PDA

View Full Version : wide area mowers

doyles
06-09-2011, 07:49 AM
i mow alot of baseball and football fields and was thinking of buying a wide area mower probale a 10 or 11 foot cut like a john deere 1600 turbo or a kobota 6010
i was wondering if any of you run these and what could i expect for fuel usage
thank you

LawnCareNoobie
06-09-2011, 07:09 PM
i mow alot of baseball and football fields and was thinking of buying a wide area mower probale a 10 or 11 foot cut like a john deere 1600 turbo or a kobota 6010
i was wondering if any of you run these and what could i expect for fuel usage
thank you

Ever thought about Jacobson as well? The HR-5111 seems to be a popular choice at schools/colleges etc. I work on college grounds and we have one, pretty good mower with minimal problems. It has a cab though and it gets pretty hot in the summer. Fuel usage is decent, you can pretty much do an 8 hour day with a full tank. Not sure how many gallons that is.

Tall Rider
06-09-2011, 08:49 PM
Dont care for the cut at all on the 1600 Deere. Much more prefer the Toro 4000 11' WAM

Penncare
06-09-2011, 11:34 PM
Give the Lastec 4520 a look. Don't have one but the machine seems like it wood drive and feel more like a traditional ztr and the articulating deck is appealing as well.

Snyder's Lawn Inc
06-10-2011, 12:20 AM
I do a lot soccer and football fields and
I run 72'' dixie chopper
I do have a 15 wide batwing mower but its to heavy for fields like that
Once started buy 72'' dont use it much any more
To much rain to soft

scagdude
06-10-2011, 01:40 AM
We have a bunch of baseball and soccer fields and we just actually like ztrs. We have found they leave a better cut, cost less to operate, and get better gas. Granted, they have a smaller deck, but you honestly can't tell much of a difference when you are going from one baseball field to another. If you are going to go with a bigger mower, i recommend the toro mentioned above. That's the one we have and we love it. It's not the best on gas but does a great job. So, when we do a big complex, we have the toro 4000, and 2 72" ztrs going.

White Gardens
06-10-2011, 02:51 AM
I do a lot soccer and football fields and
I run 72'' dixie chopper
I do have a 15 wide batwing mower but its to heavy for fields like that
Once started buy 72'' dont use it much any more
To much rain to soft

Ever seen the DC promotional video that shows a guy on a 72" mowing a football field in 15 minutes?

doyles
06-10-2011, 07:40 AM
thanks all of you for your feedback mabey the wam whoudent be a great choice because in the spring when it is raining all the time it might sink or tear the fields up

Tofutti
06-10-2011, 07:59 PM
thanks all of you for your feedback mabey the wam whoudent be a great choice because in the spring when it is raining all the time it might sink or tear the fields up

Here in the Northeast, as you well know, when things are wet, they ARE WET.
That said, honestly probably a 72" ZTR is still going to mud it up, or at least brown-stripe it. It seems to be, however, the lessor of the two evils. Unless you have lots and lots of ballfields to do, and the little bit of extra/field time will kill you, it's probably going to give the best accessibility and least damage.

MAK61
08-12-2011, 12:57 PM
Don't know if you're still in the market for a large mower - but I currently have a Jacobsen AR 2500 for sale just outside of Manlius. Just dropped the price from $11,500 to $6,450. Can email pics and information or give you a call. It has a 96" cut and mows about 7 acres per hour. Runs like a top and in excellent condition. Thanks, Mark. 315 575-1541.

NIXRAY
08-12-2011, 01:34 PM
Ive used a Exmark 72" Z and a pull mower, make a double trim lap with just the mower (Or have a second guy doing this on another unit) then mow away..I like this set up because its versatile