PDA

View Full Version : scag cheetah

hawkeye
06-09-2011, 08:40 AM
I got to run a brand new cheetah around a dealers parking lot and boy is that thing fast. My question is this- the hydros seemed to have an extra loud whine compared to a smaller toro that i rode is this normal and another quick question is how in the heck do you change the blades on this thing? I was told that you take the nut off the top of the deck instead of the bottom and that is fine but the two gas tanks seem to not give you enough room to get an impact wrench on them it looks like you have to use a socket instead, any input?

tuffram
06-09-2011, 10:06 AM
The blades unbolt from the bottom. See the illustration on page 39. Hold the nut on the top and loosen the bolt from the bottom with your impact etc.

http://www.scag.com/OpManuals/SCZ/2011SCZOPMAN/SCZ_Book_03271_Rev%202.pdf

MOHUSTLER
06-09-2011, 10:09 AM
Put a wrench on the top side and impact from the bottom. I have not noticed any extra pump whine from other modles.

TheOctagon
06-09-2011, 11:52 AM
I believe the "pump whine" you are talking about is the gear noise in the transaxle. They sound like a tractor taking off in road gear. Its not actually hydraulic whine but the sound the gears make.

ALC-GregH
06-09-2011, 12:12 PM
The blades unbolt from the bottom. See the illustration on page 39. Hold the nut on the top and loosen the bolt from the bottom with your impact etc.

http://www.scag.com/OpManuals/SCZ/2011SCZOPMAN/SCZ_Book_03271_Rev%202.pdf

Put a wrench on the top side and impact from the bottom. I have not noticed any extra pump whine from other modles.

It's always best to try and use a impact gun on the nut side rather then the bolt side. Long bolts like these used on the blades can absorb the impact and make it harder to remove.

I just hit the nut quick with my air gun and the blades and bolts just drop to the floor. I only have to reach under the deck to install them. :)

hawkeye
06-09-2011, 12:29 PM
I know that works but problem is scag doesn't seem to have enough room on top of the deck to get a gun under those tanks!

ALC-GregH
06-09-2011, 01:27 PM
I see what you mean. Maybe a 15/16-1/2 drive swivel impact socket might fit? Looks like it would work if the deck is all the way down.

weeze
06-09-2011, 10:04 PM
you have to hold both bolts at once?...that sounds like a pain...i don't have an impact wrench...all i use is a socket on my mowers.

ProStreetCamaro
06-09-2011, 10:14 PM
Holy cow scag went back to the through bolt setup? God I have not seen that setup in YEARS! That is a huge turn off for me.

tacoma200
06-09-2011, 10:23 PM
On the Turf Tigers you just hit the top nut with an impact wrench and the bolts fall out. To tighten just hit the nuts on top with the impact wrench, no need to hold the bolt from below. U can have all 3 off in a minute. Deck must be elevated enough to allow the bolt to drop. I haven't looked that close at the Cheetah.
Posted via Mobile Device

SouthSide Cutter
06-09-2011, 10:33 PM
Holy cow scag went back to the through bolt setup? God I have not seen that setup in YEARS! That is a huge turn off for me.

I dont know what the turn off is cause I can change the blades with a 18 volt impact and no other wrench in less than 2 min. Best set up I have seen.

ProStreetCamaro
06-09-2011, 10:54 PM
On the Turf Tigers you just hit the top nut with an impact wrench and the bolts fall out. To tighten just hit the nuts on top with the impact wrench, no need to hold the bolt from below. U can have all 3 off in a minute. Deck must be elevated enough to allow the bolt to drop. I haven't looked that close at the Cheetah.
Posted via Mobile Device

I never knew scag still used that design. I am so used to the exmark and gravely that both have a short bolt that threads into the spindle. I just impact them off never having to touch anything then thread them in a couple turns to get them started and impact them on. I thought the old through bolt had been done away with years ago. Learn something new every day! :drinkup:

SouthSide Cutter
06-09-2011, 11:16 PM
I just put it on th Mo Jack reach under and grab the bolt and blade hit the nut on top with the impact and it all comes out in my hand. I dont have to look under the mower to change blades. My BobCat had to be jacked higher than my Scags to get a impact under it.