lesco 52 inch ES belt demo model with 8.5 hrs on a 17 Kawasaki for $669 or $719 out the door with taxes. It is almost in new condition, just required a new battery and clean out the carb. Couldn't pass up the price. Now I just need some properties big enough to put it on.:)

How in the world can they sell it for that low a price:dizzy: :dizzy: :dizzy: The engine alone is worth that much or more.

Got me swingin'

Rhett
12-10-2002, 05:27 PM
Hey Rodfather, Have no idea. Missed a 48 earlier on in the season that was 7 something. Have yet to mow anything with it but am looking forward to it. Would gladly email a copy of the reciept to a non believer.:D Usually I am the slep rock that pays ten dollars more for anything than everyone else.

rodfather
12-11-2002, 09:14 AM
Rhett, I believe yoiu. I just don't see how they can do it:dizzy: :dizzy: :dizzy: for tht low of a price???

McKeeLand
12-14-2002, 02:24 PM
Update on the mower prices. talked to my lesco guy yesterday. he said the price is going up at the end of the month, but only by $200 per each machine. so no reason to run out mow and buy one. might as wait until spring rather than put out $3500 now and watch ur mower just sit there.

Grass Master
12-18-2002, 10:30 PM
Lesco mowers are built by MTD. They are homeowner quality. That is why the price is so low.

If you want a good value and a good price try the new riders from Great Dane.

They are awesome!!

wriken
12-18-2002, 10:44 PM
MTD builds both the Lesco Z2, and the Cub (The Tank), their far from being home owner quality. Just a thought, maybe the other manufactors are selling their stuff for to much, just a thought:)

PaulJ
12-19-2002, 12:38 AM
What I waas told by the Lesco salesman was Actually Lescos are built by lesco. In the same factory as the MTD Commercial mowers and The Cub commercial. They are almost identical machines exept for a few componants. Definatly commercial grade. It's not the same as the MTd at Wal-Mart.

Lesco might be using the mowers as a Loss leader with very small markup just to get customers in. Then they make the $$ on there other products.

This is a classic retail stradigy

Grass Master
12-19-2002, 07:41 AM
Do you believe everything that salesmen tell you? If you do I have a great bridge for sale!

The Lesco unit is built in the same factory as the MTD Pro/ Cub unit. The units are sub par as far as the competition is concerned. MTD has no business being in the commercial mower business.

My local dealer told me that he is very hesitant to sell the Cub units to commercial scapers. He sells them to homeowners. (Still has some problems!)

When there is $1500 to $2500 difference in price between MTD and Scag/ExMark/Great Dane units something is wrong....

Wake up...you DO get what you pay for!!!

PaulJ
12-19-2002, 11:18 AM
Echo
'one question for you

How many hours have you loged on a Lesco or Cub commercial or MTD commercial mower???

When you have about 1000 hours running these machines then tell us what you think of them.

I didn't say they are top line commercial but they are definatly WAY above the junk sold at the discount store down the street.
no comparison.

I was sceptical when I heard that MTd was related to the Lesco but Seeing and operating these mowers has proven that there are two sides to that Company. The discount store junk and the built tuff commercial duty side.

I've had two Lescos so far 500 hrs each. Not the best mower. I'm not sure if I will buy another one But for the prices they are about the biggest bang for the Buck out there.

I think their are several others on this bourd that will agree.

And yes I have run other brands of mowers as well.

Dont want to start a fight but I have to defend my money maker.

Grass Master
12-19-2002, 12:23 PM
500 hours each???? Wait till you get up over 1000 to 1500 hours.

This is when the true test of a well built machine begins.

500 hours is break in time....The dealer in my area sells demo units with almost that much time on them.

Try Great Dane, ExMark or Scag...BIG differences!!

PS. Great Dane has some Great values as well

wriken
12-19-2002, 05:15 PM
I have over 400 hours on my cub, no problems yet. They have the same pumps/motors etc as the other brand mowers, the deck is in my opinion the main diff. in mowers, mines 7 and 10 guage just like the rest, matter of fact we discussed this on the other forum, some very popular model have MTD built pumps/motors on them, I'm pretty sure mine will give me 1000-1500 hours. Exmark and choppers and I would say all the other mowers in my mind are good, to each their own. I don't bash other machines, especially when I don't run or even own them.

wriken
12-19-2002, 05:28 PM
I forgot to mention, after 1000-1500 hours whats going to go bad, The Kaw or Kohler motor, or Hydro-gear motors/pumps or the peerless tran, goodyear tires etc. Funny but about all the manufactors use these very same componates, so if they fail on my cub they will fail on the scags and exmarks?? And if you say the frames will break, there as strong as the next mowers. I also defend my cub, but thats not my limit, I'm interested in other brands of mowers, who knows, I might buy a differant brand next time. Thats right I own a Hustler also, and thats my back-up mower.