PDA

View Full Version : Need things to improve a lawn

Mow&Snow
10-15-2002, 07:45 PM
I'm looking for a few ideas that I can out on my flyer to help improve a lawn. U know, this sort of thing:

Three things to do to give your lawn a boost!
1:
2:
3:

there can't be much copy as space is limited.

Thanks for any help.

Tom

dlandscaping
10-15-2002, 07:49 PM
aeration
dethatching
fertilization

Mow&Snow
10-15-2002, 07:54 PM
Ya last year i used dethatching and fertilization and lime treatment. I was thinking I might change it tho.

Green Pastures
10-15-2002, 08:09 PM
1-Soil Test (determines what fet to put down if necessary at all)
2-Correct the ph level of the soil (if needed based on soil sample)
3-Cut at the right height.
4-Fert. with the proper fert. (based on soil sample test results.)
5-Water effectively
6-Pray

Just a few ideas. You can beat your head against a wall, jump up and down for a year straight, but if the soil is not to the particular turf grasses liking you're fighting a losing battle.

Scott

Grasshog
10-15-2002, 08:42 PM
1. Hire Me.
2. Pay me on Time.
3. Dont ever complain.

AielLandscaping
10-15-2002, 08:47 PM
i have a take on this, and no real evidence to offer to support my idea but i've notice that flyers that have aeration, dethatching, soil testing, and things of that nature don't do as well as more simple ones do. here's why i think they don't get as good of returns. most people don't know squat about lawn care, that's why they hire us. when we try to sell something and the cusotmer doesn't fully know what it is, or why it should be done, they are less likely to call. it's hard to imagine a world where people don't understand why they should fertilize, or aerate, or dethatch because we all deal with it everyday. for what it's worth i think most people don't know about lawn care, and i'd try to make a flyer that was more on the common person's level. don't use words they aren't likely to fully understand. maybe i'm wrong, but i got the best response from my very first flyer which didn't list any services and just had name, phone, and a short paragraph length sales pitch. everything i've used that listed services got a 1% respose rate. the simplier one got closer to 3%. while i'm at it, i had an ad in the phone book which listed services, two of which were aerate and dethatch. i got one call for aerate and none for dethatch. and i had the only ad which offered either of the two.

dr grass
10-15-2002, 09:26 PM
1 : sign a contract
2 : oblige by the contract
3 : dont *****

greenman
10-15-2002, 11:44 PM
Originally posted by Grasshog
1. Hire Me.
2. Pay me on Time.
3. Dont ever complain.

Yeah, what he said.:D

Schlepie
10-16-2002, 12:54 AM
aerate
compost
mow right height

Ryan Lightning
10-16-2002, 01:07 AM
AielLandscaping, Im no sure aeration and dethatching sell good in are area, unless they have hybrid burmuda. If your after those customers, you should have 2 flyers, one for hybrid and one for fescue, and maybe even one for the mixed up lawns?
For my regular customers, Im going to do a News Letter every few months, with articles on lawn and plant care, and what services should be done at certin times. That way I dont have to make calls are knock on the door and ask if they want stuff done, The plan is they will call me and ask for it to be done, becasue my News Letter informed them it should be done.

awm
10-16-2002, 08:45 AM
soil test. after that its just a matter of doing what needs to be done. assuming u know what to do. the other factors
are, is what needs to be done possile. also its matter of choice as to what u want the outcome to be.jmho

E-Rock
10-16-2002, 02:12 PM
1. Have good equipment.
2. Keep the blades sharp & decks clean.
3. Pay me on time. (I like that one)

We have two riders, a Snapper & a Toro. There is a world of difference between the two. Even though the Snapper has more horses (25 Kohler vs 23 Kohler) the Toro seems to have more power in tall grass. The Toro is more solid, stripes better, cuts cleaner, the whole 9 yards. I love the 1/4 inch increments on the deck hight too. If I get sent out on a job with the Snapper, I often have to double cut to produce the same results I could have gotten off of one cut with the Toro. I just hate that damn Snapper...I skip using the Snapper rider in favor of a Scag 48in belt walk-behind. That's how bad they are.

Gravely_Man
10-16-2002, 02:41 PM
Educate the customer on the benefits of having a specially trained and certified person such as yourself manage their lawn care needs. The most common needs were covered by Scott (Green Pastures) unless the lawn is so bad that you totally have to start over. These items that seem so simple and straightforward to us are just missed by the majority of our customers.

Gravely_Man

Mow&Snow
10-17-2002, 12:05 AM
I guess some of you may have missed the actual question. Maybe you could go back and reread it before posting???

Mow&Snow
10-17-2002, 12:07 AM
I'm sorry. That reads as real harsh. Not I what meant. This is info, or rather short copy that could be put into an ad flyer. I'm not looking things like "pay me on time". Seems like that would be a horrible ad slogan don't you think?