PDA

View Full Version : Would some kind soul please send us a *** drop of rain!

QualityLawnCare4u
06-09-2011, 10:20 PM
For you folks that are in the areas that are being flooded wanted to say I am sorry. However, I wish someone would send us a drop of rain. I had 3 cancelations today on two week yards. I am now down to cutting every 3 weeks and they don't need it. Toasty and brown. I can't beg, buy, borrow or steal a drop of rain.

Extended forcast today calls for no rain in site for the next week with temps in the high 90's and low 100's. I am choking on every yard I do from the dust clouds. I remember a few years back offereing to send some rain we were getting so much of it but not this year! Its either feast or famine. Im affraid my season may be ending very early like in the next month the way it looks.

The only thing that has saved my azz has been good ol bahai, the only grass that can withstand a nuclear blast at ground zero:laugh: and keep growing.

topsites
06-09-2011, 10:45 PM
I had 3 cancelations today on two week yards. I am now down to cutting every 3 weeks and they don't need it. Toasty and brown. I am choking on every yard I do from the dust clouds.

I have said it year after year time and again folks need to lay off the cutting long before it gets
to that point because now even if you do get rain those yards won't recover until mid to late fall,
once they're toasty brown they're as good as dead and no amount of water will bring it back,
what will come back one day are weeds, most likely lots of them.

QualityLawnCare4u
06-09-2011, 11:53 PM
Topsites, all my yards are weeds and a mix of grass and thats when it rains:laugh: I only have really one high end yard that really cares about keeping it watered and his health has gotten bad. His yard looks the worse that it has ever looked. I basically show up and stur up dust. Thing about it is a lot of my clients could care less if their yard died, then they would not have to pay for lawncare:hammerhead: Oh, BTW, bahai is hard kill, it can turn brown and one small rain it turns green and healthy real fast!

Actually I the 3 that called today sounded real happy about not having to have yards mowed:cry:

weeze
06-10-2011, 12:01 AM
it's dry as a bone here...we need rain bad....but for some strange reason i've been getting calls left and right every day this week.

Snyder's Lawn Inc
06-10-2011, 12:01 AM
you can have t hoping for few weeks of dry weather
Have lots of new lawns to put in and can t till mud

DA Quality Lawn & YS
06-10-2011, 12:45 AM
OP I feel for you, drought is THE TOUGHEST situation to endure for mowers.

Too much rain, frustrating, but at least there is grass that can be cut and will need cut often in the forseeable future.

Darryl G
06-10-2011, 12:55 AM
We just got a couple of brief thunderstorms yesterday and a huge one this evening, but before that it had gotten really dry. We went from seemingly endless rain and uncontrolled growth to bone dry and lawns starting to stress out in a period of 2 weeks. I have never had to raise my cutting heights and skip cuts in early June before. Some lawns were showing that bluish wilt they get before they start to burn out. It seemed more like mid to late July. Hopefully the rain we got will get things growing again and we will get into a more seasonable weather pattern.

DA Quality Lawn & YS
06-10-2011, 01:01 AM
daryl I would say since it is still late spring your mowable turf should pull out of it and start decent growth again.

The really bad droughts are the ones that happen mid/hot summer and the lawns go totally dormant, where even some nice rainfalls don't bring them back very well. You have to wait until fall to get them rejuvenated again.

Darryl G
06-10-2011, 01:14 AM
daryl I would say since it is still late spring your mowable turf should pull out of it and start decent growth again.

The really bad droughts are the ones that happen mid/hot summer and the lawns go totally dormant, where even some nice rainfalls don't bring them back very well. You have to wait until fall to get them rejuvenated again.

Yeah, that was how it was last year here. Pretty much any lawn area in full sun that didn't get irrigated got fried. I did well on the lawn renovation end of things in the fall though :) As a side note, I re-seed all those areas with Turf-Type Tall Fescue.

It's just weird that a week ago I was struggling to keep up with the growth and this week I'm skipping cuts. We got an inch or 2 of rain in an hour this evening though which should hold us over for a week or more.

I guess it's better here than some areas though, so I won't complain.

QualityLawnCare4u
06-10-2011, 01:27 AM
you can have t hoping for few weeks of dry weather
Have lots of new lawns to put in and can t till mud

Actually when I posted this I was thinking of you folks in MO, been seeing a lot on the news about all the rain yall are getting and wishing I had just a little of it!

Snyder's Lawn Inc
06-10-2011, 01:34 AM
Actually when I posted this I was thinking of you folks in MO, been seeing a lot on the news about all the rain yall are getting and wishing I had just a little of it!I just got 4'' this evening from 5pm to now check it starting rain more
Still trying seed a lawn I started month ago

QualityLawnCare4u
06-10-2011, 02:02 AM
I just got 4'' this evening from 5pm to now check it starting rain more
Still trying seed a lawn I started month ago

:cry: We have not had 4 inches in the past several months!

White Gardens
06-10-2011, 02:20 AM
We just started to dry out here in Central IL. Just north of us has been getting hammered pretty bad with the rain.

We're slated for a round of storms tonight. The lawns have been doing great around here and even the toughest lawns to grow grass in look great.

The biggest problem I've had this last week is trying to dig holes. The ground went from soggy to bone dry and hard as a rock.

Good luck to all you guys in drought hit areas. It's been a long time since we've gone through one and our number is probably coming up soon.

Richard Martin
06-10-2011, 03:15 AM
It is extremely dry here too. I'll start skipping cuts next week. We're officially in some form of drought more time than we're not. The climate has definitely changed here.

Right now we're in moderate drought.

http://www.drought.gov/portal/server.pt/gateway/PTARGS_0_2_792_223_0_43/http%3B/drought.unl.edu/dm/pics/nc_dm.png

RECESSION PROOF MOWING
06-10-2011, 03:19 AM
For you folks that are in the areas that are being flooded wanted to say I am sorry. However, I wish someone would send us a drop of rain. I had 3 cancelations today on two week yards. I am now down to cutting every 3 weeks and they don't need it. Toasty and brown. I can't beg, buy, borrow or steal a drop of rain.

Extended forcast today calls for no rain in site for the next week with temps in the high 90's and low 100's. I am choking on every yard I do from the dust clouds. I remember a few years back offereing to send some rain we were getting so much of it but not this year! Its either feast or famine. Im affraid my season may be ending very early like in the next month the way it looks.

The only thing that has saved my azz has been good ol bahai, the only grass that can withstand a nuclear blast at ground zero:laugh: and keep growing.

I'm watering til 1am at my home to keep everything looking good. Have the sprinkler on right now and it's after 1am...was about 100 degrees today. Haven't had rain in a week.

cpllawncare
06-10-2011, 04:00 AM
We're dry as a bone here as well, so far only one cancellation.