PDA

View Full Version : Mowing in 100 degree heat.

RECESSION PROOF MOWING
06-10-2011, 03:13 AM
We're getting through the schedules but man is it steaming out there. Wrapped up today about 5pm, usually we stay out til dark. Back at it tomorrow morning at 7am sharp with some ghetto cuts and Overland Park luxury homes...and a big church to end the day.

Hell on Blades
06-10-2011, 06:07 AM
I have 17 on the schedule for Friday, and am released from night shift at 6am. The mower starts at 7:30 SHARP. I have a cooler FULL of cold water, a safari hat and a set of worktunes.

This flip is killing me. Just sent out the email to all customers suggesting a watering schedule.

lawnman3
06-10-2011, 08:18 AM
yes but you could be in florida too...

lots of water sunblock and eat on the regular and a hat is a must have...

lawnman3...

tuffram
06-10-2011, 08:25 AM
Or Alabama as well!!! I would love to be up in the northern states during the summer months it is almost like our springtime.

RandallM
06-10-2011, 08:45 AM
Agreed. It is getting rough in Alabama. Where is the rain!!???!!

tuffram
06-10-2011, 09:05 AM
We got a little rain last night. It was just a light drizzle for about an hour nothing to amount to anything since this was the first rain we have had since April 27 and it has been scorching here every day since April 27. I cut 6 yards last Friday the temperature was 99 out and the dew point was 87, which gave a heat index of 118 degrees it was terrible I went through 7 bottles of water and 2 poweraid in 9 hours.

txgrassguy
06-10-2011, 09:40 AM
Try mowing in 90% humidity when it hits 100*F by 11:00am in full sun with little breeze.
My a.o. is in the midst of a hundred year drought - by 2:00pm exposed surfaces on the truck or tools are usually to hot to grab bare handed.

DA Quality Lawn & YS
06-10-2011, 10:34 AM
Or Alabama as well!!! I would love to be up in the northern states during the summer months it is almost like our springtime.

Not exactly correct. We just spent 5 straight days over 90 degrees with one at 101 and high humidity. In fact most of those days, we were as warm or warmer than most points in the US. I am certain your avg summer temps are higher, but we are right up there too from June through August with common temps in the 80's and high humidity.

Misconception that northern states are cold all year round, baloney, our summers are plenty hot too. It just we are tough old birds around here, with temp swings of 110 degrees (20 below to 90 above) from winter to summer.

ALC-GregH
06-10-2011, 10:59 AM
Not exactly correct. We just spent 5 straight days over 90 degrees with one at 101 and high humidity. In fact most of those days, we were as warm or warmer than most points in the US. I am certain your avg summer temps are higher, but we are right up there too from June through August with common temps in the 80's and high humidity.

Misconception that northern states are cold all year round, baloney, our summers are plenty hot too. It just we are tough old birds around here, with temp swings of 110 degrees (20 below to 90 above) from winter to summer.

Yep, it was 100+ yesterday here in PA. Looks like we might get some relief in temps next week. Most of my lawns are already getting heat stressed, all within 2-3 weeks. Went from rain daily to heat almost unbearable all in a few weeks. A few haven't even grown any in the last week.

tuffram
06-10-2011, 11:03 AM

I would kill for an 85-degree day down here our dew point (humidy) level never drops below 80% in the summer months. It might get as hot for a few days up north as it does down here but there is no comparison to northern summers verses southern summers. It is a very different world same with northern winters and southern winters no comparison you are also forgetting we do not have a spring or fall season it goes from winter to summer back to winter here. 90 degrees in late Feb. to early march and 90 degrees from late September to mid October and still in the upper 70's to mid 80's at thanksgiving. Where I work fulltime I do allot of traveling up north to IL, OH, MI, during summer and winter and I will trade any summer day in the south with and summer day up north.

GravyTrain
06-10-2011, 11:04 AM
common temps in the 80's? i'd give anything for a summer like that. I'm not trying to start a p*ssing match, but it's tough to compare north and south weather. I'll take my winters over northern winters though.

The last week, we've averaged about 95 or so during the day without a drop of water. I think we have about 30% chance of scattered thunderstorms tomorrow, and then nothing for the next week after that on the forecast.

Last year, I think we set records for most days with over 100 degree temperatures. And although we've only hit 100 plus with the heat index so far this year....it's also only the first week of June. I've started carrying a gallon of gatorade, a gallon of water and a seperate cooler for ice water that I keep rags in to wipe down between yards. It's amazing how much cooler you can feel after running a cold rag over your head, neck and face.

*side note - the A/C in my truck is broken....i'm not happy about that.

Northeast Mower
06-10-2011, 11:47 AM

It's just as hot up here right now big man. We had three days this week over 95, one day topped out at over 100. Surely we don't have the consistent heat as much as you guys do but we still cook sometimes.

Greenery
06-10-2011, 11:48 AM
Ahh it feels nice today 65 degrees. 70 yesterday and 70 and sunny for sat and sunday. Aahhhhahaha
Posted via Mobile Device

205mx
06-10-2011, 12:24 PM

im from bham originally. i can tell u from experience its as hot or hotter in southern illinois, due to humidity.

tuffram
06-10-2011, 12:24 PM
It's just as hot up here right now big man. We had three days this week over 95, one day topped out at over 100. Surely we don't have the consistent heat as much as you guys do but we still cook sometimes.

I will trade with you!!!!!

205mx
06-10-2011, 12:27 PM
man, if you are done by five; id quit by 1:30, take a 2 hour hour break and work into the night when its cooler. i went 7 am- 9:45pmn tuesday

weeze
06-10-2011, 12:55 PM
it's not hot yet...95 is easy...wait until it's 105 or higher lol

i don't mind the sweat...i just hate the sweat dripping into my eyes and getting on my protective shades and such making it hard to see...and my shirt getting so dirty and having to look for a clean spot to wipe my glasses off since it's so dirty from wiping the sweat from my forehead with dirt all over it.

