PDA

View Full Version : Identify this Ferris walk behind

tuffram
06-10-2011, 09:00 AM
Can someone identify this Ferris walk behind model number and year is unknown. Is it belt drive or Hydro? Model number and possible years made?

elitelawnteam1
06-10-2011, 09:06 AM
That would be a Ferris Hydrowalk SD, I have a 36" model. The SD means single hydro drive instead of duals, that's why there are brakes to help you turn.

Can't help you out w/ models, i would assume there would be a tag somewhere?

tuffram
06-10-2011, 09:11 AM
Thanks for the info I am kind of new when it comes to the bigger walk behinds I would assume a single hydro would be better that a dual belt drive???

topsites
06-10-2011, 09:13 AM
Can't bid on stuff one doesn't know the value of and I'm not trying to be a hard ass but the mower needs repairs...

The thing is you have to know how to determine the answers to those questions you asked, you need at least that much
in ways of experience... The problem is once you obtain it you will need to get some parts and if we're already stumbling
before the bidding has started then I know this is going to be the situation with you asking questions every step of the way...
And that's not going to work out real good for you, it might but you're taking an awful chance in my opinion,
you don't know the difference between a hydro and a belt then we have no way of telling whether it needs a
$20 pulley or a $600 pump...
And that is crucial in determining the value, I can tell it needs repairs, the question here is how much...
If the mower is in some kind of shape, the cost of those repairs will play a determining factor in the value of that machine.

So I would look for something that's at least in running shape, it's one thing to put air in a flat tire but you have to know what it is
you're dealing with one, also if you're buying used I would check with your local dealers first, it's going to be tough finding a good
used mower with no experience and not get ripped off...

Which I'm not saying everyone's out to get you, but if someone is...
You have to know a few things, when buying used stuff from strangers, it helps.

Sorry if this wasn't the answer you were looking for.

tuffram
06-10-2011, 09:30 AM
I do know the difference between a hydro and belt drive I was just wondering about a single hydro verses a dual belt drive. I know the dual hydros are the best ones to have just curious about single hydro and dual belt drive. If I do get it I have a price limit and I would not spend more than a couple hundred bucks for this machine to buy it. I do know it is in running condition and it was removed from service due to the front wheel retainer coming of and losing all of the height adjustment spacers.

topsites
06-10-2011, 10:33 AM
All right, $200 for that is fair.
Of course it might end up selling for more and I guess that's what we're getting at.

As for hydro vs. belt, I would stay away from a single hydro and be done at that,
unfortunately beyond this you have to take a close look at the machine...

The retaining clip is a standard piece of hardware you should be able to get at any hardware store,
the spacer washers are a different story but those can be obtained from various parts sources as well
and shouldn't be too difficult.

Have you been out to look at it, or are you just going by that picture?

tuffram
06-10-2011, 11:28 AM
Just the picture I have talked to the shop supervisor he stated that due to the wheel assembly coming off and it was getting close to the time for them to purchase all new walk behinds they took all of their walk behinds out of service and bought new ones. I think he said this unit is around 5 years old.

elitelawnteam1
06-10-2011, 11:11 PM
Based on the permanent marker says, it tells me that this was part of a fleet of machines. Where the crews abuse the equipment... Go to craigslist and find something being sold by a solo operator. because as we all know, the owner takes better care of their equipment than the crew.

I bought mine used from a solo operator, and i'm the third solo operator to own it. and it still runs like new!

Richard Martin
06-11-2011, 04:28 AM
I think he said this unit is around 5 years old.

Ferris hasn't built that mower since 2004, so it's at least 7 years old. It's the really old SD design. It has an old Kawasaki 14 on it. They're okay but a bit underpowered for the 48" deck. I'd keep looking.