PDA

View Full Version : bagging grass

bulhead19
06-09-2011, 01:13 PM
What do you guys charge for bagging grass and hauling it away? For instance, you charge 40 bucks to mow a yard and say its a 1/4 acre. How much extra do you charge for bagging it? Thanks for the input

ALC-GregH
06-09-2011, 01:22 PM
I triple the price. They usually say to just mow it.

Dr.NewEarth
06-09-2011, 01:27 PM
Around here, I have never heard of charging extra for bagging. It's just part of the cost of the service call.

If it is a first cut, this late in the season and there was alot to haul away I might add extra to the overall weekly cost. But this cost would have been estimated and agreed to by the property owner before the contract was signed.

A metric tonne of waste here costs $75 plus 12%, tax plus time to load and unload your truck or trailer and also, add your drive time to and from the dump.

The cost can be absorbed into the weekly cost of cutting if you have to bag.
Some weeks you won't have to bag and you can mulch.
Spread the cost out over the entire season.

topsites
06-09-2011, 05:02 PM
You have to decide...

With the number of Lco's who flat out REFUSE to bag grass (you can include me) I would be
half willing to bet there's a HUGE market of customers who would love to have you bag their grass,
so basically you'd pretty much have an entire corner of the market all to yourself.

But there is a catch...
You can only charge maybe (yes maybe) $5 extra for it.

So there you have it, the cons and pros of bagging:
Pros: You can have customers left and right.
Cons: You will be working for your money.

93Chevy
06-09-2011, 07:05 PM
Charge depending on how easy it is for you to bag.

If you like to bag and don't care, then don't charge anything to bag.

If you hate bagging or have machines that make bagging difficult, then charge an arm and a leg.

Some guys charge more to bag, and other guys don't charge more to bag, but they charge more because they bag...if that makes sense.

STIHL GUY
06-09-2011, 07:43 PM
if its someone who specifically wants it bagged ill charge extra but if it is just a regular account that grew fast after a lot of rain and needs to bag i just do it for the same price

sgrenier24
06-09-2011, 08:13 PM
I bag all my lawns and the only ones I charge extra are the yards that have nowhere to dump the bags. I figure it into the quote for the client when I first price the property. I don't tell them there is an extra charge if there is nowhere to dump.
Posted via Mobile Device

mowerbrad
06-09-2011, 09:11 PM
I bag most of my lawns, I figure the cost right into the price of weekly mowing. Usually its, maybe, an extra $5. Really depends on how large the lawn is. Some yards don't get charged extra because it is just plain easier to bag than discharge/mulch.

I have actually got new customers because I am willing to bag and won't charge an arm and a leg to do it.

ProStreetCamaro
06-09-2011, 09:27 PM
For those that bag what do you guys do with all the clippings? If I bagged everything every day I would have to put side racks on the bed of the truck in order to hold all the grass. Then at the end of the day I would have to go sit in line at the dump then pay at least $50 to dump the load. Makes it completely not worth bagging hence why very very few guys bag around here. Plus our local government push's side discharge and mulching on people saying it is better for the lawn (returns nutrients to the soil) and better for the environment.

gravelyman50
06-09-2011, 09:34 PM
I know of a company around here that bags everything, i have 2 subdivision lots next to his and one time we both pulled up at the same time and i did both of my accounts before he was even done mowing. The lawns i was doing were $35.00 a piece.. I was thinking, man, i hope hes getting at least $75.00 for that lawn. which we all know isnt possible in our industry.

I would be out of business in a month if i started bagging every account starting tomarrow. i would be paying double labor, double gas, and having a double headache.

topsites
06-09-2011, 11:04 PM
Keep in mind if your trailer has a wooden floor you can't leave grass piled up
inside your trailer for too long because it gets to fermenting and with the humidity
it won't be long before fungus starts to rot away the wood.

XLS
06-09-2011, 11:47 PM
we run walker mower snad bag everything in need and we get $5.00 to $10.00 per dump extra and the mowers run at X miles per hour and we feel when the grass is slow growing or we dont bag it is a headache because then they are stuck at 7 mph and they lose money from the sell of the grass.

The grass will ferment and mold but i can say we havent ever replaced a floor becasue of rot , not saying it dont stink like.......well anyway i know it rust metal nicely though

and also you would think its impossible to make an extra 30.00 but its not uncommon at all for the haul off part to cost more then the mow and go and we dont pay a dime on disposals . you guys need to find a farmer for the grass and sell it to them we get 5.00 a dump reguardless of the actual dumps delivered so in fact on our grass we get paid to bag it and get paid to dispose it .

Bumpmaster
06-09-2011, 11:49 PM
inside your trailer for too long because it gets to fermenting and with the humidity

Do not worry Travis, we got Zoresko!

ALC-GregH
06-10-2011, 09:52 AM

just how long will it take? I can't imagine pressure treated lumber rotting away after a few days of some grass laying on it. I'd bet the grass could lay on the trailer for a good year before it would start to rot the wood.

elitelawnteam1
06-10-2011, 09:58 AM
When I bid on clean-up projects I work disposal into the price. For $17 I get 3 yards of waste dumped off. And I go to a REAL compost facility

flatlander42
06-10-2011, 10:01 AM

Well, that must take more than 5 years then.