PDA

View Full Version : Gear or Hydro??

rross
10-15-2002, 09:45 PM
What are everyone's preferences on Gear and Hydro walk behinds, all I use are the big hydro zero turns. I've never even set hand on a walk behind, just looing for suggestions before I go down and start giving them all the test!!!!

Thanks

longviewlawncare
10-15-2002, 09:59 PM
if you run a gear drive and then switch to a hydro you will never go back to a gear. I have a lesco 48" hydro and a scag 48" gear. I was planning on keeping the gear as a backup, but after using it for a sclaping job the other day and seeing the real differnce it will be in the paper next week up for sale.

BRIAN GALLO
10-16-2002, 12:51 AM
I have all gear drive mowers. They are reliable and easy to fix, but they do beat you up. If you cut a lot of hills you are doing a good deal of fighting the brakes. I'm going to be getting a hydro real soon.

Flex-Deck
10-16-2002, 01:24 AM
A-men - - - - - Once hydro you will never go back - http://36X

HarryD
10-16-2002, 03:07 AM
what do you mean you have never set hand on a walk behind . cant mow everything with a z unless you only take jobs where you would never need a WB . I think that pretty much limits yourself

John Gamba
10-16-2002, 07:36 AM
Harry D
I Only Had To Not Take One Job since I Went all Lazers. I Love the Smaller trailers and no walkbehineds.
john

rodfather
10-16-2002, 07:51 AM
In 8 years, we have never had a gear drive WB...all hydros. But I did try one once just to see what it was like.

Nope, not for me thank you.

Bill Davis
10-16-2002, 10:37 AM
i had two 36' gravely walks that were gear drive and by the end of the day my hands would be hurting. I did get some strong forearms though.:D now i have just one Gravely and my Lazer HP and i sure like to sit down now and take it easy. My guys say i have gained a few pounds because i sit so much. That is probably true. They call my Lazer "the throne" b/c im the boss and my lazy @$$ just sits on it and watches them work. I LOVE MY EXMARK!!

GarPA
10-16-2002, 10:45 AM
Rross...Im in the same boat as you...the Z cant go places I need to go...but I gag eveytime I price these 36/48 hydros...man thats allot of money for those compared to what I spent for my hp52..oh well it is what it is

Green Pastures
10-16-2002, 11:46 AM
My first w/b was a gear, and I've never really liked it. The second w/b I got was a hydro and I'll never get another gear drive w/b again.

Scott

rross
10-16-2002, 01:12 PM
Do they tear the ground up as much as the big zth does, mine does a good job, and I'm experienced enough to be good to the lawn, but in smaller places, like a front yard where its important, sometimes it likes to tear teh lawn up when its a little damp. Any suggestions? Well, you all know it weights like 850 pounds as-well...

Green Pastures
10-16-2002, 01:48 PM
The power to the pumps can be adjusted up or down according to your experience level. The really nice thing about hydro's is that you do NOT always have to do zero turns, they reverse rather nicely and without having to reach down and shift gears. I've found this is very helpful in not tearing up the turf.

Scott

Gravely_Man
10-16-2002, 02:05 PM
Nothing but gear drive for me currently but I really like when I get to run a hydro mower. Nice and smooth but I can do most all of the work on the gear drive mowers myself. Some day I will upgrade but not for now it will just be the same old gear system.

Gravely_Man

lawnworker
10-16-2002, 02:21 PM
This is a good place to post this question. Those of you, who stepped up to a hydro walkbehind or bought a hydro to begin with. Which deck do you prefer?, floating or fixed . I currently run fixed decked gear drives. Exmark is my brand but opinions of others are welcome.For those exmark users out there, has the turf tracer proved durable for long term use?

ple_1969
10-16-2002, 02:46 PM
Rross…

I posted a thread about 2 weeks ago asking if a hydro is really worth it. After reading all the responses, I decided to buy the eXmark Turf Tracer HP with the 52” deck. For me it was the infinite forward speed and a true reverse that sold me on the mower.

Pete

Darryl G
10-16-2002, 10:16 PM
Flex Deck - Nice lawn there. Don't you think it's a little brown to be cutting it?:D

Scag48
10-17-2002, 01:30 AM
The reverse on hydro is nice if you want to do K turns. Infinitely variable is nice. Pulls a sulky up hills well. Go hydro and don't look back if you've got the $$$. I like my Exmark! :D

mklawnman
10-17-2002, 05:19 PM
Walkbehinds in general are much easier to control on hills and to get into tight areas and such. They are a heck of alot lighter than a rider ZTR. I have a fixed 52inch 17hp Kaw Scag Hydro bought it earlier this year. Once you get used to the thing its so fun and easy to manuver. Just like other people have said, with the variable speed control thingy real easy to fly or to take it easy on a hill. Have a Jungle Jim with mine pulls nicely.
Matt