PDA

View Full Version : ferris 5000z/ green ind. exp.

xxwd5000
10-15-2002, 07:17 PM
what can you guys tell me about the ferris mowers ? just got a new pro magizine and say the new 5000z. has anyone out there ran one yet ? i talked to the closest dealer to me and he has two in stock. price wise it is very compairable to the dixie i am running now. it's got to ride better the dixie can really test your back out. also whats the scoop on the green industry exp. that is in nashville on the 14-16 of november ?

Cut 2 Please
10-15-2002, 08:24 PM
The 5000IS is incredible strong and has a great ride. The suspension helps the way it sticks to hills. I like it alot. I have used one several times. It's draw backs are its weight and it only come with a 72" deck. I wish they could put it on a diet and offer it with a 61" deck.

65hoss
10-15-2002, 08:26 PM
The sound of that Cat diesel is pure music!:angel:

Envy Lawn Service
10-16-2002, 12:24 AM
The IS 1000 looks good to me. Now I just got to find one to demo. Anyone run these?

rodfather
10-16-2002, 07:00 AM
I ran one for (IS5000 Z) for a couple of days. The thing is a tank. It does hold hills better than I accepted. I'm told it is because of the full independent suspension. And it sure purrs nicely with that Cat motor.

16K for a mower is a lot of money though. And I am waiting to see what kind of vac system they are going to come up with for it. That thing will top 2K lbs. I bet with one...and that will be without any leaves or grass in it.

HOMER
10-16-2002, 07:32 AM
I rode one and wasn't impressed. I thought it would be a smooth ride but that was not the case. My Chopper is smoother and the Hustler I demo'd there at the same time was smoother than the Ferris.

Just my opinion but I wouldn't have one.

jgoran5
10-16-2002, 07:35 AM
Well as they say opinions are like a**holes everyone has one.

Here is my opinion with the IS4000 I bought with a 27 HP Kaw for close to $10,000

First day I used it the clutch blows. Didn't even cut with it and I had to bring it back. At the same time I found out the safeties on the machine aren't functioning. Then the throttle lever was not staying in high throttle position and I had to replace it. Then I had the frame break at the weld on one side and they told me that they knew about this problem and had a kit to fix it. A couple of weeks later the other side breaks also. Duh, you think they would have fixed both at the same time if this was a known problem. While I'm waiting to get the machine back the dealer says oh yea there was a recall on the suspension and there is a kit that beefs up the suspension on the rear so we installed it. I also had the deck fall off because one of the bolts that holds it in wasn't on when it was put together at the dealer so I had to rig something for a month while I waited for the bracket to hold it on was ordered. The safeties switches and warning buzzers don't work after having the dealer fix them from the get go. Now I find out that the engine is blown because the warning indicators (buzzer and light) that I thought would avoid this problem weren't working.

I have had this machine in the shop more times than I care to think about and really regret not getting an exmark. My dealer tells me that Ferris said they won't cover the engine because it was my responsibility to not run the machine hot, even though the warning indicators weren't operating. I have 3 mowing crews and Bobcat, Scag, Great Dane and Ferris equip and I will never buy another Ferris. The machine only has about 400 hours on it and I've had all these problems in less than 2 years. I have all the reciepts to back up everthing I have had done to this machine and when I called Ferris directly they blew me right off. Unbelievable!!!

In will be going to Ex-Mark for future Z purchases this year!!!!!
Hope this helps.

Envy Lawn Service
10-16-2002, 06:53 PM
Sorry to hear you have had so much trouble with the Ferris.

I know you can get a lemon in anything, I have heard a few similar stories with other makes too. But, if that were me and I had forked out $10,000 on a machine and had that much trouble, I'd be expecting a new replacement, end of story.

Or....:nono: :angry: :realmad: :blob2: :gunsfirin :angel:

Well, you get the picture! :drinkup:

summitgroundskeeping
10-16-2002, 09:52 PM
jgoran5... sorry to hear about all the problems you have had with that ferris. We all have had our experiences with lemons, but it also sounds like to me your dealer messed up alot more than Ferris causing even more problems. I also heard that The first couple of years Ferris IS was out their mowers were bad, but that the now fixed all their glitches. DOn't rule them out... you seem like a reasonable man after all you do run Gret Dane:D .

iski3d
10-18-2002, 04:07 PM
I wouldent rush to buy an exmark mine has not been good at all. $10,000 and 300 hrs later it is in the shop nonstop!

mdb landscaping
10-18-2002, 06:16 PM
you mustve gotten a lemon or something iski, because exmark is very popular among users on this site, myself included. i have not had one problem with my lazer z yet. too bad your having such problems, because they really are a good machine.

and jgoran. i beleive the saying is "excuses are like a##holes, everybody has one, and they all stink". well, thats how ive heard it worded. maybe its worded different around here:D

Envy Lawn Service
10-18-2002, 07:53 PM
Any one of us could get a LEMON in any brand at any price. I still believe eXmark and Ferris are both solid equipment. But before I'd buy any equipment, I'd start a thread here to see if there are any common chronic problems with a given brand.