GravyTrain
06-10-2011, 12:57 PM
it's not hot yet...95 is easy...wait until it's 105 or higher lol

agreed...and that's not including heat index....

Will P.C.
06-10-2011, 01:06 PM
I lived in PA for a few years. The summers are hot, very hot.

I live in GA now. The summers are on that next level hot. It is dangerous to even be out it in.

I am not sure why some companies do not take the mid afternoon off. Work till 10 or 11 depending on when you go out and take 11-3 off. Go back out at 3-4 and work till night.

At some point, you need to look at worker efficiency.

weeze
06-10-2011, 01:09 PM
probably since most people do other things at night like take their kids to ball practice or whatever...things like that so they don't want to work any later than 5pm...but yeah it would make more sense to work like 8-12 and then break from 12-4 and go back out and work 4-8pm.

Will P.C.
06-10-2011, 01:13 PM
probably since most people do other things at night like take their kids to ball practice or whatever...things like that so they don't want to work any later than 5pm...but yeah it would make more sense to work like 8-12 and then break from 12-4 and go back out and work 4-8pm.

Yes, I do not have a family so I did not think of these things.

Also while the north is hot during the day, the early mornings and nights are much cooler than the south. In August, you could wear a light jacket at night.

tuffram
06-10-2011, 01:19 PM
Yes, I do not have a family so I did not think of these things.

Also while the north is hot during the day, the early mornings and nights are much cooler than the south. In August, you could wear a light jacket at night.

That must be nice I wish we could do that. I remember in early march some of the northern states were still getting a little snow and we had 90-degree temps here. Last thanksgiving it was 78 degrees here.

weeze
06-10-2011, 01:23 PM
i try to get done by 1pm every day...just work until lunch...but it's still hot...it's 95 here at 10am...it sucks lol...and it's just early june...i'm skeered of what july and august are gonna be like.

tuffram
06-10-2011, 01:31 PM
i try to get done by 1pm every day...just work until lunch...but it's still hot...it's 95 here at 10am...it sucks lol...and it's just early june...i'm skeered of what july and august are gonna be like.

Jason I know you know the old saying "If you don’t like the weather in Alabama just wait a minute" it is going to get allot worse next month and August. My wife and I go on vacation to Gatlinburg Tenn. every year during July 4th week it’s hot there but it is a relief from what we have here.

madisonpressurewashing
06-10-2011, 02:00 PM
Alot of Alabama people on here. Yes, my yards are turnng into dust and it is cuttting into my money. Please send some rain.

Northeast Mower
06-10-2011, 02:37 PM
I guess you could do your residential work in the morning until about 10-11am, take an afternoon break then hit all of your commercial accounts in the evening. Most of our commercial accounts are lit so we can cut, mulch, plant etc.

44DCNF
06-10-2011, 03:27 PM
Keep a salt shaker, preferrably pink himalayan for its high mineral content, in your truck or gear bag. Each day put at least 1/4 teaspoon in at least one of your water bottles. It'll help stave off dehydration provided you are drinking plenty of water with it. If you should start getting hand or muscle cramps, stop sweating or peeing, take same dose-1/4 teaspoon for 16 oz of water every fifteen minutes until cramps subside. then continue to drink more water.

We lose minerals in our sweat and urine that are vitally needed to help us stay hydrated; these minerals are needed for all our cells to operate right through proper conduction of electrical currents. Low fluids and low minerals can wreak havoc.

tuffram
06-10-2011, 03:49 PM
Get you and everyone on your crew’s one of these.

DA Quality Lawn & YS
06-10-2011, 04:02 PM
I would kill for an 85-degree day down here our dew point (humidy) level never drops below 80% in the summer months. It might get as hot for a few days up north as it does down here but there is no comparison to northern summers verses southern summers. It is a very different world same with northern winters and southern winters no comparison you are also forgetting we do not have a spring or fall season it goes from winter to summer back to winter here. 90 degrees in late Feb. to early march and 90 degrees from late September to mid October and still in the upper 70's to mid 80's at thanksgiving. Where I work fulltime I do allot of traveling up north to IL, OH, MI, during summer and winter and I will trade any summer day in the south with and summer day up north.

Sometimes I feel we miss out on spring and summer as well, if it heats up quick during spring and we get early snow in the fall. Kinda funny though, I was in SC for a week at the beginning of April....was in the 70's and 80's definitely not 90's. Are you that much warmer than SC that you are 90 in the middle of winter? Kinda stretchin it.

For the record we were mid nineties to 100 over the last 5 days, just cooling down yesterday. Hotter than you guys were over that stretch. Hots hot, man, don't care where you are from. Its just that we don't get to stay in that Tshirt weather over the winter like down south, it gets cold up here.

tuffram
06-10-2011, 04:14 PM
Normally our first frost is after thanksgiving here. The only real cold months here are December and January. Glad to hear it is cooling off up there that is the major difference up north to south the temp fluctuates up and down big swings up north. The south is a very consistent Hot as He11 all the time it is normally in the low to mid 80's at night and is in the low 90's between 8am and 9am.

unit28
06-10-2011, 04:32 PM
don't let the Minnesota crowd fool you....:laugh:

Tonight
49 °F
Chance of Rain
30% chance of precipitation

Tomorrow
67 °F
Partly Cloudy

944own
06-10-2011, 06:20 PM
I was officially cutting grass on the surface of the sun today on TN. If you even want to call what we have left grass.