PDA

View Full Version : Bed quality

head_start
06-09-2011, 02:03 PM
When I make a bed, I remove any sod from the area (I cut it out). My question is, could I just kill of the grass, and till it under while maintaning the quality of the bed? I don't want grass growing up through the bed, but cutting the sod out can be a bid project. What does everyone think?

fl-landscapes
06-09-2011, 02:15 PM
When I make a bed, I remove any sod from the area (I cut it out). My question is, could I just kill of the grass, and till it under while maintaning the quality of the bed? I don't want grass growing up through the bed, but cutting the sod out can be a bid project. What does everyone think?

I wouldnt, It will be a big mound higher that the surrounding turf. Cutting it out gives you an edge and room for mulch

White Gardens
06-11-2011, 09:25 AM
It depends on the situation...

If I'm doing rock beds, the first thing I do is skin down the area with a trimmer and spray off the area.

I sometimes do it for mulch beds, but If I do that, then I automatically do a free follow-up to spray out any grass that might have lived.

In a nutshell though, when doing any landscape bed, you are going to have to dig something whether it be a cut edge, a trench for brick edging, or holes for plants. With that comes extra dirt to grade the beds correctly for drainage and that to me is the most important part of any install.

head_start
06-11-2011, 02:52 PM
I agree, the bed construction makes it what it is. I am glad people dettered me from what I may have done. Thank you for all the help. Back to the way I used to do it, becuase if its not broken, don't fix it.