PDA

View Full Version : Type of Grass

GravelyGuy
06-09-2011, 08:55 PM
Can anyone ID this grass? It grows in a mainly KBG lawn. It stays green just like other cool season grasses. It grows in large clumps.

MOW ED
06-10-2011, 03:07 PM
Gonna give a shot at possibly tall fescue.

rob640
06-10-2011, 03:23 PM
I've seen alot of fescue grow in clumps

GravelyGuy
06-10-2011, 05:53 PM
Definitely not tall fescue. I've never seen it before. I will try to get some better pics of it. It looks much different than kbg, rye, fescue, zoysia, etc. in person.
Posted via Mobile Device

Ridin' Green
06-10-2011, 06:26 PM
The blades in those pics look a lot like quackgrass.

A-1 LAWN
06-10-2011, 08:22 PM
"BUNCH GRASS" tall fescue ??

Runner
06-10-2011, 08:22 PM
It's zoysia. It is very drought tolerant, as it has real deep root system, stays cool, but starts going into dormancy early right when it first starts to cool down. Has to be sprayed off while it's actively growing, and will need to be sprayed twice (about 2 weeks apart).

IRRITECH
06-10-2011, 10:28 PM
It's zoysia. It is very drought tolerant, as it has real deep root system, stays cool, but starts going into dormancy early right when it first starts to cool down. Has to be sprayed off while it's actively growing, and will need to be sprayed twice (about 2 weeks apart).

Re read first post.

Runner
06-10-2011, 11:30 PM
Yeah, we have that up here. Up here though, it is green for about 4 1/2 months, then starts to go into dormancy again. My sister's old house,...she had half her front yard of this stuff. The first year she was there, she thought half of her lawn was dead. lol

MCFISH
06-10-2011, 11:39 PM
We have something like that up here in Iowa, we call it water grass, there always seem to be water droplets on the leaves even in the middle of the day.

White Gardens
06-10-2011, 11:53 PM
We have something like that up here in Iowa, we call it water grass, there always seem to be water droplets on the leaves even in the middle of the day.

That would be crab-grass. Not what is pictured.

GravelyGuy
06-10-2011, 11:57 PM
Its not zoysia. It is actively growing by the end of march and stays green into december.
Posted via Mobile Device

GravelyGuy
06-11-2011, 12:01 AM
If it's zoysia, it grows different than the other zoysia lawns I have dealt with.
Posted via Mobile Device

Runner
06-11-2011, 12:23 AM
Wow...If that's the case (with the March and December post), then it wouldn't be Zoysia. Hmmm....

ALC-GregH
06-11-2011, 10:27 AM
Can you take a pic of just a few blades with roots and all the stem and leaves on it? It's hard to ID what it is in a large clump. I won't even guess what it is.

White Gardens
06-11-2011, 10:30 AM
I'm waiting to see if anyone comes up with the answer.

I've got one patch of this grass in my yard also. I know I've run across the name of it at one time or another and it's escaping me right now as to what it is. Ticks me off that I can't remember. I feel I get bombarded by plant names constantly and can't remember them all.

I'm guessing it's a 2' clump, and if you pull it, it comes up up easily out of the turf as it's shallow rooted. Last year when I aerated my lawn a large chunk of it came up when I ran through it.

I originally thought it was a warm season type grass also, but like gravely guy has said, it's green early and late in the season.

GravelyGuy
06-11-2011, 11:18 AM
This stuff is in an area along the street. It's a pretty large area, probably 25'x10'. I'm ashamed to admit, Ive been maintaining the lawn(fert and mowing) for the last 5 years, not knowing what this stuff is. It does seem to be spreading, but not very quickly. No herbicides have affected it.

I said it grows in clumps, but it's hard to explain what I mean. You can grab a section of it with your hand and it will lift up a big area. It is always matted down.

Runner
06-11-2011, 12:57 PM
Where abouts in Indiana are you? Toward the southern part?

GravelyGuy
06-11-2011, 01:10 PM
Where abouts in Indiana are you? Toward the southern part?

Actually 1 hour north of Indy in Lafayette.

dgw
06-11-2011, 04:43 PM
its a crappy cultivar of bent

Runner
06-12-2011, 02:10 PM
Ok... I was just asking, because I was thinking if you were down far enough, you would have a earlier warmth and later cooling than we generally do (like toward Kentucky), but I see you're about halfway between. granted, you STILL see some better weather than we do, but I don't see enough of a difference that it would do the differences we discussed.
dgw, I kind of thought of that, too - but bentgrass certainly isn't my forte. All the bentgrass infestations we see here are more of a webby stringy mess that reminds me of angel hair pasta.

dgw
06-12-2011, 02:18 PM
Ok... I was just asking, because I was thinking if you were down far enough, you would have a earlier warmth and later cooling than we generally do (like toward Kentucky), but I see you're about halfway between. granted, you STILL see some better weather than we do, but I don't see enough of a difference that it would do the differences we discussed.
dgw, I kind of thought of that, too - but bentgrass certainly isn't my forte. All the bentgrass infestations we see here are more of a webby stringy mess that reminds me of angel hair pasta.

i know the type you mean

the type in the pic holds water like no other, the rest of a property can be completely dry from a rain, and this stuff will still be like walking on a waterbed

GravelyGuy
06-12-2011, 02:23 PM
Thanks dgw. You are exactly right about the holding water. It is wet for days after a rain. I guess only roundup and reseed for this stuff.
Posted via Mobile Device

dgw
06-12-2011, 02:25 PM
Thanks dgw. You are exactly right about the holding water. It is wet for days after a rain. I guess only roundup and reseed for this stuff.
Posted via Mobile Device

yes , i dont believe there is a selective for bent in cool season grass

dgw
06-12-2011, 02:29 PM
only good part is you wont get to many weeds coming through that stuff

with the exception of oxalis