PDA

View Full Version : Average paver compaction measurement

xtreem3d
06-10-2011, 07:24 AM
Hey guys,
I was wanting to know what measurement do you normally add to raise the screeds to allow for the compaction of the pavers into the sand to meet an existing walk ? In other words 2 3/8" paver + 1" sand + ? (compaction "factor")
Thanks,
Steve

Bru75
06-10-2011, 08:43 AM
I bring the level of the compacted base to 3" below the top edge of the concrete, and use 3/4" iron pipe for sand screeding. After compaction the pavers end up being just right.

DVS Hardscaper
06-10-2011, 10:17 AM
1 inch of sand.

If less than thy you don't achieve proper compaction.

Pacers will comPact 1/2" into the sand.
Posted via Mobile Device

Gilmore.Landscaping
06-10-2011, 06:47 PM
I would agree that 1" in my area as well....but the for all i know this standard varies across the country. 1/4" is usually good, I find bigger pavers won't settle as much as small pavers to you need to adjust.

xtreem3d
06-11-2011, 08:39 PM
thanks.... sounds like you all add about a 1/4-1/2" to the base height to get the compaction to end up level. i just saw a gazillion vids and everyone of them measured the finished height from the driveway, patio ect ...not one of them compensated for the compaction

landscapemike2
06-12-2011, 10:17 PM
3/4 pipe is one inch so it will work just fine

DVS Hardscaper
06-13-2011, 09:56 AM
thanks.... sounds like you all add about a 1/4-1/2" to the base height to get the compaction to end up level. i just saw a gazillion vids and everyone of them measured the finished height from the driveway, patio ect ...not one of them compensated for the compaction

Correct. My small enterprise factors in 1/2".

And we use steel pipes. We do not use PVC. we use steel. Not PVC.

Posted via Mobile Device

xtreem3d
06-13-2011, 05:15 PM
i will be using steel also EXCEPT near one end where i will need to create a bowl effect to meet a sewer. i'll use pvc to conform to that slight slope,
Steve

zedosix
06-13-2011, 09:09 PM
1/4" to 3/8" depending on type of brick. If you are using blu then don't expect more than 1/8" to 1/4". Smaller brick tends to compact in the base further.

xtreem3d
06-13-2011, 09:23 PM
thanks...this is Belgard Holland stone 4"x8".

bought a couple new tools for this job. Accuscreed's megascreed which uses standard 1/2" rebar and their holders http://www.accuscreed.com/

And Pavetech's Sandscreed Pull Pro Adjustable http://www.pavetech.com/tools/sandpulladjust.shtm

On the Megascreed i recalibrated the nail for a 1" gas pipe instead of the 2" pipe it calls for

DVS Hardscaper
06-13-2011, 10:10 PM
just been sittin here waitin for someone to mention moisture content of the sand.......................................................

xtreem3d
06-14-2011, 08:34 PM
i dont do alot of paver work but it didn't take long to figure out moisture in the base and sand is a plus. sand should be 8-14% i believe
Steve

Gilmore.Landscaping
06-14-2011, 09:05 PM
And Pavetech's Sandscreed Pull Pro Adjustable http://www.pavetech.com/tools/sandpulladjust.shtm

On the Megascreed i recalibrated the nail for a 1" gas pipe instead of the 2" pipe it calls for

Your going to find that this probably wasn't the best use of money.... you will basiccally need to rough screed then use this bar the do a final screed = double the work.

Traditional method would be lat the screed bars get on your keens and use the 2x4 alumunim(or what ever) to even out the sand, using your hands.... yes hands.... to move excess sand from high to low areas.

just my opinion.

xtreem3d
06-15-2011, 06:52 AM
not sure i follow. this screed allows it to hold excess material to be dragged over a developing pile and placed farther down the screed pipes...if i understand what your saying. Have you used one?

Steve

TomG
06-15-2011, 07:18 PM
not sure i follow. this screed allows it to hold excess material to be dragged over a developing pile and placed farther down the screed pipes...if i understand what your saying. Have you used one?

Steve

Rest assured you have not wasted any money. It is a great tool, we have 8ft and 4ft ones. They work great and save a ton of time and you don't have to be on your knees at all. And if you get really good at it you wont even need to use screed bars.:)

xtreem3d
06-15-2011, 09:01 PM
That's great to hear Tom ,because it cost 1000.00 !!!!!! will hopefully get to try mine out tomorrow screeding base
Steve