PDA

View Full Version : Down to three choices for a new ZTR

jtruck618
06-10-2011, 04:15 PM
I'm down to three choices on which mower I want to buy. Well, two actually; one is the same mower with different engine options.

Scag Tiger Cat 52" with 24hp Kawasaki and suspension seat. Price $8600 with tax=$9275 Scag only has 24mo financing though. Dealer will not move from that price at all. Dealer is close and I feel it would do a great job with any service. I really like how simple the Scag is. Very few belts etc.

Ferris IS1500Z with 26hp Kawasaki 52". Price $7700 with tax=$8227.45. Tax at this dealer is 1% lower than where Scag dealer is located. Confident this dealer would be great to deal with as well. I like the Ferris much more than the Exmark/Toro and others I looked at. Other dealers didn't impress me as much either. I like a good dealer for big purchases. I can also get this same Ferris mower with a 22hp Kawasaki for $7200. Dealer said this engine would be plenty for me. Didn't try to upsell me to the 26hp at all.

I mow my 3+ acres and that is pretty much it. I want a nice cut, and from what I've read, the velocity deck is hard to beat. The ICD gets really good reviews as well. My yard is bumpy in some places but the suspension seat on the Scag and suspension on the Ferris is just an added bonus.

I will have two little ones in full time daycare in a few months which is major cash..........I mean major major cash. So, it seems the Ferris deal would be best financially. I will put at least 3k down and spread out the payments over 36mo with no interest. I wish Scag was 36mo. Heck, I looked at a Kubota 227, which is a very nice machine by the way, and it has 60mo no interest. The transmission in it scared me away though. Look like major repair bills if something went south years down the road.

I respect everyones opinion on here and have received great advice in the past. Im just a homeowner who loves to cut grass, not a professional. Im one of those in another field.

Anyways, I'm thinking the Ferris is the best for me. Either engine option should do me well. I know of the Simplicity Citation being a mirror of the Ferris but I'm not sure if it would bring the same in re-sale or trade in value the Ferris would. I think the two use different hydro pumps too, but Im not positive on that. Will be waiting for your advice. Not sure I can go wrong here though.

THG
06-10-2011, 04:33 PM
Are you ever going to have a need to bag grass or leaves? If you will ever need to do that then I would go for the 24 HP or more because the bagger sucks a lot of horsepower. I have only demoed a Ferris so I do not have any long term experience with them. I use Scags and they are very dependable and have great resale. I would go with the Scag because it is the most popular mower in my area and thus it is very easy to sell it later on. I have nothing against Ferris though. I do know that I could buy that Scag lower than what your dealer is selling it for.

scagdude
06-10-2011, 04:41 PM
Honestly, I have no real experience with Ferris. But, we run a ton of scags and absolutely love them. Very rare maintenance and when there is, it's not expensive. I can tell you that price on a tiger cat is crazy. Those are between 7000&7500 including tax at my dealer. If you have another dealer around, I might suggest getting a quote from them.

jtruck618
06-10-2011, 04:51 PM
I would love to find one for that price. I would jump on it. Where about are you? I checked two dealers in person, both had same price.
Posted via Mobile Device

scagdude
06-10-2011, 05:24 PM
I'm in Texas. Scag is very popular here and that's probably why they can go a little lower on the price. A Turf Tiger is only about $500 more expensive here than that tiger cat u were quoted on.

rwaters
06-10-2011, 05:30 PM
I would love to find one for that price. I would jump on it. Where about are you? I checked two dealers in person, both had same price.
Posted via Mobile Device

While I am not a scag dealer that price does seem a little high I have a bobcat 61" Procat with a 26hp Kawasaki engine and full pumps and wheel motors for 7999. I can not see how a 52" scag is that much higher as I thought they were closer then that to me. I am also not that far from you so the prices for your dealers should be close.

SouthSide Cutter
06-10-2011, 06:22 PM
Posted via Mobile Device

Get on line and check Southern Indiana Equipment. They are at the 113 mile marker on I64.

Bilrus61
06-10-2011, 08:00 PM
I'm in southern KY and the tiger cat is 8500 with 24 Kawi and 52 inch deck. Turf tiger with 61 inch deck and 35 brigs big block is $12,000. Dealer won't budge a penny.

tuffram
06-10-2011, 10:25 PM
Do not let the Trans on the Kubota scare you they are bulletproof and the new Kubota gas engines have awesome power and very easy on fuel. I run the zg222 and love it the new design Pro Commercial decks are awesome they leave a perfect cut and have a ton of anti scalp wheels compared to some other models. I would go with the sacg or Kubota whichever one you can get the best price on. You will not beat Kubota financing on any other ZTR 60 months 0% interest borrow their money for 5 years and not pay them back a dime more than you borrow canít beat it.

SouthSide Cutter
06-10-2011, 11:21 PM
I'm in southern KY and the tiger cat is 8500 with 24 Kawi and 52 inch deck. Turf tiger with 61 inch deck and 35 brigs big block is $12,000. Dealer won't budge a penny.

He is high and can keep them at that price.

jtruck618
06-11-2011, 12:09 AM
Do not let the Trans on the Kubota scare you they are bulletproof and the new Kubota gas engines have awesome power and very easy on fuel. I run the zg222 and love it the new design Pro Commercial decks are awesome they leave a perfect cut and have a ton of anti scalp wheels compared to some other models. I would go with the sacg or Kubota whichever one you can get the best price on. You will not beat Kubota financing on any other ZTR 60 months 0% interest borrow their money for 5 years and not pay them back a dime more than you borrow canít beat it.
I agree, the Kubota is an awesome machine. I just see high dollar signs 6-8 years is something goes south. Only Kubota would supply the parts, so who knows the cost. I might regret it, who knows. What is the warranty on the units? Didn't see it in the book.
Posted via Mobile Device

tacoma200
06-11-2011, 12:21 AM

Go to Somerset, the dealer had one for under $10,000 last time I looked (TT 35 hp).

ALC-GregH
06-11-2011, 10:34 AM
I paid $6800 4 years ago for my Tiger Cub with a 25/61.

ommegang
06-11-2011, 11:05 AM
http://sleequipment.com/

STIHL GUY
06-11-2011, 12:24 PM

i priced out a 61" tiger cat with a 27 hp for $8999 + tax. That was just the list price so after talking to the dealer i would be able to get it cheaper

Aaronnc
06-11-2011, 01:47 PM
I know around here (NC) the lowest I've seen the 24 Kaw for was $7999 and the 25 Kohler for $7899 with the 52 deck.

darioc
06-11-2011, 03:18 PM
i priced out a 61" tiger cat with a 27 hp for $8999 + tax. That was just the list price so after talking to the dealer i would be able to get it cheaper

just scooped up a left over tiger cat 27/61 for $7400+tax from my local dealer here in woodstock, ct :drinkup:

Pennington Lawncare
06-12-2011, 06:04 AM
Get on line and check Southern Indiana Equipment. They are at the 113 mile marker on I64.

This is the best advice I've read recently. I drove up there to get my mower and it saved me over $1,500. For you guys who live anywhere around there this should be a no brainer.

jtruck618
06-12-2011, 01:23 PM
What did u get?
Posted via Mobile Device

jtruck618
06-12-2011, 01:38 PM
Believe I'm going with the Ferris. I have a slope to mow that I cannot vertically. Hope the suspension doesn't let it lean too much.
Posted via Mobile Device