PDA

View Full Version : Easy watering idea for you guys

kirk1701
06-11-2011, 08:47 AM
Come up with an idea I thought I'd share with you all.

I have about 40 holly bushes down one side of my property for privacy, some grape vines, roses and other plants also. Some are on a hill and in clay/ loom soil and the soil dries out FAST not to mention this heat wave were in they need water daily.

I just bought 300 feet of soaker hoses but soaker hoses only go so far and what about the "in between space from bush to bush" :confused:

So I'm a pack rat, I save everything even garbage :laugh:
I have about 50 - 1-lb coffee cans and about 25 - 1 gallon jugs of empty Gatorade bottles I knew would come in handy for something some day so I just kept saving and now suddenly an idea sprung to mind :clapping:

I drilled a hole for an S-Hook in the top of the coffee can and a 1/32" hole in the bottom. Fill it with water and you got yourself a drip line :clapping:

http://img94.imageshack.us/img94/6952/img1091i.th.jpg (http://img94.imageshack.us/img94/6952/img1091i.jpg)

The 1/32" hole was a wee bit to big so I went to a needle, heated that with a lighter and burned a hole in the bottom with that, perfection :drinkup:

On the Gatorade jugs the pressure is to great while filled completely full so those I sit next to the bush on the ground and just leave till they are empty.

Kiril
06-11-2011, 09:20 AM
Call a real irrigator. :rolleyes:

kirk1701
06-11-2011, 09:49 AM
Call a real irrigator. :rolleyes:

Need I say more?
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/nazareth/finger.gif

If you don't have anything positive to say Kiril keep your comments to yourself.

I won't reply back to your http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k292/abs724/Smilies%20Hut/postwhore.gif

so troll all you want

Kiril
06-12-2011, 09:27 AM
That was a positive comment Kirk.

AI Inc
06-12-2011, 09:58 AM
yeah it was. Who the hell wants a hobo drip line that looks like the town dump.

GreenI.A.
06-12-2011, 11:38 AM
You know what I love. Working all day to pay my mortgage and rediculous property taxes, and coming home to enjoy my home's beutiful landscaping with a couple nice cold beers on my porch. But do you know what would really make it worth all the more? Knowing that while I'm looking forward to that beer and enjoying my beutiful yard I can look over to my neighbors yard and see 50 Coffee cans and 25 Gatorade bottles strune about. I wonder if your neighbors think that too.

GreenI.A.
06-12-2011, 11:39 AM
What's that saying "Good fences make good neighbors"
I'm betting your neighbors are hoping that privecy hedge grows in really quick and really thick.

GreenI.A.
06-12-2011, 11:43 AM
Just saw a coffee comercial and they changed their jingle

"The best part of waking up, is Folgers in your shrub"

Smallaxe
06-13-2011, 09:12 AM
Poke a hole in an old hose next to each shrub and turn it on, while enjoying the beers in the garden... The hose will reach a lot further than a soaker hose without losing pressure... :)

kirk1701
06-13-2011, 02:45 PM
Poke a hole in an old hose next to each shrub and turn it on, while enjoying the beers in the garden... The hose will reach a lot further than a soaker hose without losing pressure... :)

Thanks smallaxe but I've done got the soaker hoses, almost 400 feet of um to be exact I just haven't had time to put them down yet. However there are area's a soaker hose just won't do no good which is why I used the pic above which is a good example, that's the only thing I need to water on that side of the yard and its on the other side of the driveway.

What's that saying "Good fences make good neighbors"
I'm betting your neighbors are hoping that privecy hedge grows in really quick and really thick.

Actually I'm the only one with the fences, and the shrub to hide the clutter my next door neighbor has built up which is why I need all the soaker hoses. Plus, I got honeysuckles weaved into my chain link fence for privacy to hide her backyard mess.

Not as if I have anything to prove, but see for yourself, I'm actually the only one with a yard in my neighborhood, the rest have crabgrass/Bermuda lawns.

Lawn
http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.1642355912220.72620.1636527708&l=fef9622e9b

Landscape
http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.1642326031473.72618.1636527708&l=a03d1367ff

And I've said this before, it was the members on this site that helped me to get it to where its at today.

QualityLawnCare4u
06-13-2011, 02:51 PM
Necessity is the mother of all inventions!:usflag:

Smallaxe
06-13-2011, 11:03 PM
When you use soaker hoses, there is a point in which they run out of steam... we have run 75 foot of soaker hose on one supply, and put the other 75 foot on another feeder hose in order to go 150 feet... but it involves flipping the flipper on "Y" union to make it happen...

I prefer having the client using something other than soakers over great distances... Mulch and flooding is the best strategy because it is only a couple times a week at the most... :)

BrunoT
06-14-2011, 11:05 AM
You know, this WAS at one time a website for professionals so they could trade stories and tips and communicate on a level somewhat higher than we're seeing in recent years.

I'm not sure coffee cans and plastic jugs scattered around is what they had in mind when they started it. (nor for that matter tips to homeowners on the professional mowing forum on how to buy a mower so they don't have to hire us!)

Yours was more of a solution one would find at a website for home gardeners. Or even for installers in need of a quick fix. I don't do irrigation but I can understand how it might annoy those who do to come use this site to spread tips, however helpful, to help people avoid installing real irrigation systems, or help them avoid paying for proper installs that are designed to retain water and have the proper soil structure for mature plants to survive in dry times w/o resorting to junky looking measures. For mature plants, if you can't pop a hose on it once a week, you probably need to possibly look at other issues in terms of soil and plant selection.

Btw, the hollies will probably be fine w/o irrigation. In 19 years I haven't seen one dead from drought yet. Not a rose expert by any means, but my double knockouts don't get irrigated and look fine even though we went almost 4 weeks w/o rain here recently. I know most of my customers' roses do not get any irrigation and again I've never seen a dead one. In fact, my roses' problem is growing too fast up top despite no rain! They also seem pretty sturdy. I certainly wouldn't think they needed anything daily. If I'm not mistaken, clay soils retain moisture the best of any. The hard part is getting it in there. If you have plants on a slope and don't have a basin around each to trap rainfall, and mulch as well, the water will just drain off down the slope. It's also important to properly amend the soil when planting, not just use the hard clay you dug up when installing them.

kirk1701
06-14-2011, 12:10 PM
When you use soaker hoses, there is a point in which they run out of steam... we have run 75 foot of soaker hose on one supply, and put the other 75 foot on another feeder hose in order to go 150 feet... but it involves flipping the flipper on "Y" union to make it happen...

I prefer having the client using something other than soakers over great distances... Mulch and flooding is the best strategy because it is only a couple times a week at the most... :)

Yep, done found that out too, I tried connecting two 75 footers together and seems like the first hose released all the water and the second didn't do anything.

I got quick connects on the end of mine but still involves a little manual intervention moving the hose to the next section. However I have yet not needed them (knock on wood) and with all the floods we've got our share of rain too and its raining again now.

6+ inched above normal for the season right now but I'm not complaining :laugh:

welldone2523
07-19-2011, 08:39 PM
KIRK1707,

Thank you for taking the time to inform us on an ingenious way:clapping: of keeping healthy growth when we cant get it naturally...

Agape
07-23-2011, 10:51 AM
Crap! Now i gotta drink 80 gatorades and 500 pots of coffee before the hot weekend!!

JDiepstra
07-23-2011, 12:20 PM
Wow you guys are all soooo cool. Pffffft. Nice jugs man.
Posted via Mobile Device