PDA

View Full Version : Extension of concrete pad at front entrance

PSUhardscaper
06-10-2011, 08:44 PM
I haven't looked at this job yet, so the info I'm posting is all I know. I just want to head into the initial consultation with a little background info on possible options for the homeowner.

I had a referral from a builder for a homeowner looking to extend their poured concrete pad (about) 6x6' at their front door entrance. Extension will make new total dimensions of the pad about 8x10'.

This is not a newly constructed house.

My question to you guys is what is the best way to approach extending the pad and overlaying it with pavers? The paver part is not the issue, I need to know whether this new extension needs additional poured concrete for a base pad, or if I can do it with a normal paver base.
geotex, 6" compacted gravel, ect...

shovelracer
06-10-2011, 08:50 PM
depends how good you are. it would be best to rip out the pad with it being so small. if you join the pads together it would be your next bet if the grounds are questionable. That said having to pour anything would greatly increase the price as most guys can remove the existing and have the new pavers in no more than 1 day, where with a poured addition you are now in for 2 separate trips.

PSUhardscaper
06-12-2011, 10:34 AM
Update:

Like I said, I had not seen the job when the original post went up. Well, the pad at the entrance is more like 12x18, so tearing up the pad to increase its dimensions by a few feet seems like a waste of time.

So the question becomes do I just put in a 2A stone pad around the existing pad and explain that we may have to come back in few years to level out the pavers (if necessary) or do I suggest pouring a new concrete border around the existing pad?

Gilmore.Landscaping
06-12-2011, 10:53 AM
I would say since you said the home has been there a while the ground has probably settled all its going to, so just excavate and add gravel base as you would for any other patio install.

DVS Hardscaper
06-12-2011, 11:29 AM
Not sure if you stated this, but how much are they lookin to extend it by?

We have excavated around existing concrete and installed/compacted crusher run to extend. Never had any problems. And he have jobs dating back to 2001 where this was done. Use your fabric. Make sure everything is well compacted and done top notch.

Or, really, 12x18 is not that big. It would take about 30-45 minutes to break it with a breaker on a skid steer (I can't tell you how many thousand of tons of concrete we have broken up this year), another 15 minutes to cut any rebar that's still connecting the rubble together, and another 20 minutes to pick up the rubble and load on a 26,000 gvw truck.

So in all reality, the production time may be just the same if you remove the slab as opposed to keeping the slab.

and oh, do not say that you may have to come back to relevel. that's a negative selling point. that'll cost you the job. That's what your warranty is for. When you bought your new truck did GM tell you that you may have to come back in 14 months because an injector pump recall may develop?

on the other hand, It's becomming more and more common for people pour slabs and lay pavers over it....

SVA_Concrete
06-12-2011, 06:02 PM
sounds pretty easy to drill in dowels every 2 feet and add on to the existing concrete.

will your elevations work if you lay over top of the concrete pad?

DVS Hardscaper
06-12-2011, 07:23 PM
sounds pretty easy to drill in dowels every 2 feet and add on to the existing concrete.

will your elevations work if you lay over top of the concrete pad?

dowels went through my mind as well!

I am NO concrete guy by any means.

But we demolish alotta concrete monthly as part of another division that I've started. Through the demolition I see and learn alot about how concrete is reinforced.

For the folks that are not well versed in concrete, and skeptical of what SVA is talking about, let me say: the dowels WILL do just fine. Back in January we did a nice demo job in the bitter cold. There was a concrete slab anchored to the foundation via dowel rods. The ground under the slab had sunk by about 8-inches. But thanks to those dowels.....the slab remained darn near level.

zedosix
06-12-2011, 08:31 PM
We've done this a few times in the past, best way by far is to drill and insert rebar from new to existing concrete, base should be as solid if not more than pavers. Any other method you are asking for repair work in a matter of years.

PSUhardscaper
06-17-2011, 10:54 AM
So here are the pics. Homeowner has pushed back the initial meeting until later next week so i'm not sure exactly how much the existing pad will be extended by - probably 2x the original square footage based on the homeowners idea. I'm still not sure whether new concrete or a gravel base is the better option to extend the patio.

They want a new design - so concrete guys, am I looking at a much higher cost by incorporating curves in new concrete to be formed as opposed to 90 degree angles and straight lines? I will be subbing out the conc work

SVA_Concrete
06-18-2011, 07:44 AM
i will probably get flamed for this but......

Why not clean and re seal the patio to bring back the color. and then put your extension on with stamped concrete of a contrasting color and pattern. like a border of sorts

i would still dowel the concrete together

The curves shouldn't add much cost.

SimonCX
06-18-2011, 06:20 PM
i will probably get flamed for this but......

Why not clean and re seal the patio to bring back the color. and then put your extension on with stamped concrete of a contrasting color and pattern. like a border of sorts

i would still dowel the concrete together

The curves shouldn't add much cost.

I was thinking the same thing.