PDA

View Full Version : Stupid question

siberslug
06-10-2011, 12:31 AM
I'm a complete newbie when it comes to commercial walk behind mowers.
Do I need a mower jack or lift or can I push mower back onto its handles to change the blades and clean the deck?

Bumpmaster
06-10-2011, 12:33 AM
Did not read the Thread, is there such thing?

B&GLandscaping
06-10-2011, 12:40 AM
I just push down on my handles and put some jack stands under the deck to hold it up. this works just fine for me

weeze
06-10-2011, 12:41 AM
stupid is as stupid does

Darryl G
06-10-2011, 12:43 AM
You can buy a jack made for the purpose but for a walk behind mower it really isn't necessary. I wouldn't tip it back that far but you should easily be able to tip back a walk behind mower. First you will want to put the parking brake on if so equipped or block the rear wheels. Then raise the front and put axle stands under the deck to support it. I only ever used one but I'd recommend using a set to be on the safe side. I'm sure there are other methods as well.

Because of how my particular sulky is, I can just position mine so that the rear wheels of the mower are around 4 inches from the back of my trailer and tip it back. The sulky keeps it from tipping back too far and gravity keeps it tipped back.

knox gsl
06-10-2011, 12:56 AM
On my WB (52" Turf Tracer) I just pick up the front with my right hand and put a jack stand under with the left one. Don't make it a big deal. My Lazer, I just drive one of yhr front wheels up the ramp of the trailer and crawl under. Get used to it all mowers need the blades sharpened at least every 10 hours of run time.

topsites
06-10-2011, 01:27 AM
I definitely recommend buying both a set of jackstands, they're only like 20 dollars and believe me if your mowers don't need it
your truck or car will, these are an absolute indispensable repair tool to have, plus they don't break so they last forever.

And...
A hydraulic floor jack, I don't mean a bottle jack but get one on wheels, these are a bit pricier
but since your life depends on it I wouldn't cheap out, get a good one, nuff said.
These can and do break but I usually get many good years out of each one.

Remember it's not just for the mowers.
And if you ever go out of business, even if your business should fail which I'm not saying that it will
but if for any reason one day you decide you no longer want to do the yard work thing...
You'll still have use for a set of jackstands and a hydraulic floor jack.