Both of these will remain on my demo list for now.

MONTE
10-18-2002, 08:47 PM
I do know of some cutters around here that tried some ferris riders with the suspesion. They claimed that they rode good but they broke alot!

carlsmower
10-19-2002, 12:54 AM
i heard that when you hit a large bump or take a corner that the deck likes to dive and scalp

Administrator
10-19-2002, 02:11 AM
I bought a used 32" Ferris single hydro back in the early 90's when I first went into business..... 12.5 hp kawi. When my biz partner and I split up several years later he got the unit, it had a slight ping/knock but still cut strong for a backup/backyard machine. As far as I know that machine is still running (with a ping/knock) without ever a single major repair!! (engine or mower) That mower must have upwards of 10k hoursor more on it by now... NO kidding. I remember paying $1,800 cash... prolly one of the best investments made. (as far as used equip)

bubble boy
10-19-2002, 01:39 PM
for what its worth, been told by service manager (NOT salesman) at one of my dealers who sells both that for WB ferris better, for Z exmark better.

and this dealer pushes ferris, so i found that interesting.

one can't argue exmark is more popular here, but again we are taking preferences.

ferris may not be everyones fave, but they are very solid, FULL commercial grade machines.

captdevo
10-22-2002, 04:41 PM
If anyone is interested in demos, Ferris is bringing some machines to me in Ft. Madison, Ia. 10/31 - 11/1 for demos, they're supposed to have all their models!!

even the big diesel!!

drop me a line for details!!

Envy Lawn Service
10-22-2002, 11:04 PM
captdevo,

I went and checked out the IS 1000 & IS 3000 yesterday. I'm almost sold on the IS 1000. They seem like really really nice machines.

danzig
10-23-2002, 11:58 PM
Do not buy a Ferris ZTR. I bought one new 2 years ago. At 8 hours one of the control levers broke. Couldn't get the dealer to come and pick it up at the job site so i had to load it up myself and transport it over to them. I never could get that thing to cut in a nice straight line like other brands of ztr's do. The stripes are not very good and the deck has little vacuum. It really burns me up when this mower doesnt stripe as nice as an encore 36" deck or my 60"exmark turf tracer. Talked to the regional sales manager and all he wants is for me to buy another mower at full price. This machine is not as productive as the other brands of ztr's in the market. My seat adjustment lever broke off at 165 hours and it took Ferris 5 weeks to deliver a replacement part. The welds on my mower are weak. More than 1 has broke and you can see where the welding rod barely made contact with the metal. Instead of a 1 inch long weld you have more like a 1/4" long weld that actually made contact with the metal surface. Ferris does not make a quality ZTR. Iam not happy with the Management or customer relations of Ferris AT All. Next spring I think I should load this fine piece of machinery on my trailer and park in the lot next to my dealer. I shall make a large sign that states all of the problems i have had with this mower and how well this company backs its product. This machine has less than 200 hours on it. If you still want a Ferris ztr, go buy one but keep an Exmark or Hustler for a back up. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Envy Lawn Service
10-24-2002, 12:21 AM
danzig,

Now those are some harsh complaints. Ones I don't take lightly at all! That's exactly how I'd be if I were in your shoes.

I know you could probably care less at this point. But have you looked at their new IS 1000's??? Probably not given all your troubles. I'm just curious about that. I feel now as I have completely fooled myself on the fit and finish of this product.

THAT WORRIES ME!!!

What you said about the deck really worries me. I took one look at the design and was very impressed. The baffles in the deck and the overall design looked good to me.

I really wish I could talk you into dropping by your dealer to give them a good looking over to see if those problems still appear to be present. You have no doubt developed an eye for their short comings and would be able to spot them quickly. You could quickly see if design improvements have been made since your unit was made.

I'm seriously doubting my "eye" for good equipment now!!! I absolutely refuse to buy anything before demoing it a while now.

Thanks for any more help you can lend!

Ryan Lightning
10-24-2002, 12:41 AM
They need a lemon law on mowers! Ive read to many stories on this BB. No one can afford to buy a peice of crud for a mower.:mad:

Envy Lawn Service
10-24-2002, 12:50 AM
Yeah, I agree. I've heard worse horror stories than this on Dixie Choppers too.

danzig
10-24-2002, 01:26 AM
I have looked at the 1000, 2000, and 3000. The deck has been modified. It is a deeper or longer deck which is supposed to improve flow and vacuum. The height of the deck plate at the front has been raised by at least an inch so the blades can cut tall grass in one pass instead of 2 or 3. This is an attempt to correct the shortcomings of the previous deck. ( a.k.a. poor vacuum/grass lift=poor cut=so so stripe visibility)I still believe that this new deck is inferior. A Ferris does not have the blade tip speed of an Exmark. Ferris claims they do but put that mower next to an Exmark and you can hear the difference. This deck will not stripe as well as other brands. The steering levers have a device that holds them in position, to keep you going in a straight line, which is similar to an Exmark. The whole point of the suspension is so you can move fast, hit a bump, and still go fast while maintaining a straight line. Ferris claims that other brand ztr's cannot do this.I do not recall if the 1000 has a suspension but i can tell you that the suspension does affect the ability if the machine to cut grass in a nice straight line. There is no way any Ferris ZTR will cut as nice as an Exmark, Dixie, Hustler and so on. A few properties i service have a bit of a drop and rise to them. It really sucks when i mow 2 or 3 acres and my stripes are not as straight as i like them to be. I have to compensate for the suspension roll constantly. No i'am not running at full speed but i am trying to maintain a straight line at a reasonable speed. As far as the welds on the new models are concerned they still look the same to me. If i had a digi cam i could take some pics and show everyone the welds that have broken on my machine. I was hoping Ferris would take this machine back but they suggest i sell it and buy another Ferris. What would you do?

jgoran5
10-24-2002, 06:41 AM
I'm glad I'm not the only one with problems with the IS4000. It was unbelievable that I had the frame weld completely break and brought it to my dealer. He said he called the Ferris rep and that they have had a lot of problems with this design and had a kit to fix it. First I said why didn't you notify me so I wouldn't have any down time. No logical answer for that. They told me the new machine has a redesigned frame because of the problems. Doesn't help me though. Then after I pick it up a week later the other side of the frame weld breaks. So I am pissed and they say oh well and fix it again with the kit. So I'm out about 2 weeks of time on the machine and the Ferris rep could care less. I even called Ferris customer service and they more or less said oh well. I have documented everything I've been through and the customer service as well as performance of the product will make me stay away from Ferris and certainly have nothing positive to say about their product.

I demoed a Walker the other day and I like it and I will demo an Ex-mark. I was told by the Walker guy that another guy is looking to get out of his Ferris and get a Walker but he wanted to know if I wanted to buy his Ferris IS1000 that has 40 hours on it. Needles to say I said no thanks and told the Walker dealer to make me a deal on a trade in for the Walker..

Envy Lawn Service
10-24-2002, 10:19 PM
OK now I truely doubt myself! I may just shy away from these. Geez was I fooled! Now I'm woried I'll pick out a piece of crap when I do make a buying decision! CRUD!!!!

AztlanLC
10-24-2002, 11:20 PM
I own 3 ferris mowers 1 3wheleer and 2 ztr IS3000z 2001 and IS3000z 2003 yeap 2003.

I used to ran Scags and the framing was a major problem real weak broke couple of times then I switched to ferris and man the difference its real big, I don't really know how they compare to Exmarks but for me they are the stronger I've run, the ride on the IS3000z is nice but the 2003 z it's a lot better (four wheel suspension), you really have to try it for couple of days to fully apreciatte the suspension or a whole day.

A friend of mine has a Dixie Chopper and he stripes real nice with it so it's my ferris (when I use it) One day we switched mowers and for me it was real easy to follow my lines as a matter of fact I liked better the handles but my friend couldn't keep straight he said the handles were real hard and they are compare to the DC but he loved the ride as much as I do.

I wouldn't change my ferris and the other reason is because I have a really good dealer near my shop.

I have about 1000hrs on the 3 W. and 500 and one of the z the new only 50 hrs. not major problems so far, one time the transmission had a leak and my dealer lend my not one but 2 mowers a 3WD and a Z, that's when I liked the z much better than my 3WR.

He said to me couple of months ago "I got the new Z, you want to try it? he was talking about the "big one" yeap the 72 cat engine, I knew the price was around 15 grand and told'em "not I don't think I can afford it" he said you don't have to buy it to try it, at first I didn't think of any place for it but then I had to do a big brush hog job, woooow talk about power I did the place in about 3 hours I quoted about $450.00 because I was planing to rent a tractor.

For my experience Ferris is a solid mower, stripes nice and saves my back.

danzig
10-26-2002, 07:20 PM
I 'am curious to see if the Ferris frame can hold up to the torque of a Cat diesel. I would stay clear of any Ferris until they up their quality and service.