PDA

View Full Version : limbing trees

grassmasterswilson
06-09-2011, 07:30 AM
I have some type of oak at my house that needs to be limbed since it has growth up and down the trunk of the tree. Is there anything I can do or spray on the wounds after I cut to seal them and prevent new growth?

FLAhaulboy
06-09-2011, 09:27 AM
Pruning sealer...http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1v/R-100352315/h_d2/ProductDisplay?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053

Darryl G
06-09-2011, 09:31 AM
No. It sounds like you're talking about suckers. It happens. Most tree professionals these days do not recommend dressing cuts.

Smallaxe
06-09-2011, 10:59 AM
Not sure if your southern oaks are the same as our oaks, but we don't cut anything between April and August, in fact what till after killing frosts up here, because of disease problems...

White Gardens
06-09-2011, 11:39 AM
Not sure if your southern oaks are the same as our oaks, but we don't cut anything between April and August, in fact what till after killing frosts up here, because of disease problems...

Ditto.....

rlitman
06-09-2011, 03:04 PM

Yup. Just one spore of the right fungus lands in that wound, and your tree is dead in a few years.
Pruning sealers are no longer recommended. They can make wounds worse. . .

grassmasterswilson
06-09-2011, 05:54 PM
Its not suckers. The tree has limbe from top to about 10 feet from the ground. I just want to clean it up a little at the bottom 20-25 feet. Sounds like I should wait until winter to avoid fungal issues.

Dr.NewEarth
06-10-2011, 01:17 AM
If you prune when it isn't raining or windy, why would you have a problem?
The pruning cut will heal. Search: CODIT

We don't use those pruning paint things any-more. Not a recommended practice.
They can hold bacteria between the paint and the tree wound and have been proven
to cause problems.

Just prune using proper arboricultural methods.

Go to: ISA and also search Dr. Alex Shigo.

ochosdaddy
06-10-2011, 01:42 AM
Correct, don't use pruning sealer. Best to just allow the tree to wound over naturally. More importanly, know how to make a correct pruning cut right after the BBR (branch bark ridge). Nurseries still like to sell sealer only because people still like to buy it. Just like root stimulator and the new fancy mycorrhizae crap.

Century Landscape
06-16-2011, 02:41 AM
Ditto on the pruning sealer, definitely not recommended. It's always a best practice to trim trees when dormant in the winter.

FLAhaulboy
06-16-2011, 06:55 PM
I did a big limb job today, pruning low hanging oak limbs etc. We don't have much of a dormant season here in the south, So we cut limbs whenever except for when a winter freeze is about to hit the area. I have another huge limbing job to do Friday.

Kombi 130 w/chainsaw attachment, (2) extensions, is what I use.