PDA

View Full Version : Need help pricing a new commercial landscape install

mjlcare
06-09-2011, 10:03 PM
I am bidding on a new store being built in my area.

This bid will be for both landscaping and irrigation. i have all the cad drawings and specs provided by arch. and builders.

I have done my research and the plants are going to cost 15k. irrigation is going to cost $1500.

25 trees and over 500 schrubs plus 20 pallets of bahia

what would you price this kind of job at.

i have already put my bid in, just trying to get some ideas of what you guys would charge

thanks

DiSantolandscaping
06-11-2011, 09:03 AM
id bid the job around 30 to 35k depending on how many guys are helping you and what else your using for material after you plant all the tress and shrubs.

White Gardens
06-11-2011, 09:26 AM
I'd charge a lot.

GreenLight
06-11-2011, 02:00 PM
Just going by an old safe formula...

If you know your material costs alone are 16,500 you can likely assume your overhead when all is said and done is equivalent to at least 10,000 more (Labor, Machinery, Insurance, Office Costs, equipment and tools, gas, workmans comp, etc, etc, etc..list could go on for quite some time if you really break it down to TRUE operating costs per day). Before the company earns a nickel you would have to be close to $30,000. Seems to me anywhere from $42,000 - $48,000 considering you can bet on a job with that many plants you are going to be doing quite a few revisits and some occasional replacements in that first year.

mjlcare
06-14-2011, 05:20 PM
so i bid 39,670.00 on the job so i guess i did pretty good interms of yalls opinion

let me know what you think

SoCalLandscapeMgmt
06-17-2011, 09:01 PM
I'm a little concerned that you have over $16K in plant material and only $1500 for irrigation..... is this a typo? From the looks of the breakdown that you provided you should have at least another $14K to $15K in irrigation expense!

IRRITECH
06-18-2011, 07:50 AM
Well, here's what's going to happen. The company who gets the job will put in 1 1/2" - 2" trees, 4" liriope, Lorepetulum @ 3 gal, etc. If the specs called for X amount of topsoil, it will not happen. Staking system will include grade stakes and twine. Irrigation will be so poor that without rain plants will die (even if there is a design it won't be followed). I could go on and on. The winning bid will be under 25K, probably under 20. I don't even bid these jobs anymore. Developers don't care and neither do the contractors, bottom line is what matters. Good luck to you.

CALandscapes
06-23-2011, 11:17 PM
Well, here's what's going to happen. The company who gets the job will put in 1 1/2" - 2" trees, 4" liriope, Lorepetulum @ 3 gal, etc. If the specs called for X amount of topsoil, it will not happen. Staking system will include grade stakes and twine. Irrigation will be so poor that without rain plants will die (even if there is a design it won't be followed). I could go on and on. The winning bid will be under 25K, probably under 20. I don't even bid these jobs anymore. Developers don't care and neither do the contractors, bottom line is what matters. Good luck to you.

You hit the nail on the head with those comments...

Bid work is for the birds.............. :hammerhead: