PDA

View Full Version : Generac 33HP

Bagit
06-10-2011, 10:23 PM
I'd like to hear from a few users of the Generac 33hp. My choice of mowers is boiling down to two brands. The Bobcat Predator Pro 61" w/33hp Generac and a Gravely Pro Turn 260 w/27hp Kawi FX.

Help me out if you can.

watatrp
06-10-2011, 10:52 PM
Tons of power. Have never had it bog down even when cutting thick tall graas. Fairly good on fuel. I've had a 27 hp Kawasaki in the past and this has a lot more power.

Snyder's Lawn Inc
06-10-2011, 10:56 PM
I'd like to hear from a few users of the Generac 33hp. My choice of mowers is boiling down to two brands. The Bobcat Predator Pro 61" w/33hp Generac and a Gravely Pro Turn 260 w/27hp Kawi FX.

Help me out if you can.

I have 2 33 hp they are a horse that likes gas
Did hear that Briggs bought the Generac company

Darryl G
06-10-2011, 11:14 PM
I have never had that engine but last season looked into buying the Predator Pro with the 33 on it. It's a bit hard to find info on them but I did find a good bit here after wading through a lot of posts.

What I found, and keep in mind that this is all basically heresay since I have no direct knowledge of Generac engines, is that for the most part people really like them. They run at a higher rpm so you get a bit more top speed out of the machine...this is apparently because generators typically run at a higher rpm and that's primarily what Generac makes engines for. The blade tip speed is the same though (different pulley). What people really seem to praise about the engines is that they are very well governed so they handle loads with very little change in rpms, very even running and handle loads really well (another requirment of a generator). Considering that machines with this engine really fly, that's a real plus. I'm speculating that if you've got some large wide open areas to mow it would be a very productive mower/engine combo.

About the only negatives I found about them from my research is that they are not very well known/very common so you may have to look a bit harder for a shop should it need repairs, and resale value may suffer a bit.

Mowingman
06-10-2011, 11:25 PM
Briggs only bought the small generator/small engine part of the Generac company. These are the cheap generators you see for sale at places like Northern Tool, H.D. and Lowes. The engines used in ZRT's are still built by Generac.

I have 2 33 hp they are a horse that likes gas
Did hear that Briggs bought the Generac company

Darryl G
06-10-2011, 11:27 PM
Here, maybe this will help:

http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=263154

White Gardens
06-10-2011, 11:30 PM
Briggs only bought the small generator/small engine part of the Generac company. These are the cheap generators you see for sale at places like Northern Tool, H.D. and Lowes. The engines used in ZRT's are still built by Generac.

The Generac Standby Generator only comes with a Briggs engine now which stinks as I love the generac motor.

Even using a 27 horse generac on a 62" Dixie Chopper is great for power in tough grass and I'd only assume that the 33 would be even better. The only time the 27 has any problems is when the X-blades are on the machine in the spring time when the grass is the thickest.

Bagit
06-10-2011, 11:30 PM
I've got a dealer close by that carries Dixie Chopper brand that uses the 33 Generac, so repairs may not be a problem. The Gravely mower is a bit cheaper through a different dealer though. If some contracts I bid on recently are awarded to me I'm going to need a bigger mower.

Thanks for the input so far.

Lbilawncare
06-10-2011, 11:34 PM
I run Dixie Choppers with the 33hp Generacs on them. They are great engines with a ton of torque. I have one that has 2800 hours on it with no problems at all. (Proper maintenance is key)

DanManofStihl
06-11-2011, 08:04 AM
I used to run my welder off of the 1,000 cc 15,000 watt generac generators I don't remember what h/p it was but that thing ran great even in the coldest temp or the most blistering heat. That thing sucked down about 2 or 3 gallons of fuel an hour running at max cap though it was the only issue with it. Seemed liked everytime I would start it I would be dumping 10 gallons of fuel in it. I have seen them with 3,000 hours on them on job sites still purring though.

gravelyman50
06-11-2011, 09:01 AM
i have the 27 on my gravely pro turn 260.. I was cutting foot tall thick grass the other day and all the motor did was make a different tone to it. Plenty of power. Keep your blades sharp and deck scraped, that there is worth 2 horsepower. Keeps the grass flowing fast under the deck and exiting quick reducing bog

I guess i dont understand those 33 and 37 hp motors. If you do weekly lawn mowing you will never need anything more than a 27. Now if you do monthly mowing, then you might want to get the bigger motor. Not to mention on all the lawns you do were you are only cutting off two inches of grass or so, your waisting fuel running that big motor verses a smaller one.

Pennington Lawncare
06-11-2011, 10:02 AM
I've had mine since Spring of 09 and I've had the valves adjusted and other than oil changes that has been it and I did put in some new spark plugs.

The power is great and the fuel consumption is no issue at all for me. I think any of these guys with the smaller engines will not want a small engine again after having something as powerful as a Generac. I cringe a little when I hear those 27 hp engines dropping rpm's when they turn or start to move or when they get into some slightly heavy grass. There is no comparison and if you try to cut some thick or tall grass on one of those smaller engined mowers it may very well use more fuel than the Generac since it's not in that much of a strain and the 27 will be straining it's guts out the entire time and you'll be having to go slower to make sure it was actually cutting.

gravelyman50
06-11-2011, 03:41 PM
so you think a 27 hp kawi is straining its guts out while mowing, and bogs when you turn it or move it? How long have you been in the business, cause my 23 hp on my 160 doesnt even strain its guts out. I can mower foot tall thick grass and blow it out the discharge about 10 feet, with hardly any bogging. But that is not practical mowing.

Weekly maintenance is practical mowing, and i ususally mow about 3/4 trottle on my 27hp:waving:

Darryl G
06-11-2011, 04:19 PM
The only time I throttle down when mowing is if I don't want to throw stuff into beds or it's dry/dusty/bare. Otherwise it's WOT. You should not make a habit of mowing throttled down unless there's a good reason for it.

Mowingman
06-11-2011, 05:38 PM
I know we are getting a little off topic here, but I just have to put in my 2 cents on this horsepower thing. We have been played for suckers by the mower manufacturers and the engine manufacturers. Always told more HP is just what we have always needed.
Let me tell you, I have mowed commercially for almost 50 years. Yes, there will ALWAYS be times when MORE HP would be nice. Is that every time we mow? is it a lot of the time when we mow? The answer is NO.
In average mowing conditions that we all face, and I am talking average, we can use way less HP than the manufacturers are pushing us to use, and do just fine. My first push mower was a 1953 Huffy with about a 3 1/2 HP engine. I still have it and it still runs. It seems to have more torque, and mows every bit as good as the the 6HP Kawasaki on my new Ariens.
I purchased my first ZTR in 1994. It was a 60" Bobcat with a 22HP Kohler Command. I mowed some huge industrial properties on a biweekly basis. They received fert. and also had sprinkler systems. That mower mowed great and mowed fast enough for the ground conditions. Yes, some weeks in the spring a little more power would have been nice, but it certainly was not a necessity. In more recent years I mowed it with a 28HP diesel 72" ZTR. Sure, I saved a few minutes every mow, but not nearly enough savings to justify the cost of that big HP diesel.
You/we, are all being played for fools so the manufacturers can claim a valid reason for increased machine prices every time we turn around.
OK, I am off my soapbox now. But, I will never again buy a mower with a huge, gas sucking engine.

HenryB
06-11-2011, 08:04 PM
By putting bigger engines they call it "improvements". There should be a lot more research and design in these $12000 ZTR's not just bigger engines.

Bagit
06-11-2011, 11:16 PM
By putting bigger engines they call it "improvements". There should be a lot more research and design in these $12000 ZTR's not just bigger engines.

Your point is well taken, Henry B. Thanks to others as well.

Snyder's Lawn Inc
06-12-2011, 12:09 AM
That not what a Dixie Chopper Rep said

Huling
06-12-2011, 12:30 AM
I know we are getting a little off topic here, but I just have to put in my 2 cents on this horsepower thing. We have been played for suckers by the mower manufacturers and the engine manufacturers. Always told more HP is just what we have always needed.
Let me tell you, I have mowed commercially for almost 50 years. Yes, there will ALWAYS be times when MORE HP would be nice. Is that every time we mow? is it a lot of the time when we mow? The answer is NO.
In average mowing conditions that we all face, and I am talking average, we can use way less HP than the manufacturers are pushing us to use, and do just fine. My first push mower was a 1953 Huffy with about a 3 1/2 HP engine. I still have it and it still runs. It seems to have more torque, and mows every bit as good as the the 6HP Kawasaki on my new Ariens.
I purchased my first ZTR in 1994. It was a 60" Bobcat with a 22HP Kohler Command. I mowed some huge industrial properties on a biweekly basis. They received fert. and also had sprinkler systems. That mower mowed great and mowed fast enough for the ground conditions. Yes, some weeks in the spring a little more power would have been nice, but it certainly was not a necessity. In more recent years I mowed it with a 28HP diesel 72" ZTR. Sure, I saved a few minutes every mow, but not nearly enough savings to justify the cost of that big HP diesel.
You/we, are all being played for fools so the manufacturers can claim a valid reason for increased machine prices every time we turn around.
OK, I am off my soapbox now. But, I will never again buy a mower with a huge, gas sucking engine.

Mowingman, You have nailed it! My Daddy alway said "Nothing was more important than experience and information provided by the indigenous people". You have both. Keep up the insightful comments!

Razorblades
06-12-2011, 01:14 AM

Help me out if you can.

I have a Lastec mower with the 32 Generac and a 61" deck. I have not had any trouble with the Generac at all. It is very powerful, starts easy and uses about 1.65 Gallons per hour. It also does not use any oil. It has about 700 hours on it.

I've read quite a few different posts from people that said that their 27 HP Kawasaki powered mowers were using anywhere from 1.6 to 2.0 gallons per hour.

As for the off topic discussion about excesive hp engines; in my case I get more benefit from the extra HP and torque of the larger engine because nearly all of the lawns/yards that I mow have a lot of bahia and dallis grass in them and about half of my yards are cut biweekly. In those instances, I can use the extra power when mowing two week high bahia and dallis grass. I think I would have to mow quite abit slower if I had a 25 hp engine on my mower in those conditions. I also bet that I would use about as much gas with the 25 hp mower because I would be working the engine alot harder.

Huling
06-12-2011, 01:19 AM

HB..... good comments! Keep it up. This sight is only interesting when "knowledgeable" people make comments. I generally keep quiet, and like to hear from those with greater experience.

Mowingman
06-12-2011, 01:29 AM
Well, I hate to say it, but the D.C. rep does not know what he is talking about. They need to find a better informed rep to cover your area.
Generac Holdings is the name of the company that makes all Generac engines and generators, except for the cheap line of generators I mentioned above. They are in no way related to Briggs and Stratton.

That not what a Dixie Chopper Rep said

gravelyman50
06-12-2011, 08:37 PM
I have a Lastec mower with the 32 Generac and a 61" deck. I have not had any trouble with the Generac at all. It is very powerful, starts easy and uses about 1.65 Gallons per hour. It also does not use any oil. It has about 700 hours on it.

I've read quite a few different posts from people that said that their 27 HP Kawasaki powered mowers were using anywhere from 1.6 to 2.0 gallons per hour.

As for the off topic discussion about excesive hp engines; in my case I get more benefit from the extra HP and torque of the larger engine because nearly all of the lawns/yards that I mow have a lot of bahia and dallis grass in them and about half of my yards are cut biweekly. In those instances, I can use the extra power when mowing two week high bahia and dallis grass. I think I would have to mow quite abit slower if I had a 25 hp engine on my mower in those conditions. I also bet that I would use about as much gas with the 25 hp mower because I would be working the engine alot harder.

Do you think the ford F-250 with a v-10 gets better gas mileage cause you dont have to work it harder too? You can drive a v-10 like you have an egg under the pedal, and youll still be lucky to see 10mpg.. Bigger displacement and bigger carbs is more fuel. plain and simple. my 27 hp kawi gets 1.4 gph last week, all hand calculated, and thats mowing some think grass. so your motor does slightly worse fuel economy. Just had to clear that up for you.

dbear
06-12-2011, 09:35 PM
Do you think the ford F-250 with a v-10 gets better gas mileage cause you dont have to work it harder too? You can drive a v-10 like you have an egg under the pedal, and youll still be lucky to see 10mpg.. Bigger displacement and bigger carbs is more fuel. plain and simple. my 27 hp kawi gets 1.4 gph last week, all hand calculated, and thats mowing some think grass. so your motor does slightly worse fuel economy. Just had to clear that up for you.
Granted this is going slightly off-topic. With my F350 4x4 with 3.73s, I consistently get 12-13 mpg (empty), and not that I'm always smokin' the tires, there's no egg under the pedal. Have gotten 15-16 highway (again empty). Towing 7500# with another 2000# in the bed, yeah, it's 9-10. Stepson had an F150 w/5.4 & same gears; only got 12-13 around town, and 15-16 highway. I'm thinking I got the better engine.

Razorblades
06-13-2011, 02:12 AM

I'm happy for you if that's what you avg. in heavy cutting conditions with that engne. Research the threads and you'll see alot of guys with the 27 and 31 Kawasaki that are avging in the 1.6 to 2 gph. I didn't make it up.

Bigger carb and more dispacement does add up to more fuel usage, compared to a smaller engine IF both engines are working an equal amount or close to equal and if those engines are performing at about the same VE level(Volumetric Efficiency). If that 25 or 27 hp engine is having to spend a high percentage of its running time with the governor kicking in and staying open alot (like when mowing in conditions like I previously described) to try to keep the rpms up on the engine, it will use alot more gas than when mowing in normal conditions.

Also, you will probably have to slow down more with a smaller engine when cutting in those conditions, which means it will take you longer to do the job.

It might not make much difference if you're cutting small residential lawns but if you're cutting lawns with around 3+ acres in the conditions that I earlier described, it will make a significant time difference.

I know what deck size/hp combo is best for me, considering the size accounts that I have the types of grass/weeds that I cut and the mowing frequency that I have to maintain them. Bye the way, I have used a 25 hp 60" ztr in the past, in these conditions, on these same properties that i've referred to, so I speak from personal experience about the fuel usage issue and the extra time that it takes me to cut these properties with the smaller combo.....Just wanted to cear that up for you.

watatrp
06-13-2011, 07:40 AM
so you think a 27 hp kawi is straining its guts out while mowing, and bogs when you turn it or move it? How long have you been in the business, cause my 23 hp on my 160 doesnt even strain its guts out. I can mower foot tall thick grass and blow it out the discharge about 10 feet, with hardly any bogging. But that is not practical mowing.

Weekly maintenance is practical mowing, and i ususally mow about 3/4 trottle on my 27hp:waving:

I owned a Scag w/ a 27 hp Kawasaki for nearly 8 years. I now have the 33 hp Generac on my DC. Although the Kawasaki was an excellent power plant, there were times when the engine did slow down when mowing heavy wet grass. The Generac has not done that. Side by side, the Generac has more power. I see fuel comsumption almost identical. When the engine is warm, I can start the blades up at idle. I've owned and used both engines. I give the Generac an edge for more power.

gravelyman50
06-13-2011, 09:02 AM
im not saying it doesnt have more power, sure its got more power, its alot bigger displacment engine. The only point that i was tring to get across is if you are doing weekly maintnaince there is no way grass can grow so much in one week no matter how much it rains that a 27hp is going to bog or stuggle while cutting grass. I dont care if the grass is wet, dry, or whatever. Now if you have contracts that are biweekly then i can see a point getting the bigger motor.

The scag that you had could you had a differnet pulley setup causing the hp to be not as effiecient as other mowers? dont know, But i can not bog my 27hp pro turn even mowing foot tall grass, maybe I will try and find something that hasnt been mowed yet this year and give that a shot, it will probably bog through that though.

Razorblades
06-13-2011, 11:13 PM
I think that you guys are probably talking about two different series of Kawasaki 27 HP engines. I don't thik that the fx series 851 cc engine has been around 8 years. The 27 Hp engine in the Scag must have been a smaller cc engine from an older series and probably had considerably less torque than the FX series engine that you have on the Gravely.

I think that the FX series 27 Kawsaki makes about 51 or 52 ft lbs of torque which is considerably more than the older 25 Kawasaki, the 26 liquid cooled Kawasaki or the 27 Kohler engines make.

I agree that if you're mowing weekly accounts with a 60" deck then the 27 Kawasaki (FX series) should be plenty of power, but if you can get a 32/32 hp Generac or 32/35 HP Vanguard powered engine for the same money or less, and they don't burn any more fuel than the 27 or 31 FX series Kawasaki powered mower then what would be wrong with using those setups on weekly accounts?