PDA

View Full Version : Help identify this plant!

stevesmowing
06-10-2011, 09:41 PM
I was mowing today and brushed up next to this weed which was about 4 feet tall. As it turns out it has thousands of thin but VERY sharp prickers all over it. It seems that the prickers break off and then stay in your skin causing it to burn. Any ideas what the plant is called?

topsites
06-10-2011, 09:52 PM
That looks to be a Stinging Nettle, unfortunately that's also the only thing that comes to mind
besides the few plants I know that isn't, but that's what I think it likely could be, a stinging nettle.

The pain is intense and lasts for some time, but is otherwise temporary and except for severe cases, mostly harmless.
Just burns like a biatch, really.

stevesmowing
06-10-2011, 09:59 PM
Bingo! Anyone got any good tips on getting rid of it? It's taking over part of their property. Just Roundup it?

dKoester
06-10-2011, 10:24 PM
You can also eat it after its prepared.

topsites
06-10-2011, 10:40 PM
Apparently Round-up kills them quite well, although some follow-up may be required.

stevesmowing
06-10-2011, 11:51 PM
You can also eat it after its prepared.

after what it did to my arm no thank you. I read in Europe there is a contest to see who can eat the most! That's crazy!!!!

dKoester
06-10-2011, 11:59 PM
after what it did to my arm no thank you. I read in Europe there is a contest to see who can eat the most! That's crazy!!!!

That is a contest for who wants to get stung. When prepared correctly it doesn't sting. No worries.

Ridin' Green
06-11-2011, 12:04 AM
Stinging Nettle is used in a lot of health foods and suppliments. Just check the label sometime when you are at a store.