PDA

View Full Version : need advice about customer!

stephen424
06-09-2011, 09:00 AM
long story short...

last month customer complained that i was cutting his fescue lawn too high and wanted me to "bring the height down until the summer, because the yard is looking rough after 2-3 days". i was cutting his lawn @ 4.25"

the last three or so weeks here in charlotte, it's been 95 plus, so i took the cutting height back up to 4.25"...from 3.5"

so i get an annoyed text message from the customer telling me to take the cutting height back down because the yard looks rough after 3 days and he will just water the lawn every day or every other day.

my thing is: if he's going to water it everyday, the grass is gonna grow faster and it's still going to look rough after 3 days, no matter the cutting height.

am i wrong?

what should i do because this is getting silly with the back n forth

DIXIECONTRACTING
06-09-2011, 09:57 AM
Drop your deck to please the customer let the grass burn out and maybe the customer will see it your way leave it up to the professional.

Runner
06-09-2011, 10:03 AM
If he's going to water it, drop the height. The grass will probably look even better. Fescue does not like to be cut that high as what you are cutting it. It causes it to lay over and creates heat from poor air circulation.

All_Toro_4ME
06-09-2011, 10:16 AM
Yea, if he's watering, drop your deck. Depending on how much he waters, you can cut fescue 3-3.5'' with no problems.

Classic Cuts Lawn Service
06-09-2011, 12:43 PM
Even when the customer is wrong...they are right...its the way the business works

ALC-GregH
06-09-2011, 01:17 PM
At 4.25in I'm about ready to cut the lawn. You need to lower the cutting height per customers request. If he waters the lawn, it will grow and stay green at 3in.

topsites
06-09-2011, 03:39 PM
What I normally do when a customer requests something that is not what I think best for the lawn is I inform the customer
of my opinion in the matter, I explain why I am doing what I am doing and then I let them know that I am willing to proceed
as per their request but that we would be proceeding against either my plan or my better recommendation.

Get Some...
06-09-2011, 03:50 PM
Do you sign the front of the check or the back of the check?

He who sign's the front should get the service that he request's....

topsites
06-09-2011, 03:51 PM
Even when the customer is wrong...they are right...its the way the business works

Exactly.

That is why in my response I said WE would be proceeding.
Ultimately you have to know what you are doing because doing that puts the customer in control,
but I think if you're being truthful about having 6-10 years in the business this should work well for you,
it's not the kind of thing you want to try and bestow down upon if you're the new kid on the block,
but an experienced operator should have no problem with that, it has worked well for me in my later years.

It would help if you put it in your own words.
Matter of fact it might not work if you don't, so put it in your own words.

Once again:
Sir / ma'am, I am glad you pointed this out however the reason I went against your specific instructions was because of the high
temperatures and the lack of rain I felt there was a good chance of burning the lawn, we're basically smack in the middle of
summer and it's not going to let up anytime soon with the heat, and it is my best recommendation we cut on the high side...
But, if you still wanted me to mow at 3.5 then I will do it, just might not be what I think is best but as a customer you're the boss,
please let me know which way you'd like me to mow, thank you for your time and have a nice day.

Like that, you have to put it in your own words but pretty much,
you tell them why it went the way it did, ask them what they want you to do and so on.

THEGOLDPRO
06-09-2011, 03:53 PM
just drop the height and be done with it.

abraham
06-18-2011, 12:27 AM
ask the customer what they do for a living, and if they would feel comfortable if i would tell them how to do their job.

MOturkey
06-18-2011, 08:57 AM
Over 4 inches is pretty high. We normally cut at 3 1/2, but will go as low as 3 in some cases, or if the customer says something. The "experts" from the Univerisity of Missouri Extension Service recommend no lower than 3 for fescue, and recommend 3 1/2 for later in the season.

I dropped a customer last month because he wanted his cut down to the dirt. Well, that wasn't the only reason, but it was a contributing factor. I'll go along with any request, as long as it is reasonable, and I'd think cutting at 3 to 3 1/2 inches would be reasonable. What I enjoy is having a neighbor cut their lawn down to about 2 inches next to one we mow. Ours may look a little more ragged at the end of a week in the spring, but will look 100% better come July.

One other thing, there was an excellent thread on here a few days ago in which Topsites and others were discussing proper lawn irrigation and the fact that you should never water every day, etc., and that the duration of watering was much more important than frequency. Might read that before you talk to the customer again.

desert rose gardening
06-18-2011, 10:18 AM
Cut it at what you think it should be cut at, and tell him that you are cutting it at what he wants it to be cut at. I have to do this once in a while. They want to have control sometimes. I'll say "I lowered it" and they will think you did, but I really didn't because I know what is best for the lawn.

Agape
06-18-2011, 11:14 AM
Cut it at what you think it should be cut at, and tell him that you are cutting it at what he wants it to be cut at. I have to do this once in a while. They want to have control sometimes. I'll say "I lowered it" and they will think you did, but I really didn't because I know what is best for the lawn.

THAT"S FUUUUNNNY!!!!! I've done that. mowed it on my regular setting and told them; " I usually mow it on a 5 setting but I went ahead and dropped it to a 4 ( I always mow on a 4) and I gotta admit, it looks a lot better like that I'll mow it on a 4 from now on!":cool2:

Aaronnc
06-18-2011, 10:51 PM
Once you've explained to the client why it is harmful to drop the cut, your only other choice is to drop it. Or else drop the client, before they drop you. They'll find and pay someone else who WILL drop the cut, and both of them will be happy.